Defense plan
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Defense plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Defense plan

Had a scare last night when a pan fell off the counter about 3 in the morning (still not sure how it happened, no pets in the house). I first checked my kids hallway and then made my way to the kitchen while my wife stayed in the hallway where she could monitor our kid. Luckily nobody was in the apt, but my wife and I stayed up the rest of the night discussing the best way to act and what we will do next time. It made me wonder, how many of you have plans with your family?

PS- that 2 seconds opening the nightstand safe feels like 20.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Haunted?
You can pick up security cameras cheap nowadays. Attempt to get into my place and you'll have a gun on you before you make it to the front door.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Well just this morning i was woken up at about 3:30am a loud banging at my front door my wife also heard it but continued sleeping i look out my bed room window and there was someone there banging on my door i grab my 1911 and ran to the door ask who it is but no answer and banging keeps on on going then it stops i look through the peep hole and no one there i open the door and look around no one out side ....wierd right ...

Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

The banging sounded like someone was kicking the door thats how loud it was

Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3064 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

On the pan moving, here is a guess.
There are vibrations in "solid" sturctures.
Furnace or A/C unit, refrigerator pump kicking in, air pressure, geological tremors, etc...
My office has raised floors, and when the A/C is running, you can see tremors in the bottled water bottles.

Who's that knocking on your door? It's Dave, man.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I had some "buddies " back when I was around 14 slip over to our house when my folks were gone for a weekend and pull a prank on me. Nieghbor would be around if needed!! I heard some noise and window scratching in our tv room. I jumped up grabbed my shotgun and slide out the front door and ran around the back side of the house not knowing what or who it was. Saws some guys at the back door by then and screamed some fine 4 letter words and fired a shot in the air. They were gone in a flash in the dark and it took a while the next day before one of them said it was my buddies just mess'n with me.

Those guys were buddies till we all gew up and moved away. Never had any more bull from them. I still today tend to slide out a side door to meet noise's head on. Nothing like scare'n the heck out of a black bear in the dark while its raiding the bird feeders on our porch. Amassing how fast they really can run in the dark.

I tend to be able to sleep thru a lightning strom with high winds but let something be out of the norm and I am wide awake and with 3 cats they to get all werd when something is not normal for them too. Good early warning system.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #7

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Thats wild Kal....what was going through your mind as you woke up and kicked into action? I'm curious as to what your mindset and body did under adrenaline and fear. Might help some of us to know exactly how you went about your house and if you fumbled on anything.

Very glad it was just a random incident. Weird things happen in homes at night. Ive only cleared my home once in the 3 years Ive been here for a weird noise downstairs but turns out it was my crazy ass cat knocking over a picture frame which hit the floor

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
I had some "buddies " back when I was around 14 slip over to our house when my folks were gone for a weekend and pull a prank on me. Nieghbor would be around if needed!! I heard some noise and window scratching in our tv room. I jumped up grabbed my shotgun and slide out the front door and ran around the back side of the house not knowing what or who it was. Saws some guys at the back door by then and screamed some fine 4 letter words and fired a shot in the air. They were gone in a flash in the dark and it took a while the next day before one of them said it was my buddies just mess'n with me.

Those guys were buddies till we all gew up and moved away. Never had any more bull from them. I still today tend to slide out a side door to meet noise's head on. Nothing like scare'n the heck out of a black bear in the dark while its raiding the bird feeders on our porch. Amassing how fast they really can run in the dark.

I tend to be able to sleep thru a lightning strom with high winds but let something be out of the norm and I am wide awake and with 3 cats they to get all werd when something is not normal for them too. Good early warning system.
You did a Biden?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
On the pan moving, here is a guess.
There are vibrations in "solid" sturctures.
Furnace or A/C unit, refrigerator pump kicking in, air pressure, geological tremors, etc...
My office has raised floors, and when the A/C is running, you can see tremors in the bottled water bottles.

Who's that knocking on your door? It's Dave, man.
Dave's not here.

Houses also settle. What might have been almost level when the house was built may be even more off level now. The one I always liked was the moving glass or pan when a film of water got trapped under it. I had my daughter believing I was telekinetic with that one.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
Had a scare last night when a pan fell off the counter about 3 in the morning (still not sure how it happened, no pets in the house). I first checked my kids hallway and then made my way to the kitchen while my wife stayed in the hallway where she could monitor our kid. Luckily nobody was in the apt, but my wife and I stayed up the rest of the night discussing the best way to act and what we will do next time. It made me wonder, how many of you have plans with your family?

PS- that 2 seconds opening the nightstand safe feels like 20.
I definitely have a defense plan for my home, and since there are no young kids here it doesn't involve a safe. Will I share my defense plan? Nope. Sorry, but not in a public forum.

I don't know how old your kids are, and I don't know what your local laws are concerning securing your firearm, but many parents I know keep their bedside gun in a key locked cash box. When they go to bed they put the key in the lock, and when they get up they take the key out. This may not be what you and your wife are comfortable with, and it may not meet the requirements of local laws.