Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Do civilians need spare ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/do-civilians-need-spare-ammo-68527/)

rigjumpr 07-19-2012 04:59 PM

Do civilians need spare ammo?

I recently read an article in Guns magazine titled “Do Civilians need spare ammo”? In witch prompted me to as our forum the same question. Do you feel the need to have an extra mag/speed loader? Or will the 5, 6, 8 or 10 rounds (whatever the case may be) serve the purpose of protection?
I am of the belief that a spare magazine is warranted. With the recent events that took place in the internet lounge (we have all seen by now). If I counted correctly the gentleman had one or two rounds left, what if….the hood wearing punks would have come back? Or as most of us may or may not know there are circumstances that may “lessen” the effects of shots on target so to carry extra magazines /speed loaders or not to?

HOSSFLY 07-19-2012 05:02 PM

I'll just give you my short answer---YES!

LONGHAIR 07-19-2012 05:07 PM

H%LL YES....I keep nine or ten box's extra all the time...What are you going to do throw the gun at them ???....Each gun has ten or so box's extra if I can help-it and I rotate the new on bottom and the old on top as I use-it....$$$...Yes it cost a bit of money but you will use-it sometime down the road.....

Sniper03 07-19-2012 05:09 PM

HOSSFLY!

I AGREE! A BIG YES! And all you can hoard at home!

HOSSFLY 07-19-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 874942)
HOSSFLY!

I AGREE! A BIG YES! And all you can hoard at home!

Plus some ;)

jjfuller1 07-19-2012 05:15 PM

hmm combat load is 210 rounds for a reason... carry as many extra mags as possible... soo YES!!

trip286 07-19-2012 05:25 PM

The way I figure it, many, and likely most, armed altercations are diffused with only showing a weapon. The rest of the majority probably only require minimal shots fired (2-5).

But, on the same token, I've never been in a major car accident, yet I still wear my seatbelt.

Carrying extra ammo is no different than packing or wearing a seatbelt. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The only question that remains: How much extra should you carry?
Answer: As much as you effing want. Ammo isn't restricted. Magazine capacity is restricted in some commie states, but the number of magazines you can carry is not (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't study asshattery or asshat laws, so I may be mistaken) Restrict my magazine capacity to one round per mag, and I'll likely carry 50 mags.

How much do you need? At least one bullet. How much should you limit yourself to? I have carried over 2K rounds for my SAW into a firefight in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And was down to using my M9 by the end of it all. I don't expect firefights on the main drag of Ruston Louisiana, at least not yet, but my point is, there is no such thing as too much. However, there is a horrifying situation known as "not enough".

jjfuller1 07-19-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 874962)
The way I figure it, many, and likely most, armed altercations are diffused with only showing a weapon. The rest of the majority probably only require minimal shots fired (2-5).

But, on the same token, I've never been in a major car accident, yet I still wear my seatbelt.

Carrying extra ammo is no different than packing or wearing a seatbelt. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

The only question that remains: How much extra should you carry?
Answer: As much as you effing want. Ammo isn't restricted. Magazine capacity is restricted in some commie states, but the number of magazines you can carry is not (please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't study asshattery or asshat laws, so I may be mistaken) Restrict my magazine capacity to one round per mag, and I'll likely carry 50 mags.

How much do you need? At least one bullet. How much should you limit yourself to? I have carried over 2K rounds for my SAW into a firefight in both Iraq and Afghanistan. And was down to using my M9 by the end of it all. I don't expect firefights on the main drag of Ruston Louisiana, at least not yet, but my point is, there is no such thing as too much. However, there is a horrifying situation known as "not enough".

trip... you da man. hehe

marc29th 07-19-2012 05:50 PM

I carry 2 extra 7 round mags to go with my 7+1 in the gun.

HOSSFLY 07-19-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 874967)
trip... you da man. hehe

Trip types better'un me-
Hence my short answer :D