Difference between open carry and concealed carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Difference between open carry and concealed carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Difference between open carry and concealed carry

Well?? Do you have to have a ccw permit for both?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The short answer is, it depends on your state. Each state has different rules, laws, requirements, etc. What state are you in? When I lived in NC you didn't need a permit to OC but you did for CC, here in Iowa you need a permit for both.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 08-31-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

OC is legal here in Washington State, so I don't need one. I have had my CCW license since I was about 22 or 23 and it's never lapsed. Just renewed it a month or so back as a matter of fact.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #4

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Depends where you live...every state is different.

Here in NC you can OC without a permit but to conceal, a permit you must have.

Not that I'm advocating the permit requirements but having one eliminates the gray area between what is considered OC and CC..IE-Your shirttail inadvertently covers your sidearm as you carry OWB. With the permit, you are covered and legal, without it...notsomuch...

Another benefit to the permit is you don't need to pay for a purchase permit when you want to buy a gun, and can buy as many as you want as opposed to the limit of 5 per year with the paper permit system...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Georgia has a Weapons Carry License. To carry concealed or open you need the license here.

Each state has their own laws.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Georgia has a Weapons Carry License. To carry concealed or open you need the license here.

Each state has their own laws.
Thats where i am thanks for the quick answers guys.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Depends where you live...every state is different.

Here in NC you can OC without a permit but to conceal, a permit you must have.

Not that I'm advocating the permit requirements but having one eliminates the gray area between what is considered OC and CC..IE-Your shirttail inadvertently covers your sidearm as you carry OWB. With the permit, you are covered and legal, without it...notsomuch...

Another benefit to the permit is you don't need to pay for a purchase permit when you want to buy a gun, and can buy as many as you want as opposed to the limit of 5 per year with the paper permit system...
I can't believe you guys have to get a purchase permit, i thought we had it bad with the FOID card, which I suppose is our purchase permit, but we don't have a limit on the number we can buy in a year. How much does a purchase permit cost?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
I can't believe you guys have to get a purchase permit, i thought we had it bad with the FOID card, which I suppose is our purchase permit, but we don't have a limit on the number we can buy in a year. How much does a purchase permit cost?
5 bucks each...it's basically just proof for the seller that you've had a background check done...and it only applies for handguns...IIRC you can buy all the long guns you want permit or not...

I'm quoting from memory here...been a loooooong time since I've had to mess with such foolishment...as I have a CCW.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 08-31-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

I live in PA about a 30 miles from Pittsburgh and I open carrier all the time but the cops know me and ppl know me, so it really is never the issue of not trusting me but there r times I have to explain myself to ppl or why I like too so just beware that ppl who have children maybe a little scared or worried about the gun you have.