A defensive weopon for Non_US citizen travelling thru?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

A defensive weopon for Non_US citizen travelling thru?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default A defensive weopon for Non_US citizen travelling thru?

I am lucky enough to be visiting the (Western) United States this coming November; 4 great weeks ahead.
The Mrs. & I will hire a vehicle and drive around - Los Angeles ; Death Valley, Reno - Grand Canyon Idaho - Washington- vague plans but lots of camping in the Beautiful out-doors.
I am a citizen of NZ. I have an NZ 'Firearms license'.
I'd like to have with me a Remington 870, an SKS and a 1911. Kinda covering "close"; very Close & -further away-.
Of course I can rarely actually have with me *ALL* three of those good buddies. I make do.

My question: how to go about protecting myself and loved one during 4 weeks car travel through these Western States. I have done some 'Googling'. Seems I can use my I-94 permission to enter and my passport when asking for a license. I'm thinking it my be better to leave California and travel to a more reasonable State = eg Nevada, or Idaho - or Washington or Arizona?

Any suggestions ... questions ... comments?

Steve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 71

All i know, non US residents aren't allowed to buy firearms. You can only rent them in gun shooting ranges.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

Default ..not U.S. Citizen?---required to demonstrate that they are legally....

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/concealed-carry-travel-resources-45366/

Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I assume you aren't in US yet. And on November you are coming into US as a tourist or visitor. Am i right?
Why would tourists be allowed to own or purchase firearms in US? If i visit your country, NZ, will i be allowed to own or purchase firearms?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3467 Times on 1987 Posts
Likes Given: 1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
All i know, non US residents aren't allowed to buy firearms. You can only rent them in gun shooting ranges.
Legal aliens (though they are few in numbers today) can purchase firearms if they meet the requirements of "resident aliens".

My spouse is a good example. She is German, registered as "resident alien" with proper documentation.

Visitors on a temporary visa are not allowed to purchase firearms. I do not know if pepper spray is restricted from purchase.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10720 Times on 4641 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Onk- stop asking us to explain WHY a law was written the way it was written. As far as I am concerned, they were eating mushroom pizza at the time, and I suspect it was the mushrooms.

Rab- US citizens and Resident Aliens (am also married to one) may purchase firearms. Non-resident aliens may purchase a firearm under limited circumstances.

For MOST visitors, the circumstance would be that you have a hunting license, and purchase a hunting weapon. Please note that for a non-resident, that would be likely rather expensive, require a hunter safety course, etc etc. Stay out of CA, and pepper spray is available over-the-counter at a LOT of places.

For those that say a non-resident alien cannot legally buy a firearm- (no, am not going into state law like NJ or ILL) some reading for you- A friend publishes a blog called NRVoutdoors.com He is a proff of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech, nice guy, and a very readable writer.

Go to nrvoutdoors.com. On the LEFT side, scroll down quite a ways until you come to "Mike buys a rifle- Adventures of a Non-Resident Alien at Walmart".

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

If it turns out that a firearm and/or pepper spray are not options buy a can of wasp spray. Honestly its better than pepper spray, usually cheaper, has around a 20' range and is completely legal.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
If it turns out that a firearm and/or pepper spray are not options buy a can of wasp spray. Honestly its better than pepper spray, usually cheaper, has around a 20' range and is completely legal.
Never heard that before. Probably cheaper two, will it make you go blind?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #9

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

scare_rab may this will help you out.
http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100813080845AA1ITiF

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10720 Times on 4641 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

The "90 day residency" was just dropped under FEDERAL law.