Do civilians need spare ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Do civilians need spare ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Trip is dead on with his reply IMO as well. Once in a blue moon I may slip some extra mags in my pocket or I'll put on my mag holder and carry two on the belt plus the one "in hand". But for night time outings or outings in unfamiliar areas I'll put one mag in my pocket. They're 16 round mags of .40, so I'd like to think I'd be good to go if anything should come about, and I always have my folder tucked IWB on my hip next my holster regardless of where I'm at.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #12

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
hmm combat load is 210 rounds for a reason... carry as many extra mags as possible... soo YES!!
210 rds? Basic load was 144 when I deployed, (Vietnam), but that was the minimum we left the wire with. We were encouraged to beg, borrow or steal as many mags, (20rd mags were all we had back then), as we could carry.
Here & now, I always carry at least one extra mag or 2-3 speed strips if I'm carrying a revolver, more depending on where I'm going. Like someone else mentioned, better to have it and not need it. That said, I still believe if you've got to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a firefight which puts you squarely between a rock and a hard place, I don't care what you're carrying or how much ammo you've got.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn

210 rds? Basic load was 144 when I deployed, (Vietnam), but that was the minimum we left the wire with. We were encouraged to beg, borrow or steal as many mags, (20rd mags were all we had back then), as we could carry.
Here & now, I always carry at least one extra mag or 2-3 speed strips if I'm carrying a revolver, more depending on where I'm going. Like someone else mentioned, better to have it and not need it. That said, I still believe if you've got to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a firefight which puts you squarely between a rock and a hard place, I don't care what you're carrying or how much ammo you've got.
Yup 7 30 round mags. And also even though that would be a firefight. If the BG is still shooting At you wouldn't that still be considered an active threat and thus allowing you to defend yourself?
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Do civilians need spare ammo?
Spare ammo is whatever is left after the shootout is over. If you know ahead of time exactly how much you will need going in, you da man.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 07-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think it also might determine where you live as well. If I am traveling I will carry extra mags. But just going around town I dont. Maybe its the small town atmosphere but I dont see the need where I live. If I lived somewhere that is always in the top listings in crime like Detroit, Memphis, Chicago etc... then I probably would. Heck if I lived in any major city I would. But situations and preferences are different for everyone.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Ill agree plainly with everyone and say YES! Anytime i have a few spair dollers i buy ammo for atleast my 12 gauge or my 40 therefor letting it stack up incase i need it in the future... if im going somewhere i carry both 15 rnd clips with my 40 in my truck

Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think everyone should carry at least one spare magazine. Not that you may necessarily run out of rounds...but what if you find yourself in a struggle and your magazine is released during in the fight? Or if by some crazy chance your magazine decides to malfunction, you have a backup. Not to mention that any time there is a lull in the shooting I want to try and do a tactical reload, that way if it starts again I am at max capacity. Just my thoughts.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

utf59 Likes This 
Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #18

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Let me put it this way, at home i have 100 rounds at all times ready for my AK in 2 30's and a 40 round mag. When i carry theres a 13 round mag for my xdm in the car, on me, and in my on top of that i stack a few thousand rounds at home as well. So yes lots of ammo

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #19

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler
Let me put it this way, at home i have 100 rounds at all times ready for my AK in 2 30's and a 40 round mag. When i carry theres a 13 round mag for my xdm in the car, on me, and in my GUN on top of that i stack a few thousand rounds at home as well. So yes lots of ammo
^^^^ GUN that is

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 19 Posts

One is none and two is one. Make since?