Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Difference between open carry and concealed carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/difference-between-open-carry-concealed-carry-71529/)

ineverFTF 08-31-2012 04:54 PM

Difference between open carry and concealed carry

Well?? Do you have to have a ccw permit for both?

silverado113 08-31-2012 04:59 PM

The short answer is, it depends on your state. Each state has different rules, laws, requirements, etc. What state are you in? When I lived in NC you didn't need a permit to OC but you did for CC, here in Iowa you need a permit for both.

Dillinger 08-31-2012 05:02 PM

OC is legal here in Washington State, so I don't need one. I have had my CCW license since I was about 22 or 23 and it's never lapsed. Just renewed it a month or so back as a matter of fact. :p

vincent 08-31-2012 05:04 PM

Depends where you live...every state is different.

Here in NC you can OC without a permit but to conceal, a permit you must have.

Not that I'm advocating the permit requirements but having one eliminates the gray area between what is considered OC and CC..IE-Your shirttail inadvertently covers your sidearm as you carry OWB. With the permit, you are covered and legal, without it...notsomuch...

Another benefit to the permit is you don't need to pay for a purchase permit when you want to buy a gun, and can buy as many as you want as opposed to the limit of 5 per year with the paper permit system...

SSGN_Doc 08-31-2012 05:05 PM

Georgia has a Weapons Carry License. To carry concealed or open you need the license here.

Each state has their own laws.

ineverFTF 08-31-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Georgia has a Weapons Carry License. To carry concealed or open you need the license here.

Each state has their own laws.

Thats where i am thanks for the quick answers guys.

JD1969 08-31-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 922902)
Depends where you live...every state is different.

Here in NC you can OC without a permit but to conceal, a permit you must have.

Not that I'm advocating the permit requirements but having one eliminates the gray area between what is considered OC and CC..IE-Your shirttail inadvertently covers your sidearm as you carry OWB. With the permit, you are covered and legal, without it...notsomuch...

Another benefit to the permit is you don't need to pay for a purchase permit when you want to buy a gun, and can buy as many as you want as opposed to the limit of 5 per year with the paper permit system...

I can't believe you guys have to get a purchase permit, i thought we had it bad with the FOID card, which I suppose is our purchase permit, but we don't have a limit on the number we can buy in a year. How much does a purchase permit cost?

vincent 08-31-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969 (Post 922951)
I can't believe you guys have to get a purchase permit, i thought we had it bad with the FOID card, which I suppose is our purchase permit, but we don't have a limit on the number we can buy in a year. How much does a purchase permit cost?

5 bucks each...it's basically just proof for the seller that you've had a background check done...and it only applies for handguns...IIRC you can buy all the long guns you want permit or not...:cool:

I'm quoting from memory here...been a loooooong time since I've had to mess with such foolishment...as I have a CCW.

Keginth28 08-31-2012 06:11 PM

I live in PA about a 30 miles from Pittsburgh and I open carrier all the time but the cops know me and ppl know me, so it really is never the issue of not trusting me but there r times I have to explain myself to ppl or why I like too so just beware that ppl who have children maybe a little scared or worried about the gun you have.