Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Unpopulist
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default Did becoming a CCW holder change your attitude?

A few months ago my friend and I, we'll call him Jay, were talking about what it meant to be a CCW holder and he brought up an interesting point about his attitude towards conflict now that he carries. Jay's a pretty big guy. Like the kind you'd instinctively avoid pissing off cause he looks to be good at breaking faces.

As it happens, he also has a short tolerance for stupid people, loud mouths or anyone in general that deserves a good face-breaking. However, he confided in me that since he began carrying, his impulse to confront people has nearly gone away. He mentioned that he fears escalation could lead to him drawing his firearm and being good people, he doesn’t want to kill anyone.

Not having his particular issues with conflict, I countered that my biggest fear would be having my firearm taken from me should I get into a physical confrontation, so I'd be even more inclined to avoid one.

We've all heard “an armed society is a polite society” and that's great as a philosophical argument, but does anyone else have a specific insight into how their attitude changed since they began to carry?

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1633 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 3379

Nope. Not at all.

Although its good that it changed your friend.

Last edited by towboater; 12-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.
dango Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If an individual cannot maintain cordiality and calm nerves, they have no reason to carry a gun.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Liked 224 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 20

No, my attitude didn't change. I was never quick tempered nor impulsive.

What did change though, was that we, my wife, my sister, and I, did go to more remote places in our birdwatching expeditions, where we would not have gone before. Not reckless, you understand, but less fearful.

Bob Wright

Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Being a CHP holder for past two years has made me very much more conscious and intuitive regarding my surroundings. It takes awhile(months really) to get comfortable with the fact you are carrying a deadly weapon and trying to decipher the possible dreadful scenarios when you may have to actually draw and use it!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

I gave up most of my bad habits years ago, so there weren't many lifestyle changes to make for carrying. I prepared myself as well as possible by seriously studying the carry laws in my State, so I am confident that I know when the gun should stay on my hip. While I do have a quick temper, I learned to master it long ago. You have to work at it to get me really riled.

The only thing that has changed with me is the clothes I wear in the Summer. Living in the tropical climate of North Florida, you have to dress lightly, so to cover, I wear ugly shirts. Big prints to mask the profile of my pistol. (It makes me look like a Yankee tourist, but that blends in well in Florida)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

dango Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 677

This one of the interesting things I have noted both as a LEO who have known MANY LEO's who found themselves carrying a gun off duty and there have been several hundred people I have instructed in Armed Self Defense. Most have said they too have noted a they had a different attitude to conflict.
I think this comes from two 'places'!!!
As you touched on above, people do not want a minor conflict to escalate into a lethal incident so they are less apt to escalate it.
BUT I think this is based more a gain in self confidence than fear. When you are armed you are both conscious and subconsciously aware you have the ability to handle almost any situation when it comes to defending yourself and others so it is much easier to 'walk away' from minor incidents and not feel threatened as quickly.
Just an observation!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 67 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
A few months ago my friend and I, we'll call him Jay, were talking about what it meant to be a CCW holder and he brought up an interesting point about his attitude towards conflict now that he carries. Jay's a pretty big guy. Like the kind you'd instinctively avoid pissing off cause he looks to be good at breaking faces.

As it happens, he also has a short tolerance for stupid people, loud mouths or anyone in general that deserves a good face-breaking. However, he confided in me that since he began carrying, his impulse to confront people has nearly gone away. He mentioned that he fears escalation could lead to him drawing his firearm and being good people, he doesn’t want to kill anyone.

Not having his particular issues with conflict, I countered that my biggest fear would be having my firearm taken from me should I get into a physical confrontation, so I'd be even more inclined to avoid one.

We've all heard “an armed society is a polite society” and that's great as a philosophical argument, but does anyone else have a specific insight into how their attitude changed since they began to carry?
I noticed that ever since I had mine I've been a lot more aware and careful about getting into any kind of conflict that could possibly escalate to domestic violence because I don't want to put my ccw permit in jeopardy. I guess it made me feel like having to be more responsible because the permit requires a responsible citizen. So basically yeah I've been avoid confrontation because of it...not that I was a "hot head" to begin with.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After 22 years in the Corps and growing up in Idaho hunting anything that was legal not much. One thing that did get my attention is the average distance that an attack can come from. That is a wake up call for sure....

Semper Fi

"One shot one kill"

dango Likes This 
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts

Good topic I just got my ccw yesterday and will be new to it. Thanks for insight