Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U

Please elaborate a little on the distance thing, I don't have a ccp yet and am still kicking the idea around. I am not yet convinced that it isn't a "back door way of registering not firearms but the owners". Only time will tell on that though.
I believe he's referring to what's taught in self defense/ ccw courses as the three second rule; where an attacker can cover an average of 21 feet in 3 seconds. Thus making the need for a practiced, smooth draw to target AND situational awareness is paramount.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #32

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwHYRBNc9r8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

stig Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #33
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Getting my CCW has not changed my personality or my attitude at all. With what my father taught me about fighting and self defense, I have always tried to avoid fights when possible. Granted, I have been charged with assault on 2 occaisions in my teens, and it was only after a long talk with the county Sheriff and the county judge that I was approved. The charges were dropped in both cases. Case 1, I had a guy bust a beer bottle over my head, and I used him to break 2 tables and a window after he pulled a knife. He had 1 witness, I had 12. Case 2, my cousin's husband came home drunk one night, and mistook her for a punching bag. His mistake was not checking the rest of the rooms in the house first. I wound up putting him in the hospital, where his FIL and my father had a little talk with him while he was there. Charges were dropped the next day. I was told to keep my temper in check by the Sheriff and the judge, and I had to keep myself out of troublr for one year before they granted my CCW.

If anything, I am more aware of my suroundings now, so that I will have a better chance of staying out of trouble. It is not worth the risk of losing my CCW unless someone else is going to, or is trying to use deadly force against me or my family. If that is the case, I would, in all likellyhood, still have the right to CC. My own feeling on that is, I am not doing my job right if I wind up in that position.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 368

No! I'm still a lover!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #35

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Well I've always been an even tempered,laid back kinda guy. Even for being a big guy,I'd never felt the need to excavate a conflict that I was the target of. The only times I've ever felt the need to step into any conflict was when a good friend was the target of aggression. But having just turned 21 my CCP should be in the mailbox in a week or two,I don't think it will change my demeanor very much but will report back when I have been carrying for a few weeks.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #36
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
Well I've always been an even tempered,laid back kinda guy. Even for being a big guy,I'd never felt the need to excavate a conflict that I was the target of. The only times I've ever felt the need to step into any conflict was when a good friend was the target of aggression. But having just turned 21 my CCP should be in the mailbox in a week or two,I don't think it will change my demeanor very much but will report back when I have been carrying for a few weeks.
Happy belated birthday, and welcome to CC.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #37

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Not really.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 AM   #38

I find myself being on best behavior when armed. Never been a hot tempered type either. I do feel much more secure and know I won't use it unless its in a legally justified situation. I make sure I'm not the one to instigate a problem and will do everything I can avoid such a life changing moment.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No

Old 12-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #40

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's hard to tell as I returned from USMC in 1971 and got a permit when I joined the local Sheriff's Dept - - - we were required to carry both on and off duty - - - no longer required but recommended.

I think if you take a good self defense course that might make your thought process change and the CCW is just another tool - - - don't ever think you can take a life without an effect on you. I had to take an escaping prisioner down in 1969 and while it was totally justified it still is in my head.

Could I do it again if need be, yes but I will do anything reasonable to avoid it.