Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jstrong: Good to see younger guys get it. I'm 31 and most people my age don't get it. Keep it up and always build your collection. Remember what the old timers say: you can never have too many guns or too much p@@@@(word censored bc I don't want to offend the ladies on the forum). I've heard some say too many guns or too much money also.
Carrying has changed me. I'm pretty small, 5'9 150 with a baby face. I look like an easy target. I've been fist fighting all my life, mainly out of necessity. I no longer fist fight bc I don't want to escalate into a deadly force encounter and I also have a fear of my sidearm being taken and used on me or some other innocent victim. I'll avoid fights and violence every chance I get. If a fight is unavoidable, I would most likely draw and call the cops. It's just too risky bc there is always someone better at fighting than you. I refuse to allow my gun to be taken and I think drawing with a verbal warning and calling the cops is reasonable in that situation. I've only been danger close to a fight since carrying one time. At the time I was not carrying, I didn't back down, but I got out of the situation as soon as possible. Had I been carrying I've would've cheesed up in a heartbeat. I've beaten up too many people twice my size to ever underestimate ANYone. Believe me, I've been beaten up plenty too, I'm just not willing to be beaten up while carrying bc I don't want my sidearm taken by the perpetrator. Remember what one of the unwritten tests is for using deadly force: what would a reasonable person do? Reasonable people don't blow their top at the drop of a hat and reasonable people don't escalate violent confrontations.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #42

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

My confidence while carrying has gone through the roof. Not egotistical or anything like that. But while I'm carrying I know that (short of an asteroid or other freak accident) I can protect my loved ones from harm. While I was in school I had friends hanging out until 3 in the morning and I would walk the girls back to their dorms all the time. Back then I carried a pocket knife and my wits. My only reason for fighting would be to let the others escape if a BG wanted to harm them. My attitude for CC is the same. Draw and let everyone else escape while I call the police. I would probably lose at least half of any fistfights I get into but 99% of BGs will stop when they see a gun. So my confidence in my ability to protect those I care about has risen

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1840 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
My confidence while carrying has gone through the roof. Not egotistical or anything like that. But while I'm carrying I know that (short of an asteroid or other freak accident) I can protect my loved ones from harm. While I was in school I had friends hanging out until 3 in the morning and I would walk the girls back to their dorms all the time. Back then I carried a pocket knife and my wits. My only reason for fighting would be to let the others escape if a BG wanted to harm them. My attitude for CC is the same. Draw and let everyone else escape while I call the police. I would probably lose at least half of any fistfights I get into but 99% of BGs will stop when they see a gun. So my confidence in my ability to protect those I care about has risen
Thus the point I made earlier!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #44

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Change in attitude

The most prominent thing I've noticed in myself is that when I'm in a store or in the parking lot my head is like on a swivel. I try to watch as many things as I can, even though I live in area w/ very low crime I still don't want myself or my wife to become victims.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Based on the stats in a recent story about Florida CCW holders I would guess that it does change your attitude. The stats showed that right around 0.3% of permit holders have been arrested for anything in Florida. By the same token, the stats showed that one of every 19 people in Florida has a permit. Yes, there are errors in the stats. Non-resident licenses were not taken into account, but it's still an amazingly low crime rate for that population segment.

One thing I have noticed after talking to people is they seem to have less fear of certain parts of town. Personally, I think they are foolish, but that's up to them. If I wouldn't go somewhere before I was carrying, I still don't go there now that I am. Why should I risk having the life changing event of taking another human beings life, or even worse, losing mine? When my loved ones say goodbye to me I would prefer it to be from natural causes, not my own stupidity.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #46

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
When my loved ones say goodbye to me I would prefer it to be from natural causes, not my own stupidity.
Amen! Those are words to live by!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Based on the stats in a recent story about Florida CCW holders I would guess that it does change your attitude. The stats showed that right around 0.3% of permit holders have been arrested for anything in Florida. By the same token, the stats showed that one of every 19 people in Florida has a permit. Yes, there are errors in the stats. Non-resident licenses were not taken into account, but it's still an amazingly low crime rate for that population segment.

One thing I have noticed after talking to people is they seem to have less fear of certain parts of town. Personally, I think they are foolish, but that's up to them. If I wouldn't go somewhere before I was carrying, I still don't go there now that I am. Why should I risk having the life changing event of taking another human beings life, or even worse, losing mine? When my loved ones say goodbye to me I would prefer it to be from natural causes, not my own stupidity.
I agree 100% with staying out of trouble areas.
Why would you go there now that you're carrying, when you wouldn't have gone there before?
I carry to protect myself where ever I might find myself normally. I don't go looking for trouble now that I am armed. I never want trouble...anywhere.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #48

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I try to avoid the same places that I avoided bfore I started carrying, Why invite trouble?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #49

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
I agree 100% with staying out of trouble areas.
Why would you go there now that you're carrying, when you wouldn't have gone there before?
I carry to protect myself where ever I might find myself normally. I don't go looking for trouble now that I am armed. I never want trouble...anywhere.
/ Fortunately for myself & my wife we seldom go anywhere that would be an invitation to trouble. The few times a year that we travel to California are about the closest we come to being exposed to possible trouble ie: The truck stops where we have to fuel. Otherwise we seldom go anywhere that one would logically expect trouble, Home Depot, WalMart & the grocery stores in Flagstaff aren't exactly hot spots for trouble. The closest was the time the bank in Fry's grocery store was robbed in broad daylight, fortunately we hadn't gone there that day.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Almost exactly 1/2 of my life revolved around booze and chemicals. I've been clean and sober for 31 1/2 years and there has been a similar transition away from violence in my life. Violence was my constant companion then. I live a life of peace, now. My transition happened in several stages, however.

I changed. I am different. I don't do things the same way, frequent the same places or associate with the same people. That changed my relationship with violence if nothing else did. That was step one.

I started working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice inside the prisons. I didn't work in the State Jails. We called those the "baby prisons" I worked in the hard core Institutional Division.

There were Offenders in that lockup who were incarcerated for exactly the same behavior that I exhibited. I couldn't talk to the Offenders about their charges or get friendly but we were packed into a small space and you overhear things. It was a shock to hear that I was a free man and they were incarcerated because of a break of lady luck. I never told them but it made a profound impression on me that I was walking a slippery slope. I knew that my attitudes and behavior had to change or there was a rack waiting for me in a lockup. Throwing hands during a dispute was not a winning proposition! My record was spotless. Why?....I don't know. God knows, I deserved the wrath of the law! That was step 2.

I got my first CHL about 7 years ago. I'll end my first renewal in 2014. My record is still spotless and I'm getting older, wiser, I'm retired so my stress level is about zero, stay away from Gin Mills, bars, bawdy houses and don't hang with people who do those things. Similarly, I do NOT have need for violent reactions to much of anything. If good fortune stays with me, I'll never have the need to use my CHL and my piece can wear itself shiny from carry and not shooting. Growing up and getting my CHL combined for step 3 in my transition.

I do not look for trouble and will do everything in my power to extricate myself from it if it should find me. My CHL changed me but it was only one of several factors that initiated the change.

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; 01-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.
People Like This