Did i do the right thing? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did i do the right thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #71
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Wisdom comes from experience. Wrinkles come from age.
if we live long enough and are lucky enough, sometimes we end up having both!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #72

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
umm, yes i am over 35, in fact as Trip is most correct that i am in my early 50's. i have been living on my own for over 35 years. i have been around the block more than once.

my main point was, it's easy for people to sit back and second guess others when we were not there, in that particular situation. as i have said, hindsight is 20/20 and after the fact, i am sure Jeff is re-evaluating his methods id dealing with a similiar situation in the future.

my main problem with some members was not the criticism, but the manner of that criticism. i saw some things that concerned me that i might have done differently as well, but already some were jumping down his throat, so i didn't. IIRC, Jeff is still new to carrying. try and remember back to when you first started carrying. did anyone do everything correctly and proper? or did others make mistakes as well?

IIRC, this forum is about sharing information and helping others make educated decisions based on their needs. by thrashing Jeff, we are not setting a good example of what makes this forum one of the best there is. as many of you know, i'll be the first to flame on an idiot or a troll in a heartbeat, but after reading some of Jeff's posts, he hardly strikes me as either. young and new to carrying, quite so, but lets help him learn from his mistakes and maybe learn something ourselves in the process. we all make mistakes. we are human and it's part of life. if we are lucky, we live through them, and if we are smart, we learn from them.
i would give this more than one like if i could. I joined the forum because i am still very green. I have been getting more and more comfortable carrying both ways (OC AND CC). You are also correct that i will probably conceal from now on when im out an about. I also as you have stated am not a "trol" or an "idiot". Do i have very limited knowledge when it comes to carrying? Ill admit it yes i do. Its why i posts some rather obvious questions or ask "strange" questions to people i know that carry for far longer than myself. I always value an educated opinion but i would rather feel like its not somebody "bashing" me and just simply offering their opinion. Does that make sense at all? Anyway im gonna shut up now and just watch for new comments
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkaiser1989 View Post
You are also correct that i will probably conceal from now on when im out an about.
Jeff,

You did nothing wrong, including your carry method. Don't think you have to change how you carry just because of one guy's opinion. Carry however YOU'RE comfortable carrying.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 03:12 AM   #74

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

Jeff,

You did nothing wrong, including your carry method. Don't think you have to change how you carry just because of one guy's opinion. Carry however YOU'RE comfortable carrying.
+ this,,,,,
Old 11-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #75
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7657 Times on 4165 Posts
Likes Given: 16053

Bearing arms is a constitutional right. Do so in whatever manner you choose.

I do believe the situation would have been better handled by following your wife inside. If the thugs had breached the door, you would have been justified in retaliating. Meeting an unknown person(s) in a multi tenant residence is an unreasonable suspicion of danger.

The differing opinions on whether the stairs/corridor is an extension of your domicile comes from inadequate information. (I think, but I am drinking.) An interior corridor would be an extension of your home while an exterior corridor would not.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

jeffkaiser1989 Likes This 
Old 11-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

From Drumjunkie:
So, your opinion is you need to get on your knees and ask for permission to exorcise your rights? Can't do it otherwise? I'm starting to understand your logic a little more. It explains a lot in some other area of your opinions as well.

You might be OK with more curtailment to our gun rights. That is your right after all. But then you should just admit that. Calling people stupid or the like is just childish.

What a police report does? It says there's a history where a citizen while not breaking any law wanted to go home with his wife and was threatened. If they do show up again it's not just some random shooting. And ther is a paper trail made by LEO that shows that.

Amen. Thanks, Drumjunkie.
This forum is a great place to exchange ideas, to benefit from the experience and knowledge of others, and to support the 2A.
There is no reason why members should be throwing sh!t at each other, insulting each other, or otherwise creating a hostile environment. Please, let's all try to be supportive of each other and provide constructive comments, so we all learn and grow.
Jeff, what you did was successful in protecting yourself and your wife. And don't give up your right to go outside your home after dark, but be prepared for any trouble that might come your way. Be aware of your environment, and be safe.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #77

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jeff,

As you sit back & watch for new ideas to learn from, here is a new one to contemplate......

Your initial post stated you reached down and turned off your gun's safety while still in your holster......

I assume so you would be ready faster if need be?

Or to prevent forgetting to in the heat of the moment since you are new and have not practiced enough to have the muscle memory to be automatic at the proper time?

I too am new to Carrying, both open and concealed. I have been reading and practicing all I can for the last year.

My studies have just about all come to this on this subject: gun safety should NOT be disengaged while still in holster; safety should be disengaged anywhere from bringing gun up on target to when it is on target - never before.....

It would be good to hear other's comments on this!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #78

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

No one hurt, everything legal, you and your family safe....ya did great.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #79

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip69 View Post
Jeff,

As you sit back & watch for new ideas to learn from, here is a new one to contemplate......

Your initial post stated you reached down and turned off your gun's safety while still in your holster......

I assume so you would be ready faster if need be?

Or to prevent forgetting to in the heat of the moment since you are new and have not practiced enough to have the muscle memory to be automatic at the proper time?

I too am new to Carrying, both open and concealed. I have been reading and practicing all I can for the last year.

My studies have just about all come to this on this subject: gun safety should NOT be disengaged while still in holster; safety should be disengaged anywhere from bringing gun up on target to when it is on target - never before.....

It would be good to hear other's comments on this!
your assumption is correct i have been dedicating more and more time to train in drawing from the holster and firing using snap caps for dry fire. I have been slowly getting faster and doing this daily hopefully will improve my reaction time and my muscle memory. I suppose you have a valid point that i should have left the safety on... I guess the reason i clicked it off was to draw their attention to the gun in a attempt to scare or dealy their next action. I did make some mistakes as others have said i probably should have retreated into the house but i didnt think i had enough time to get inside and draw before they would be on top of me. thank you for input and thanks to evreybody for their input
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php
People Like This 
Old 11-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #80
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7657 Times on 4165 Posts
Likes Given: 16053

Why not take the safety off? It only takes a fraction of a second, but time is time.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄