Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Do The Holsters You Have Influence the Gun You Buy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/do-holsters-you-have-influence-gun-you-buy-27775/)

GoBlue 06-01-2010 01:26 PM

Do The Holsters You Have Influence the Gun You Buy?

My SA 1911 TRP is my baby. I'll admit that. But recently I've been excited about getting a high-cap pistol as well.

I currently have a SA XD-9, but I never take it anywhere because I don't have any type of holster for it other than the slide it came with. I'm also not a big fan of 9mm and actually bought it for my wife so that I could teach her the fundamentals of marksmanship with a controllable, yet full-size firearm.

My hope is that Springfield Armory will come out with an XDm in 10mm. I'll probably spring for it when they do but I have to admit that the idea of doing seems a lot more expensive once I roll it around in my head.

With the exception of the 9mm and my S&W 686, I've always bought 1911s (not compact) and they all work with all the holsters I have. Upgrading to a completely different frame means that I'll have to get a new Shoulder Holster, Belt Holster, and IWB holster as I carry with all these types depending on the situation.

I never buy cheap holsters or gun belts either, so that means that when I get the new gun it comes with an additional $600 in gear cost. It is what it is, but it does make me more hesitant to buy. Anyone else feel the same way?

ScottA 06-01-2010 01:57 PM

To me that really sounds like cart before the horse.

lonyaeger 06-01-2010 02:24 PM

$600 will get you a lot of gear! I've never spent that much.

I'm gonna vote for the handgun I want or need, then I'll find the right leather for it. Lots of options out there, except for the fact that most all of the good ones are really backed up right now.

spittinfire 06-01-2010 02:28 PM

I get the gun before the gear. I find the gun I want or need and then I match the necessary eqipment to it. I agree in not buying cheap gear but $600 will buy a BUNCH of leather. I've never spent anywhere near that much.

Mark Robert 06-02-2010 03:29 AM

Doesn't mean you have to buy all three style holsters for the new (non 1911) gun. You could buy one, and carry a 1911 when the situation demands otherwise.

hillbilly68 06-02-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 293171)
$600 will get you a lot of gear! I've never spent that much.

I'm gonna vote for the handgun I want or need, then I'll find the right leather for it. Lots of options out there, except for the fact that most all of the good ones are really backed up right now.

+1, gun then gear.

And even the good Kydex is backordered now. Guess it goes hand in hand with the increase of CCW in the country.

Flint Rock 06-03-2010 12:12 AM

If you go with "plastic" gear for your poly frame gun, you could easy get 2-3 holsters for around $100.

Hollander 06-03-2010 12:37 AM

Gun first then a Don Hume 721 OT. Already have three excellent gun belts from the Beltman. I have not spent 600 on three holsters and three belts. Sounds like fun but that $600 sounds a little steep.

gorknoids 06-03-2010 03:19 AM

Nope.........

CA357 06-03-2010 03:30 AM

There are several types of holsters and holster makers that I favor. The gun comes first, then the holster(s).