Defense plan - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Defense plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Grab gun, point, aim, shoot until threat eliminated.

No children or wife to have to give a sh!t about. Yup perfect life, I know.

Would only report if in earshot of others. Sadly I usually am.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #12

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Wake up to dogs barking madly. Yell at dogs to shut up. Fumble for glasses on nightstand. Yell more at dogs to shut up. Get up, stumble over dogs. Yell at them to shut up. Exit bedroom, bumping into doorframe. Wife is now yelling at dogs. Look through house. Cats are looking innocent. Check to see if teenage daughter is in room. She yells at me. Look out front door - see nothing. Look out back door - see nothing. Tell dogs they are crazy, and SHUT UP. Go back to bedroom. Tell small dog to get out of my spot. Dog growls at me. Move dog, get back in bed. Wife says "did you have to make so much noise."

Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Right back at you. Ha!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Thats wild Kal....what was going through your mind as you woke up and kicked into action? I'm curious as to what your mindset and body did under adrenaline and fear. Might help some of us to know exactly how you went about your house and if you fumbled on anything.

Very glad it was just a random incident. Weird things happen in homes at night. Ive only cleared my home once in the 3 years Ive been here for a weird noise downstairs but turns out it was my crazy ass cat knocking over a picture frame which hit the floor
First thing that went through my head was "i think that was inside our house". Then instinct kinda kicked in and I grabbed the gun and ran into the hall. I wasn't sure what to do though when I had to decide to head towards the kid room or the noise, and that is where I Hung up. (I now have a plan though) Once my wife was coherent she watched the kids room and I went towards the noise. I surprisingly stayed pretty objective though. Only fumbled getting the gun for a sec

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Wake up to dogs barking madly. Yell at dogs to shut up. Fumble for glasses on nightstand. Yell more at dogs to shut up. Get up, stumble over dogs. Yell at them to shut up. Exit bedroom, bumping into doorframe. Wife is now yelling at dogs. Look through house. Cats are looking innocent. Check to see if teenage daughter is in room. She yells at me. Look out front door - see nothing. Look out back door - see nothing. Tell dogs they are crazy, and SHUT UP. Go back to bedroom. Tell small dog to get out of my spot. Dog growls at me. Move dog, get back in bed. Wife says "did you have to make so much noise."
Right back at you. Ha!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #16

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The best way to handle these things is to make up your mind in advance that you will not open the door for anyone or even to see who is out there . Do not go outside to protect property .

Call 911 immediately if you suspect anything threatening and stay on the line . Hunker down in a covered spot, ideally with a good field of fire, and wait for the intruder to break in and come to you . You can shout a warning before he breaks the door in if you wish .

Once the intruder is inside the house, operate on the assumption that he is armed an intends to kill you .
If need be, use a tactical flashlight to positively identify him as the intruder . Do not assume he is alone . Remember that any delay may allow him to take cover and fire on you .
If you have no gun, shout " Billy, get the gun -I'm calling the police ".

Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
The best way to handle these things is to make up your mind in advance that you will not open the door for anyone or even to see who is out there . Do not go outside to protect property .

Call 911 immediately if you suspect anything threatening and stay on the line . Hunker down in a covered spot, ideally with a good field of fire, and wait for the intruder to break in and come to you . You can shout a warning before he breaks the door in if you wish .

Once the intruder is inside the house, operate on the assumption that he is armed an intends to kill you .
If need be, use a tactical flashlight to positively identify him as the intruder . Do not assume he is alone . Remember that any delay may allow him to take cover and fire on you .
If you have no gun, shout " Billy, get the gun -I'm calling the police ".
I follow what you are saying, and for the most part agree, but I do have a couple comments.

1. It may not be a good idea to start shouting out stuff after the intruder has made entry. It can give away your position. So can a flashlight.

2. The only cover I have in my house is my car out in the garage and my gun safe, and both of those are questionable for being true cover. I have a pile of concealment places, but those two are all the cover I have.

Because of number two, I don't think number one is a good idea unless you shout before the bad guys get inside.

You are absolutely correct about staying inside. There is nothing in your yard worth dying over, and leaving your house completely exposes you. Stay cool and stay concealed. Use your brain instead of your emotions.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #18

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

If I was asleep my night vision would be active when I awoke. Therefore I would not use a flashlight or turn on a light. I can see pretty well in my home in the dark. And it is my home after all. I know it much better than a stranger.

There are very few things in a home that can be used for cover. But a full book case would be one. A full freezer of meat would be another. Not really the freezer, but the meat inside.

I have checked my home a couple times. I simply grabbed my gun from the drawer and slowly went from room to room. Stayed low and sliced the pie. We all hear weird noises from time to time.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #19

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rick1967 :
Checking out a noise is not what I was talking about . The scenerio in question is " Intruder beating on the door " .

You were quite right to clear the house yourself over a noise instead of calling in a SWAT team .

Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #20

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've never taken the gun to look outside, but I will be the first to admit to being a nosy neighbor and peeking out the blinds if I think I hear something around my place or the neighbors I just think it is important to know how your going to move around and negotiate your own home. I totally forgot about slicing the pie when I cleared mine. It was more of a reckless charge lol.