Do civilians need spare ammo? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Do civilians need spare ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC View Post
When I'm out and about running errands I just don't see the need for extra magazines. More then likely I'll never need them and i feel they would be to much hassle to carry around.
More than likely you won't ever need them. I'm certainly hoping I don't, but I still carry at least one extra reload for whatever the gun du jour is. It's part of my training and mostly just habit by now, but there is always at least one reload on my person. It also counter-balances the weight of the firearm to help keep my back in line. After years of lifting overweight patients my back is one good sneeze away from a herniated disc.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #52

Liked 875 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I got 21, 30 round AR magazines today. Don't know if I'll ever need them, but they're loaded up a ready should the time ever come. Just because I have that right.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #53

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester
I got 21, 30 round AR magazines today. Don't know if I'll ever need them, but they're loaded up a ready should the time ever come. Just because I have that right.
Damn 21 mags, dude I need 21 glock mags.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #54

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
The way I figure it, many, and likely most, armed altercations are diffused with only showing a weapon. The rest of the majority probably only require minimal shots fired (2-5).

But, on the same token, I've never been in a major car accident, yet I still wear my seatbelt.

Carrying extra ammo is no different than packing or wearing a seatbelt. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The only question that remains: How much extra should you carry?
Answer: As much as you effing want. Ammo isn't restricted. Magazine capacity is restricted in some commie states, but the number of magazines you can carry is not (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't study asshattery or asshat laws, so I may be mistaken) Restrict my magazine capacity to one round per mag, and I'll likely carry 50 mags.

How much do you need? At least one bullet. How much should you limit yourself to? I have carried over 2K rounds for my SAW into a firefight in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And was down to using my M9 by the end of it all. I don't expect firefights on the main drag of Ruston Louisiana, at least not yet, but my point is, there is no such thing as too much. However, there is a horrifying situation known as "not enough".
Well said, sir!

I've been in that situation myself!

When I CC, I've got 3 extra mags

Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #55

Liked 2119 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

What's spare?
When I shoot, I'll easily go through 300 rounds a session. Is whats left in the box spare? The 200 rounds I didn't use? The 3-500 in my safe because I got it on sale?
Hell I buy s*** tickets 20 rolls at a time, bath soap the same. Toothpaste 5 boxes at a time, paper plates, paper towels, shaving cream, pet food, all kinds of stuff. I know I'm going to use it and the price will only go up, so I stock up when stuffs on sale. Why would ammo be any different?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #56
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Wow.

Since the gun is a tool, and is only useful for its intended purpose when loaded, it seems only prudent to have plenty of "fuel" for your tool. When I fuel my car, I don't assume that I only need to go 100 miles this week, so only put 5.5 gallons in the tank.

Carrying different amounts based on your neighborhood, length of trip or your perception of the danger level is foolish pride. If you could accurately guage everything that was going to happen, and when and where it would happen, you would need no self-protection at all. Carrying a gun is preperation for the UNknown, UNexpected situation. Running down to the corner store in small town, America holds the exact same unknown danger as South Central L.A. For KKK members - unknown danger, unknown number, unknown weapons. Your defense is almost always effective against a known, perceived attacker: The unknown element you did not prepare for will most likely kill you...if you are not prepared for almost ANY eventuality.

Changing how much you carry or where you carry it doesn't allow for muscle memory. You need to know exactly where the magazines are and practice accessing them every time you practice. Professional trainers never tell you to rely on what's in the gun only, or carry magazines wherever you feel like. Get a "carry setup" and have all your spares in the same place, same carrier all the time.

It's your life - you decide how important you are to tourself and your family and if that extra few ounces is worth it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 AM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvia View Post
One is none and two is one. Make since?
This is that same thing my DI drilled in to our heads everytime we are on the range. I always carried 12 full mag's on patrol, 6 in my vest and 6 more in my pack or claymore bag. You can never have to much ammo.

For me I carry a minum of 2 15rd mags for a high cap pistol or 3 single stack spare mags. In my bug out bag that I always carry in my truck I have at least 6 hi cap pistol mag's or 10 single stack with 12 high cap mag's for my AR or AK, with at least 2 spare boxes of pistol ammo and 10 boxes of rifle ammo. Over kill some would say but I would rather have to reload a mag then go looking for one.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #58

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What's the point of carrying an auto if you're not going to carry at least one extra mag? The biggest advantage of autopistols is the quick reload. I generally carry 2 for my LCP.

My "always" gun, when I can't pack ANYTHING, is one of my NAA minirevolvers -- I have 3, in different barrel lengths -- in pocket holsters I made myself (I do pretty fair leatherwork). Even with those, I have an extra 5 or 10 rounds in a snap pocket on the holster. Hey, they're better than a sharp stick, and I can hit a quarter-sized target at 7 yards. I'm usually wearing the LCP, though, with an Armalaser sight.

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

One other thing that I forgot to mention was the main reason for carrying an extra mag, is not so much having extra ammo. As much as having a spare mag or two in case the one in your weapon fails. You can do all your immediate action drills you want but a BO mag is a BO mag. Drop it and replace it with your spare, but make sure you keep it for the spare rounds left in it.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #60

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf
One other thing that I forgot to mention was the main reason for carrying an extra mag, is not so much having extra ammo. As much as having a spare mag or two in case the one in your weapon fails. You can do all your immediate action drills you want but a BO mag is a BO mag. Drop it and replace it with your spare, but make sure you keep it for the spare rounds left in it.
Got it... So dnt just throw the BO mag at the BG, but hang on to it. Cool