Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude? - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post

Hell Doc, according to a judge yesterday in a trial I was subpoenaed for,, HP's are cop killers, able to penetrate body armor and still mushroom through the body,,,,

As for the bg in this case I'm amazed he didn't get atleast knocked out,, 38's to the face gotta pack a punch. He's either tough as nails, or lucky as hell,,, maybe both.
You forgot to stupid to go down

Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I shall soon find out.... I take take the class to get my cocealed handgun license tomorrow!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
Hell Doc, according to a judge yesterday in a trial I was subpoenaed for,, HP's are cop killers, able to penetrate body armor and still mushroom through the body,,,,

As for the bg in this case I'm amazed he didn't get atleast knocked out,, 38's to the face gotta pack a punch. He's either tough as nails, or lucky as hell,,, maybe both.
It's not the HP's, it's the uniform. They apparently have a force field around them that makes hollow point ammo accelerate, hence the armor penetration. <grin> Did you ever wonder why a lawyer has a JD after his name. It stands for Just Dumb.

What we see a lot of in the less than perfect .38 Special head shots is no penetration beyond the skin, or skull penetration but no penetration of the membranes surrounding the brain. The bullet follows the path of least resistance instead of penetrating. Again, it depends on angle, which bone was hit, and genetic makeup. Some skulls are more angular, some are denser, and as can be seen in this perps actions, some are just plain empty.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #104

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I actually have similar first hand experience, as a child maybe 10 at a neighborhood friends house, I picked up a 32 revolver and squeezed the trigger hitting my friend 1-2" below his right eye,, he lived and is fine, my point is police told my parents later that he was very lucky,, by the angle I was holding the gun the bullet (on a straight path ) should've went into his lower brain /brainstem,, instead somehow it struck his cheek , angled down spiraling just behind his top teeth and down into his neck. Now it wasn't a hp but just an real life example of how bullets don't just go right through people, so I agree with doc here, to many variables at play.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #105

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelooker View Post
/ Amazing what age does to a persons perspective. When I was young I did a lot of stupid things even up into my forties. Finally I wised up to the fact that it cost too much money wise & body wise to continue that lifestyle. I'm retired now also.
I came to the conclusion that I didn't grow up until I turned 40. I think that a lot of men just don't want to grow up too soon, thing is it tends to PO wives or girlfriends to not be grown up.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Being grown up is so completely goddamned overrated, its not even funny.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

So, a colleague of mine and I were discussing carry and how often we do it. He mentioned a time where he literally missed a local shooting (gang related) by all of ten minutes. He claims to have actually driven by the group that was gunned down just minutes later. His attitude was pretty brazen, and seemed disappointed that he missed an opportunity some how. I think he's just talkin the talk. Personally, I don't feel bad about not being involved in a gang shooting but maybe that's just me. Any thoughts?

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #108

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe you'd have to awfully crazy

or awfully dumb to want to be in ANY kind of shooting.

It changes your life for the bad every time IMHO

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #109

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
So, a colleague of mine and I were discussing carry and how often we do it. He mentioned a time where he literally missed a local shooting (gang related) by all of ten minutes. He claims to have actually driven by the group that was gunned down just minutes later. His attitude was pretty brazen, and seemed disappointed that he missed an opportunity some how. I think he's just talkin the talk. Personally, I don't feel bad about not being involved in a gang shooting but maybe that's just me. Any thoughts?
Yes the law of unintended consequences which is related directly to Murphy's Law. One has to be very careful what one wishes for, on the other hand you have to be prepared for a time when you may have to stand in the gap when no one else is around to provide the where-with-all to protect the helpless. Just don't go looking for trouble as one may get far more than what they had bargained for.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #110

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have my utah ccw but I live in the schiester state of IL so I dont get to carry here. However I went to Tn. for vacation and carried in IN, KYand TN. Honestly the very first time was a bit freightful , trying to make sure I wasnt carrying in places I shouldnt be .I found out pretty quick the ones you cant are marked well and I just avoided them , there arent very many places you cant carry down there . I was constantly checking my shirt to make sure it was covered and of course it was but it was just one of those thingsthat bothered me . Im a pretty easy going person , I dont go looking for trouble . I have a family that counts one me to bring home a paycheck. It didnt change my attitude but made me constantly aware of more things .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Cattledog Likes This