Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Bear, that is fine. I myself am sure that the last thing that I will be worried about at the moment, should I find myself in that situation will be whether or not I will go to jail for my actions. If I have time to think of that, then the situation will not warrant me drawing my side arm and using deadly force.
Put yourself in the movie theater or the school... The shooter isn't pointing the gun at you and you are safe where you are, do you just sit there and do nothing because your life isn't in danger? Or would you try to stop it? Or, not your problem so wait it out and let the whackadoodle continue?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Last edited by thdrduck; 01-05-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #62

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Someone asked for more than the simple "no", so here is mine:

I've never been quick to fight nor the aggressive type. I'm more of a cooler, always going above & beyond to diffuse the situation. I've only ever been in one fight in my adult life in which I was jumped outside a bar downtown by two mexis whom were simply looking for someone like me, drunk & an easy target. The little one got in front of me & tried to get me angry by talking BS, didn't work, I laughed & held out hand to let bygones be. He full swing socked me in jaw three times, I shrugged & looked athim puzzled each time & said relax I'd buy him a drink on the last. His buddy then grabbed my arms from behind, I pulled out leaving him an armful of my jacket. The wee one wriggled me slowly to the ground and the big guy kicked my abdomen while mini he continued to punch at my face, mostly left eye. Bar tender, who was a friend, was taking out trash several seconds later, saw and came running & shouting that he had called the cops & to get outta there. I was still drunk so I thought he was telling me to go so I jumped up and ran... Right to the next bar where I had another beer and was told it looked like my jaw was broken. It wasn't, just dislocated with fractured cheek. I still have a Cockeyed face to this day, one side flat and slightly angled.

I'm just not someone who is scared by other human beings, have always viewed everyone else as beneath me, because the majority by far are, so it's not hard to stay calm for me, they're no threat. I also don't fear death, never really have, not since I've been old enough to experience the world and see it for what it truly is. One has to value life before they can fear death & I've never been that delusional. I could get into the specifics, but it would only serve to offend & it's not worth the inconvenience of dealing with the aftermath. Now, I do, however, fear a painful and drawn out dying, I'm not stupid, but not death itself. That I welcome open armed whenever it's ready for me.

So, no, little could ever be done to change me or my demeanor or attitude about such things, but if it came to saving someone else's life, I won't welcome death for them and I will accurately assess the situation to save lives if need be.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #63

I just have a little more awareness of what's going on around me. And it seems that I have gained more respect for my firearm. I started shooting when I was like 6 years old but with my CWP and able to carry its changed me for the better I feel.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #64

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck
Bear, that is fine. I myself am sure that the last thing that I will be worried about at the moment, should I find myself in that situation will be whether or not I will go to jail for my actions. If I have time to think of that, then the situation will not warrant me drawing my side arm and using deadly force.
Put yourself in the movie theater or the school... The shooter isn't pointing the gun at you and you are safe where you are, do you just sit there and do nothing because your life isn't in danger? Or would you try to stop it? Or, not your problem so wait it out and let the shooter continue?
My first course of action is safety of loved ones with me. If I know they are safe then I like to think I would do what I can to save others. I want to see my children grow up, so I don't want to die or go to jail. But if i could do something and did not....i would prolly never carry again. I want my kids to have courage and believe in doing what is right. I am a sheep dog in sheep's clothing and will do what I can to keep the wolves at bay.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #65

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Bear, that is fine. I myself am sure that the last thing that I will be worried about at the moment, should I find myself in that situation will be whether or not I will go to jail for my actions.

Then you might rethink carrying if you have not thought this out.

If I have time to think of that, then the situation will not warrant me drawing my side arm and using deadly force.

Then think faster.

Put yourself in the movie theater or the school... The shooter

(What shooter? Has he been 100% IDd as the attacker?)

isn't pointing the gun at you and you are safe where you are, do you just sit there and do nothing because your life isn't in danger? Or would you try to stop it? Or, not your problem so wait it out and let the whackadoodle continue?
I understand what your saying but what I'm saying is fast rational deduction is absolutely a must if your gonna carry.....
Its not whether you got the balls to take a bullet,, its making dam sure that the individual you shoot is the culprit and not a cwp holder like yourself trying to stop the gunman.
Now a instance like Conn. Where they were just babies,, you gotta be a real scumbag to sit that one out,, of course id lay down my life in order to save those children,, how could you look in the mirror if you didn't try. Or look at your children. Those examples are pretty clear cut,,, man walks in shooting more than one victims.
I'm talking more of come around a corner to two or more dudes shooting at each other,, who's the good guy? Unless I know 100%,, or I'm or mines are in danger I'm not shooting.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #66

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Maybe not my attitude but definitely my behavior. Before I CC I was known to be a bit of a caveman and had been known to bend the law every once in a while .

Not only having a CCW permit stopped that behavior dead in its tracks
< probably due to ANYTHING you get busted for is auto bumped to a serious felony if a weapon is even present. > . It actually helped me to quit drinking cause as we all know alcohol and guns dont mix. And so even when I'd have an occasional beer with friends or whatever. Now if you see me with clothing on im probably armed and that has detered me from even having 1 beer.

So I'm very pleased with these uninteded consequences that I would have never even pondered as a consideration of whether or not to get my permit.

I know I know kinda pathetic it took getting a gun permit to exact this change but hey . I never said I was perfect and ill take what I can get.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #67

Bear, glad you think fast. Be the gun grass hopper, expect the unexpected, yada, yada, yada. And I hope that if you find yourself in a bad situation... it has already played out before so you know exactly what to do because this of coarse will be deja vue. To say that I shouldn't carry because I don't think going to jail will be my first thought should I find myself in a life and death situation, well is just kind of sad on your part. Nuff said.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #68

I think simple reading comprehension should be a requirement. As you are missing my point. Carry on johnny blaze....

Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #69

Sorry Bear, you are right and I apologize. Sometimes I get a little defensive. Seems often when you give your opinion here you are chastised for it and I see that was not your intent.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #70

Quote:
Sorry Bear, you are right and I apologize. Sometimes I get a little defensive. Seems often when you give your opinion here you are chastised for it and I see that was not your intent.
I feel what you are sayin,, I d love to be able to save a life, just in doing so don't want to throw mine away. problem is there are just too many variables/ situations to rush to judgment,, when it very well be your/my ass being judged at the end of the day... anyways no sweat I like your style anyways dude...