Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Defending myself. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/defending-myself-77845/)

ragecage23 12-06-2012 05:50 AM

Defending myself.

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a brand new gen 3 G21 and I bring it home Saturday. I've been curious about this for a while: when can I defend myself? I'm not going to have a ccw nor can I open carry. I have an example situation. Say I'm on my way from my house to the range. (I ride a motorcycle) I have my handgun in an appropriate bag legally separated (gun separate from magazines etc.) if the need arises can I use it then?

fupuk 12-06-2012 09:28 AM

What state do you live in?

magnumman 12-06-2012 09:37 AM

Yeah dude. That question has a very complicated answer no matter where you live. I would suggest some online research other than the forums. I know we are so smart and all but I for one am not an attorney. Start with something like handgunlaws.us and talk to the police from there. I see it as highly unlikely that you could dismount your bike, dig out the gun and mag, and get a shot off in a legitimate defensive situation.

John_Deer 12-06-2012 09:44 AM

The idea is to purchase a handgun to take a concealed weapons course so you qualify for concealed weapons permit. Then there is no mystery about how do I defend myself.

pagj17 12-06-2012 09:47 AM

Ragecage... assuming you live in Cali( sounds like it) you have to a) feel in threat of loss of life and/or grievous bodily harm; and b) have cause for that suspicion.
I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I play one, tv or otherwise.

WebleyFosbery38 12-06-2012 09:57 AM

No state in the union bars you from defending yourself but you must learn the local laws anywhere you might transport or use your weapon. Only the actual situation is the key to deciding if that will be the judgement of others after you've shot someone. The possibilities are endless so their is little need in trying to go through the multitude of them.

First and foremost, Deadly Force is just as it sounds, Ultra serious and the use of it is always a major judgement call! Most laws in most states really put the burden on you to prove you feared your life or someone elses life was in imminent danger. They also dont want us taking the law in our own hands in their absence so if you cant convince all of them of your real fear, your probably going to prison.

The decision to defend comes with consequences that can be very good but sometimes they can be extremely bad. The good is if you live or others do because of your actions, the bad is the obvious list of things we never hoped for.

Capability is important, can you accurately return or lay down fire, if not you could cause your own death and others?

Is shooting the only and best way to avoid injury or death, if not, think twice before you draw.

Lastly, pray you never have to do it! Good luck!

PS, that thing looks too damn new, take it out and shoot the crap out of it, have a good time and do it safely!

c3shooter 12-06-2012 10:30 AM

You have been given some good advice above.

No matter WHY, anytime that you use DEADLY FORCE against someone, I assure you- your life will just have changed. You need to do some study of the laws where YOU live.

In general, you may use deadly force to defend yourself from GREIVOUS bodily harm, loss of your life, or reasonable fear of the same. Beyond that point, it quickly gets murky and complex.

Even if some of us here WERE lawyers, we are not YOUR lawyers. A good start would be taking a CCW class where you live- whether you decide to get the license of not.

FullautoUSA 12-06-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagj17
Ragecage... assuming you live in Cali( sounds like it) you have to a) feel in threat of loss of life and/or grievous bodily harm; and b) have cause for that suspicion.
I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I play one, tv or otherwise.

My father is a lawyer and basically in any state if you feel that your life is in danger of death or serious bodily harm and you cannot make a "reasonable escape" then you may use deadly force. But if you live in Florida or New Hampshire, which it does not sound like considering the fact that you have a waiting period, you can use deadly force if you feel threatened without the obligation to retreat hence stand your ground, there may be other states with stand your ground type laws but NH and FL have the most pro gun owner stand your ground laws.

ragecage23 12-06-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman
Yeah dude. That question has a very complicated answer no matter where you live. I would suggest some online research other than the forums. I know we are so smart and all but I for one am not an attorney. Start with something like handgunlaws.us and talk to the police from there. I see it as highly unlikely that you could dismount your bike, dig out the gun and mag, and get a shot off in a legitimate defensive situation.

I'll check that website out. And yeah, it was just an example situation.

I do live in California and the county I live in doesn't give ccw, there was some website that mapped out the probability of qualifying for those. Can I still take the class even though I may not be able to get a ccw?

canebrake 12-06-2012 07:16 PM

Oakland carry with no permit?

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six!

IMHO, F**k Californication!