Diving out the nearest exit

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Diving out the nearest exit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Diving out the nearest exit

I usually conceal carry my weapon with me all the time. My neighbor asked me what would I do if I was shopping and heard gun fire coming from another part of the store? I told her I would be diving out the nearest exit.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Take cover, assess your surroundings, take action - fight or flight

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #3

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There are a few things that will generally go through your mind. First thing is to stay calm and focused,if you have your family with you ensure their safety by getting them to the nearest exit. If there are no exits between you and where the shots were heard, then take your family the farthest that you can get them from the shots and be at the ready,weapon drawn and keep your head on a swivel "watch & listen" Even having the LEO mindset that i do "to protect"MY family comes first and i will not leave them unprotected to go investigate.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
There are a few things that will generally go through your mind. First thing is to stay calm and focused,if you have your family with you ensure their safety by getting them to the nearest exit. If there are no exits between you and where the shots were heard, then take your family the farthest that you can get them from the shots and be at the ready,weapon drawn and keep your head on a swivel "watch & listen" Even having the LEO mindset that i do "to protect"MY family comes first and i will not leave them unprotected to go investigate.
Perfect answer wray. Let the crazy idiot shootin get near my family in this scenario wray described and ill put 2 in his chest and one in the head as i was trained.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I am a civilian. I have no duty to act. I would move away from the shooter, find cover on or near floor level, and hope the police reach the shooter before the shooter reaches me.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #6

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This is one of those situations where we really don't know exactly how we would act until it happens. I think the first thought that would come to mind was staying alive and unharmed, and this means different action to different people. Some folks would react by trying to hide or flee and others might choose to confront the source of danger. I strongly believe in having the right to defend ourselves against unprovoked aggression, but I think getting out the nearest exit would be the best option. If stopping the shooter would save lives I am all for that. It is easy to say we would do this and do that but we really don't know how we would act until it happened. Dealing with the aftermath of taking someone's life, even if justified by law, would be difficult for most people.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
This is one of those situations where we really don't know exactly how we would act until it happens. I think the first thought that would come to mind was staying alive and unharmed, and this means different action to different people. Some folks would react by trying to hide or flee and others might choose to confront the source of danger. I strongly believe in having the right to defend ourselves against unprovoked aggression, but I think getting out the nearest exit would be the best option. If stopping the shooter would save lives I am all for that. It is easy to say we would do this and do that but we really don't know how we would act until it happened. Dealing with the aftermath of taking someone's life, even if justified by law, would be difficult for most people.
Well said

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 982 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf
Very well said and I agree wholeheartedly!

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

MrWray and BlueTurf have the right mindset here. To protect my family and myself first, if the fight makes it way to me, that means that I did not have an exit available, I will protect my family at all cost.

One point to remember is that you might be needed to be a good witness if something like this does break out. I would like to think that if I was involved in a shooting that someone would be there to give an accurate account of what really happened, as long as it is not the BG.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

In my state I could be prosecuted for not going to the persons aid and then prosecuted for shooting the madman. Tough decision. I suppose I would rather spend my time in prison knowing I had saved lives rather than running away.

I don't need No stinking signature.