Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Definition of concealed carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Definition of concealed carry?

Exactly how is "concealed" defined? I just got an ITP holster for my FN FiveseveN, but it's a full size pistol, so it still may show SOME bulk. I'm 5'7" and about 145-150 lbs, so I wouldn't really be able to hide ANY ITP holster without showing at least a slight amount of bulk when I have my shirt over it. Is this considered violating concealed carry rules and showing my weapon? I don't want to end up catching hell from authorities because I have a little bulk near the small of my back. I go to school in FL and reside in AL when I'm not there, so I won't be wearing a jacket much at all, which makes an ITP holster one of my only choices.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
Exactly how is "concealed" defined? I just got an ITP holster for my FN FiveseveN, but it's a full size pistol, so it still may show SOME bulk. I'm 5'7" and about 145-150 lbs, so I wouldn't really be able to hide ANY ITP holster without showing at least a slight amount of bulk when I have my shirt over it. Is this considered violating concealed carry rules and showing my weapon? I don't want to end up catching hell from authorities because I have a little bulk near the small of my back. I go to school in FL and reside in AL when I'm not there, so I won't be wearing a jacket much at all, which makes an ITP holster one of my only choices.
Adj. 1. concealed - not accessible to view; "concealed (or hidden) damage"; "in stormy weather the stars are out of sight"
hidden, out of sight
invisible, unseeable - impossible or nearly impossible to see; imperceptible by the eye; "the invisible man"; "invisible rays"; "an invisible hinge"; "invisible mending"
2. concealed - hidden on any grounds for any motive; "a concealed weapon"; "a concealed compartment in his briefcase"
covert - secret or hidden; not openly practiced or engaged in or shown or avowed; "covert actions by the CIA"; "covert funding for the rebels"
unconcealed - not concealed or hidden; "her unconcealed hostility poisoned the atmosphere"; "watched with unconcealed curiosity"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8592 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Legally, Virginia defines it as "concealed from common observation, and so connected with the person as to be readily accesible for use or surprise." Further stipulates that a hunter protecting a weapon from inclement weather is NOT carrying concealed.

Now, what YOU are describing is known as "printing", where the shape of a weapon is visible thru clothing- and some states prohibit that.

IMHO, the purpose of concealed carry is just that- concealment. I don't want my CCW to show. I have HAVE to draw, I sorta want it to be a surprise. Will you have LEO's asking you to explain yourself? Definite possibility. The Handgun in question may require some work to carry concealed- but I have carried a 1911. I'm 5'8"

Old 01-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm of similar build and I have concealed a 4" Colt Anaconda in my pants (no pun intended). Concealing a FiveseveN should be simple, if you select your clothing correctly...

Old 01-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

Yeah, you can barely see any extra bulk, but if I had any kind of holster, even for a smaller pistol, in my pants it would show at least SOME sort of bulkiness. It'd be difficult to notice unless you see me everyday, but if I'm not allowed to show any miniscule amount of bulk, then I was going to be limited to trying to concealed carry a derringer or something else about the size of a water pistol. I just wanted to make sure I knew the specifics.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

First and formost the fiveseven is not a good gun for personal protection. To much risk of over penetration leading to passing through your intended target and injuring a inocent bystander. Opening yourself to a great liability suit. Being issued the right to CCW comes with great responsabilty. IMO I would carry a different gun and dress to conceal. If it takes 1 size larger shirt so be it. Just my .02