Did i do the right thing? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did i do the right thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1790 Times on 1230 Posts
Likes Given: 907

If you know what you are talking about, nobody can put you down. Of course being pachydermic helps

Someone mentioned open carry bashing. What I read did not seem to be the case, but regardless. Jeff could have carried concealed with the same exact (good) outcome. There is something to consider before you go open. You will draw attention. Being inconspicuous is a preventive MO. I not only conceal, but never even discuss it with friends or strangers. Nobody ever knows whether I am armed or not, and I prefer it that way. Part of man's personality is to proudly show his power tools. Sure a display of a weapon may keep someone away, but it could also make you a target.

Emotions flared up already, so take it as a shared consideration. Not a judgement upon anyone who disagrees.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #62

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I open carry. There's a time and place for everything. I didn't even read where the OP lives, but I'll point out that I wouldn't be open carrying in some place like Detroit. Even Baton Rouge or New Orleans here in my own state.

Around West Monroe and this little town named Sterlington, you'd be considered kinda weird if you WEREN'T packing something, at least in your car if it's not on your body somewhere.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1269 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I open carry. There's a time and place for everything. I didn't even read where the OP lives, but I'll point out that I wouldn't be open carrying in some place like Detroit. Even Baton Rouge or New Orleans here in my own state.

Around West Monroe and this little town named Sterlington, you'd be considered kinda weird if you WEREN'T packing something, at least in your car if it's not on your body somewhere.
Toledo, Oh according to his info at the left of the screen...

Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #64

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
In the bright lights of the convenience store, someone saw something that brought on the attack. Money? Nice car? Firearm? Combination of the above? Is the overnight guy on duty in with the attackers? Does that store have a lookout in the parking lot, that followed you back, and you did not notice him (them) ?

Random? Why should attackers pick someone at random when they can scope what it is they want, then simply pluck and go?

It is ok to walk around like a rattle snake, if you fit the profile, but Barney Fife was never protected by the gun on his hip. The criminal element looked at him as a non threat with something they sometimes wanted, his gun.

Police report on two unidentifiable guys that got lost in the ilk of the dark streets of a big city is like spit on a griddle. It will also get lost in a sea of paperwork. No one was hurt, no one was robbed.

What a police report will do is brand you an open carry citizen, something not seen as a good thing in many police circles. In my major city, such a police report would have the police focusing on you as a vagalinty stirring up trouble in the community, distributing the peace.

You say you have a concealed carry permit? That is a state or sheriff permit. Local police often feel much differently about citizens with exercised second amendment rights.

Be safe.
So, your opinion is you need to get on your knees and ask for permission to exorcise your rights? Can't do it otherwise? I'm starting to understand your logic a little more. It explains a lot in some other area of your opinions as well.

You might be OK with more curtailment to our gun rights. That is your right after all. But then you should just admit that. Calling people stupid or the like is just childish.

What a police report does? It says there's a history where a citizen while not breaking any law wanted to go home with his wife and was threatened. If they do show up again it's not just some random shooting. And ther is a paper trail made by LEO that shows that.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

Toledo, Oh according to his info at the left of the screen...
Phone app. Can't see that information.

But that's a place I'd consider it more prudent to conceal.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

All this "branded" by the police "in the system" as an "open carrier" is total bull****. There is no open carry report in ADSI. If a cop is checking your ID and you've been listed as a victim and/or complainant, the only information available is names, and the violations committed by the offender(other guys not you).

After a few months it goes into an archived area that has to be specifically searched.

And nobody would do all that work just to see if you were open carrying, if the officer even mentioned it in the narrative. I might not even mention the gun involved if I were taking the call. It's not really relevant to me in that situation, especially if it never even came out of the holster.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-14-2013 at 09:45 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post

So, your opinion is you need to get on your knees and ask for permission to exorcise your rights? Can't do it otherwise? I'm starting to understand your logic a little more. It explains a lot in some other area of your opinions as well.

You might be OK with more curtailment to our gun rights. That is your right after all. But then you should just admit that. Calling people stupid or the like is just childish.

What a police report does? It says there's a history where a citizen while not breaking any law wanted to go home with his wife and was threatened. If they do show up again it's not just some random shooting. And ther is a paper trail made by LEO that shows that.
And that paper trail could mean the difference between remaining free and getting a new girlfriend in prison. Named Bubba. Or rather, being HIS girlfriend. Better to have that paper trail than to be involved in a shooting and the DA discover you have a history of trouble with the local thugs and you hadn't reported it to law enforcement.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #68
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21502 Times on 12208 Posts
Likes Given: 53546

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Ax, at 35, you are still a puppy. My favorite underwear is older than you. Also, at 18,000 plus posts, does not look to my like many threads go by here with your two cents, which is good. People like your participation.

We were not being critical of a member, we were being critical of the situation he put his family in.

Open carry on a husband clearly marks the wife as unarmed. Another point not addressed in this post. In a concealed carry mode, criminals might wonder if both has guns. In an open carry mode, it is clear how many guns they were dealing with.

Getting macho, and getting two big dogs is one answer. Better to get a lap dog and a big dog food bowl. Little dog will alert the homeowner of a problem at doors and Windows.
Quote:
Ya know, I try to respect my elders as much as possible, but as a grown man I'm not afraid to call them out when I think they're out of line. I've done so with you before, haven't I?

That's not my intent with this post, but I do want to call something to your intention that you're very obviously not noticing.

At 35, he's still a puppy? That's a huge problem with people of some of our older generations. He's almost middle aged, yet you write off his opinion as a childish babbling, the same way I let my kid, about to turn 8, ramble about absolutely meaningless crap, when what I SHOULD be doing, and TRY to do as often as I can manage, is actually sit and listen to what he has to say. Because even at 8 years old, my son has a very unique set of life experiences that color his thoughts, actions, and dreams.

To dismiss the thoughts of those younger than yourself, specifically because they ARE younger, is a very closed minded thing to do, and in my opinion, quite foolish.

How about giving the man a little more respect, even if you don't agree with his opinion? After all, I seem to recall an older member here once inquiring about the idea of keeping a blank round chambered as a "warning shot" of some sort very recently. As I recall, that guy didn't listen to anyone, and later discovered on his own that it just wasn't feasible. Thankfully, at no loss to life, limb, or significant funds. It seems most of those who told him it was a bad idea were quite.... Puppyish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Axxe said he has been living as an adult for 35 years. He is no kid.
Quote:
I thought something sounded off about calling him a 35 year old pup. Because I thought I'd recalled him being closer to early 50's. Hardly what I'd consider young and inexperienced.
umm, yes i am over 35, in fact as Trip is most correct that i am in my early 50's. i have been living on my own for over 35 years. i have been around the block more than once.

my main point was, it's easy for people to sit back and second guess others when we were not there, in that particular situation. as i have said, hindsight is 20/20 and after the fact, i am sure Jeff is re-evaluating his methods id dealing with a similiar situation in the future.

my main problem with some members was not the criticism, but the manner of that criticism. i saw some things that concerned me that i might have done differently as well, but already some were jumping down his throat, so i didn't. IIRC, Jeff is still new to carrying. try and remember back to when you first started carrying. did anyone do everything correctly and proper? or did others make mistakes as well?

IIRC, this forum is about sharing information and helping others make educated decisions based on their needs. by thrashing Jeff, we are not setting a good example of what makes this forum one of the best there is. as many of you know, i'll be the first to flame on an idiot or a troll in a heartbeat, but after reading some of Jeff's posts, he hardly strikes me as either. young and new to carrying, quite so, but lets help him learn from his mistakes and maybe learn something ourselves in the process. we all make mistakes. we are human and it's part of life. if we are lucky, we live through them, and if we are smart, we learn from them.
People Like This 
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #69

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
All this "branded" by the police "in the system" as an "open carrier" is total bull****. There is no open carry report in ADSI. If a cop is checking your ID and you've been listed as a victim and/or complainant, the only information available is names, and the violations committed by the offender(other guys not you).

After a few months it goes into an archived area that has to be specifically searched.

And nobody would do all that work just to see if you were open carrying, if the officer even mentioned it in the narrative. I might not even mention the gun involved if I were taking the call. It's not really relevant to me in that situation, especially if it never even came out of the holster.
This has been my experience with both larger city as well as smaller town LEO. Their only real concern are the facts of a case. If those facts show an illegal activity by either side then there might be an issue. Otherwise it's just make a report and go on. No super secret lists of people ding things that are not illegal.

Quote:
And that paper trail could mean the difference between remaining free and getting a new girlfriend in prison. Named Bubba. Or rather, being HIS girlfriend. Better to have that paper trail than to be involved in a shooting and the DA discover you have a history of trouble with the local thugs and you hadn't reported it to law enforcement.
And there is the point of creating a paper trail Especially one that was made by people that make a good part of their living sitting ion court rooms.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #70
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6889 Times on 3759 Posts
Likes Given: 13604

Wisdom comes from experience. Wrinkles come from age.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This