Do The Holsters You Have Influence the Gun You Buy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do The Holsters You Have Influence the Gun You Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do The Holsters You Have Influence the Gun You Buy?

My SA 1911 TRP is my baby. I'll admit that. But recently I've been excited about getting a high-cap pistol as well.

I currently have a SA XD-9, but I never take it anywhere because I don't have any type of holster for it other than the slide it came with. I'm also not a big fan of 9mm and actually bought it for my wife so that I could teach her the fundamentals of marksmanship with a controllable, yet full-size firearm.

My hope is that Springfield Armory will come out with an XDm in 10mm. I'll probably spring for it when they do but I have to admit that the idea of doing seems a lot more expensive once I roll it around in my head.

With the exception of the 9mm and my S&W 686, I've always bought 1911s (not compact) and they all work with all the holsters I have. Upgrading to a completely different frame means that I'll have to get a new Shoulder Holster, Belt Holster, and IWB holster as I carry with all these types depending on the situation.

I never buy cheap holsters or gun belts either, so that means that when I get the new gun it comes with an additional $600 in gear cost. It is what it is, but it does make me more hesitant to buy. Anyone else feel the same way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1177 Posts
Likes Given: 783

To me that really sounds like cart before the horse.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

$600 will get you a lot of gear! I've never spent that much.

I'm gonna vote for the handgun I want or need, then I'll find the right leather for it. Lots of options out there, except for the fact that most all of the good ones are really backed up right now.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I get the gun before the gear. I find the gun I want or need and then I match the necessary eqipment to it. I agree in not buying cheap gear but $600 will buy a BUNCH of leather. I've never spent anywhere near that much.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #5

Doesn't mean you have to buy all three style holsters for the new (non 1911) gun. You could buy one, and carry a 1911 when the situation demands otherwise.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
$600 will get you a lot of gear! I've never spent that much.

I'm gonna vote for the handgun I want or need, then I'll find the right leather for it. Lots of options out there, except for the fact that most all of the good ones are really backed up right now.

+1, gun then gear.

And even the good Kydex is backordered now. Guess it goes hand in hand with the increase of CCW in the country.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you go with "plastic" gear for your poly frame gun, you could easy get 2-3 holsters for around $100.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Gun first then a Don Hume 721 OT. Already have three excellent gun belts from the Beltman. I have not spent 600 on three holsters and three belts. Sounds like fun but that $600 sounds a little steep.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nope.........

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 06-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There are several types of holsters and holster makers that I favor. The gun comes first, then the holster(s).

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams