Defending myself. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Defending myself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

One thing I always consider when I think about what I would do in a dangerous situation. Can I live with myself after I do that? I won't go to the religious stuff. Just think will you be the same after the shooting?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
One thing I always consider when I think about what I would do in a dangerous situation. Can I live with myself after I do that? I won't go to the religious stuff. Just think will you be the same after the shooting?
I most likely wouldn't, but if I didn't act on it and my fiancée dies or my son dies would I be the same after?

It's a tough situation.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #33

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post
I most likely wouldn't, but if I didn't act on it and my fiancée dies or my son dies would I be the same after?

It's a tough situation.
If it's kill or be killed & you don't act then don't bitch about being dead
Will it change you? Hopefully------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23 View Post

It's a tough situation.
I was referring to taking someones life over a TV or 5 gallons of gas. Something as cut and dried as defending your family needs no thought. If you are a low life that will kill someone over a TV they have a place in prison for you.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

I was referring to taking someones life over a TV or 5 gallons of gas. Something as cut and dried as defending your family needs no thought. If you are a low life that will kill someone over a TV they have a place in prison for you.
That's where I'm torn too, if someone breaks into my home and I go see what the noise was, armed. I don't know what I should do if I see someone stealing my possessions. I've thought about trying to stop the person, make an "arrest" of sorts and wait for police to show up, but if I reaches for something...

I also don't want to be the guy who shoots first and asks questions later.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #36

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragecage23

That's where I'm torn too, if someone breaks into my home and I go see what the noise was, armed. I don't know what I should do if I see someone stealing my possessions. I've thought about trying to stop the person, make an "arrest" of sorts and wait for police to show up, but if I reaches for something...

I also don't want to be the guy who shoots first and asks questions later.
In Florida where I'm at, if someone's in my house and stealing stuff..they will be shot no it's ands or buts about it. My castle and they are not welcome in my kingdom . Just make sure you identify who it is prior to pulling that trigger.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I still need to read up on California laws.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #38

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same here if someone breaks into my house where my wife and children are I have a specific gun just for that reason next to my bed. My Mossberg 500 and the only time it has been unloaded is when I bought it and when I clean it. Even if im sleeping on my couch on the main floor I have a firearm on my person. Am I paranoid? I dont think so, anything can happen at any moment and if something were to happen to my wife or children because I had to run upstairs to either grab my shotgun or my pistol I dont know how I would react. But im not willing to find out, and I by no means live in a bad neighborhood but still things can happen anywhere.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #39

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
ragecage23,
Say I'm on my way from my house to the range. (I ride a motorcycle) I have my handgun in an appropriate bag legally separated (gun separate from magazines etc.) if the need arises can I use it then?
Probably not. More than likely you're dead.

In Tennessee, you would have broken no law. Even if you were carrying loaded and cocked with no carry permit, and you were actually in danger, or the threat thereof, no law has been broken. Other states may vary.

Bob Wright

Old 12-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1893 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 897

ALL use of force situations in self defence are based on a 'reasonable, articulable fear'. If this 'fear' is of 'serious bodily injury or death' to yourself or another you would be justified in using 'deadly force'. Some jurisdictions place another requirement on you even then, and that is to prove there were no other 'options' available to you before you use 'force'.
You can 'what if' all day long, but this is the bottom line!!!!
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 12-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.