Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
Almost exactly 1/2 of my life revolved around booze and chemicals. I've been clean and sober for 31 1/2 years and there has been a similar transition away from violence in my life. Violence was my constant companion then. I live a life of peace, now. My transition happened in several stages, however.

I changed. I am different. I don't do things the same way, frequent the same places or associate with the same people. That changed my relationship with violence if nothing else did. That was step one.

I started working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice inside the prisons. I didn't work in the State Jails. We called those the "baby prisons" I worked in the hard core Institutional Division.

There were Offenders in that lockup who were incarcerated for exactly the same behavior that I exhibited. I couldn't talk to the Offenders about their charges or get friendly but we were packed into a small space and you overhear things. It was a shock to hear that I was a free man and they were incarcerated because of a break of lady luck. I never told them but it made a profound impression on me that I was walking a slippery slope. I knew that my attitudes and behavior had to change or there was a rack waiting for me in a lockup. Throwing hands during a dispute was not a winning proposition! My record was spotless. Why?....I don't know. God knows, I deserved the wrath of the law! That was step 2.

I got my first CHL about 7 years ago. I'll end my first renewal in 2014. My record is still spotless and I'm getting older, wiser, I'm retired so my stress level is about zero, stay away from Gin Mills, bars, bawdy houses and don't hang with people who do those things. Similarly, I do NOT have need for violent reactions to much of anything. If good fortune stays with me, I'll never have the need to use my CHL and my piece can wear itself shiny from carry and not shooting. Growing up and getting my CHL combined for step 3 in my transition.

I do not look for trouble and will do everything in my power to extricate myself from it if it should find me. My CHL changed me but it was only one of several factors that initiated the change.

Flash
/ Amazing what age does to a persons perspective. When I was young I did a lot of stupid things even up into my forties. Finally I wised up to the fact that it cost too much money wise & body wise to continue that lifestyle. I'm retired now also.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:07 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I came to check on this thread to make some snarky comments directed at those that that just answered "No.”

As usual , and should be expected by FTF, I'm encouraged by the response. As corny as it sounds, great power does bring great responsibility. That’s been shown here in a way I didn't really see coming. I'm not sure if its just the people that enjoy this forum but I do get the sense that this group is more level headed than most.

This is going to be an important part of the national conversation and so far I love what I see. Mainly because its not something that's discussed in the media. Its a unique concept that only the armed masses understand.

I have personally checked myself several times when walking out the door to make sure I was carrying. Not just for my own protection , but for the fact that if something did happen and I had left my pistol at home, I would have a hard time living with myself (assuming I survived). For me, its gone beyond a sense of personal protection and delved into a sense of social responsibility. I didn't feel that before.

I don't go looking for trouble but now that I have the power to defend myself and others, I can't allow myself to let trouble find us.

Just for kicks: the “no” answer was only funny the first time. To Everyone else that answered the same way: Its a discussion jackholes. So elaborate. Work your lazy gray matter. This is a public service here, don’t' forget it.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #53

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I came to check on this thread to make some snarky comments directed at those that that just answered "No.”

Just for kicks: the “no” answer was only funny the first time. To Everyone else that answered the same way: Its a discussion jackholes. So elaborate. Work your lazy gray matter. This is a public service here, don’t' forget it.
Once again ---NOPE -------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #54

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
Being a CHP holder for past two years has made me very much more conscious and intuitive regarding my surroundings. It takes awhile(months really) to get comfortable with the fact you are carrying a deadly weapon and trying to decipher the possible dreadful scenarios when you may have to actually draw and use it!
I agree with Mountainskytop 100%. I am much more aware of my surroundings and the people around me now. Seems like my senses are turned on high.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ROGER4314 Congratulations on your sobriety! I too am an ex user anything and everything. Been sober since 1978 and love it. Once again Congrats!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #56

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

This is a great thread and I would like to honestly comment about my experience switching from a pistol-owner to a responsible CCW enthusiast.

Picked up my first pistol when I was 23. It was a Glock23 .40 cal and I definitely ran before learning how to walk. That gun was way too much for me and I picked up many bad habits. Thankfully, though, I didnt feel the need to apply for my carry permit at that time. I just hit the range with my Glock from time to time, shooting horribly and not understanding why.

At home, though, is when I really felt a connection with my new firearm. I kept handling it, taking it apart, learning how it functioned and cycled, etc. But still I was too afraid to actually CARRY the damn thing! What an idiot.

I did however, begin to load it up and carry it in my car's glovebox when I would drive to certain places, particularly around Philly. It empowered me to know it was in there....and in my young inexperienced mind it made me feel like a sheriff when riding down certain neighborhoods. I began to drive to places with a sense of pride, power, and responsibility (or lack of in hindsight).

Anyways, fast forward to 2008 when I finally smartened up and decided to get responsible with my gun and apply for my carry permit. I got the permit, and at the time had a S&W Sigma in 9mm and a Taurus Airweight .357 snubby. I slowly began to carry the snubby in certain places....but then had mixed emotions about carrying. It was empowering but also caused anxiety. I felt that people were all looking at me and saw the gun printing!! Of course this was all in my mind.

Long story short, it took me a solid 2+ years of slowly carrying more and more to get to where I am now. A solid 2-3 years of carrying in 90% of the places I go, except work because its not permitted. I now carry my Glock 26 pretty much everywhere I go.....and feel naked without it in public. I am smarter, more accurate, and understand my carry gun inside and out! I just wish there was some mandatory training for when you first get your carry permit. I was so lost when I first got mine and had no direction to turn for a solid baseline training course, could have helped me big time!

Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #57

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215
This is a great thread and I would like to honestly comment about my experience switching from a pistol-owner to a responsible CCW enthusiast.

Picked up my first pistol when I was 23. It was a Glock23 .40 cal and I definitely ran before learning how to walk. That gun was way too much for me and I picked up many bad habits. Thankfully, though, I didnt feel the need to apply for my carry permit at that time. I just hit the range with my Glock from time to time, shooting horribly and not understanding why.

At home, though, is when I really felt a connection with my new firearm. I kept handling it, taking it apart, learning how it functioned and cycled, etc. But still I was too afraid to actually CARRY the damn thing! What an idiot.

I did however, begin to load it up and carry it in my car's glovebox when I would drive to certain places, particularly around Philly. It empowered me to know it was in there....and in my young inexperienced mind it made me feel like a sheriff when riding down certain neighborhoods. I began to drive to places with a sense of pride, power, and responsibility (or lack of in hindsight).

Anyways, fast forward to 2008 when I finally smartened up and decided to get responsible with my gun and apply for my carry permit. I got the permit, and at the time had a S&W Sigma in 9mm and a Taurus Airweight .357 snubby. I slowly began to carry the snubby in certain places....but then had mixed emotions about carrying. It was empowering but also caused anxiety. I felt that people were all looking at me and saw the gun printing!! Of course this was all in my mind.

Long story short, it took me a solid 2+ years of slowly carrying more and more to get to where I am now. A solid 2-3 years of carrying in 90% of the places I go, except work because its not permitted. I now carry my Glock 26 pretty much everywhere I go.....and feel naked without it in public. I am smarter, more accurate, and understand my carry gun inside and out! I just wish there was some mandatory training for when you first get your carry permit. I was so lost when I first got mine and had no direction to turn for a solid baseline training course, could have helped me big time!
Shoulda just logged in,, we woulda straightened you out a long time ago,,,,,,, sometimes it helps to see how others transitioned.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #58

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

I am a lot like you. Got a Ruger p89 when I was 22 for my first hand gun. Took a couple years to feel confident enough to feel like I could handle it well enough to actually start thinking about carrying it. Before I got my CC I traded the ruger for a taurus 24/7. It is a full frame gun and I'm kinda small guy. I grew up on the farm so even in the summer hardly wear shorts, always jeans and a tee. When I first started carrying I was worried about everybody looking and my gun printing for a long time. I bought a Bodygaurd .380 so I could get used to carrying in different situations. But now the 24/7 is very comfy and I (don't want to say do not notice it's there because I do) don't get anxious about others knowing it is there. I have a M&P40c to replace my bodygaurd.380 on the way, for when I'm wearing light clothing the trigger pull on the bodygaurd just didn't do it for me.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #59

Liked 86 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 28

"I have personally checked myself several times when walking out the door to make sure I was carrying. Not just for my own protection , but for the fact that if something did happen and I had left my pistol at home, I would have a hard time living with myself (assuming I survived). For me, its gone beyond a sense of personal protection and delved into a sense of social responsibility. I didn't feel that before".

I thought I was the only one that feels that way. How would I feel if I found myself in a situation where if I was armed I may have been able to stop something bad from happening and my weapon was at home in the dresser? That has been the only attitude change I have had. My wife agrees with me, she won't carry but seems to feel better when I do.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #60

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have no such "social responsibility", I am not a sworn officer of any lea. If MY or My FAMILIES life is danger,, not shooting it out like this is the f**king OK Corral.
Scenarios are far to open to variables,,, maybe the person shooting is actually defending himself from a unseen or noticed attacker,, attacker pulls gun/knife and is threatening victim, ,,,,,,victim is a law abidding cwp holder and is forced to draw on attacker and put three center mass,,,,,, now all you see is this dude looking all panicked and sh*t holding the gun and now you decide to "save" everyone but blowing this scumbag away??

I would like to think it is black or white,, but situations are sometimes in that grey area where what you do may or may not put you in prison. I have two children that I plan to see them grow up,, not go to prison for shooting some crankster gangster at 7-11.