Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Defending myself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Maybe a bit if a silly question, but I'm serious nonetheless: how well would standing up for my dog hold in court? He sleeps in the living room which would be the first place the BG enters. Or would it still be better, in a legal situation, to only defend the humans in the household.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post
Maybe a bit if a silly question, but I'm serious nonetheless: how well would standing up for my dog hold in court? He sleeps in the living room which would be the first place the BG enters. Or would it still be better, in a legal situation, to only defend the humans in the household.
As I understand things (I'm not a lawyer, and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately either), dogs are property in the eyes of the law. Some states/locales are more tolerant of defending property than others. As in so much of life, much depends on where your standing. IMHO (again, not a lawyer), if you are in your house/dwelling, it's a moot point. You are defending yourself & your family from an intruder in your house/dwelling. The dog is pretty much a legal non-issue at this point. To put it plainly, most states will see shooting an intruder in your house as justified (barring any weirdness, e.g. Some guy who you happen to owe money to, a couple of teenagers done execution style*, or a guy you caught with your wife or other issues that would call motive into question.) If you are NOT in your house/dwelling, things become less clear cut very quickly.

* don't be this guy: http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2845903.shtml?cat=1
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 12-08-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1648 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 808

Quote:
In that case should I just stay in my room rather than finding out what/who is in my house?
I can't answer that question for you!!!
You need to familiarize yourself with the 'use of deadly force' statutes where you live. I know some states place more restrictions on us than others.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #54

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
If the sumbeech breaks into your house you're defending your house & everything in it-------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #55
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
I am not sure about America in the UK you have to carry your firearm unloaded to the range . You can also use any weapon that comes to hand for self defence if your life is at risk. So if you could get to your firearm in time you could use it . As in all cases it will be the police and public prosecution service the D/A in America that will decide if you were justified using the firearm or not and if it goes to Court or not.
In America you can carry your gun loaded to mcdonalds, we are on two different planets you guys and us

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19990 Times on 11364 Posts
Likes Given: 50429

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I can't answer that question for you!!!
You need to familiarize yourself with the 'use of deadly force' statutes where you live. I know some states place more restrictions on us than others.
well said Jim. a person needs to know the laws as they apply to where they live, and what dictates lawful use of deadly force. every situation can and will be different and a person in that situation will need to evaluate whether to use it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
If the sumbeech breaks into your house you're defending your house & everything in it-------
that's what's nice about Texas and the Castle Law! we have the Castle Law, CC and the death penalty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
In America you can carry your gun loaded to mcdonalds, we are on two different planets you guys and us
FAUSA, you cannot make a blanket statemnet like that! some states are very restrictive when it comes to CC and firearms in general. look at California, Illinois, parts of New York and many other places. to make such a statement like that just borders on lack of knowledge of gun laws in the US.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

well said Jim. a person needs to know the laws as they apply to where they live, and what dictates lawful use of deadly force. every situation can and will be different and a person in that situation will need to evaluate whether to use it or not.

that's what's nice about Texas and the Castle Law! we have the Castle Law, CC and the death penalty!

FAUSA, you cannot make a blanket statemnet like that! some states are very restrictive when it comes to CC and firearms in general. look at California, Illinois, parts of New York and many other places. to make such a statement like that just borders on lack of knowledge of gun laws in the US.
For most of America gun carry is completely fine the only places where it is not is around the great lakes, California and the north east other than New England where it is fine as well except Boston.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #58

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post

For most of America gun carry is completely fine the only places where it is not is around the great lakes, California and the north east other than New England where it is fine as well except Boston.
Where around the Great Lakes is it not Ok to carry a firearm? I live in Michigan and ive carried a firearm with no problems. Just curious to what city or state your talking about.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk

Where around the Great Lakes is it not Ok to carry a firearm? I live in Michigan and ive carried a firearm with no problems. Just curious to what city or state your talking about.
Ilinois, Detroit

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk

Mainly ilinois, but Detroit as well

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY