CWP Concerns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CWP Concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
I think 18 should be the limit as long as that is the voting age and the age you can serve in the military why shouldn't they be allowed to carry?
I agree, I was talking about this with someone else not long ago. There needs to be some consistency in age limits to some things. 18 to smoke, enlist and vote, but 21 to drink and buy a hand gun (except in states that allow private purchase under 21, like mine)

I really think that concept needs to be rethunk. If 18 is old enough to help choose a leader and die for your country, then it should also be old enough to own a handgun and drink a beer for fallen brothers.

If 18 is to immature, then make a person have to be 21 to drink, smoke, vote, AND enlist.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been pulled over for speeding more than I care to admit, I've had my truck tossed when I was younger but I have to say I would have tossed me too. Since I've been a ccw I knock on wood haven't , it almost seems like a mutual trust , that we're on the same side or maybe I've just been lucky. But its never been an issue or problem. I think a lot of leo's have an ability to size up a situation and determin a threat. Seems like the only ones who are disrespectful are the younger ones.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is why I like this forum, there are post made on here that will really make you think about how things are or could be. Just saying!!! 😄

Old 12-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #14

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Hey,I own some handguns purchased at FFL's with the background check,I have a driver's license etc but because I have conditions termed at "mental illnesses"my state technically says I cant have a ccw.I'm sure I could get around it if I fought it hard enough but I just haven't yet because where I live there is almost zero violence and because it costs hundreds of dollars to take the nra class and do the ccw kit so I been putting it off.Now watch,tomorrow some nut with real mental problems shoots me with a stolen gun while the government sent me out unarmed.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-26-2011, 04:15 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't have a problem with having to gain a license in order to carry. The truth is, the time and money required to do so probably weeds out a fair amount of the riff-raff who probably shouldn't be carrying. I wasn't mature enough to carry at 18, or probably even at 22 to be perfectly honest. And fortunately I also didn't have the patience to go through the process. Licensing also at least exposes the prospective carrier to basic handgun safety and carry etiquette. That's an important factor, IMO.

But I do have a problem with certain regions where they make gaining a permit all but impossible.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1494 Times on 976 Posts
Likes Given: 3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I don't have a problem with having to gain a license in order to carry. The truth is, the time and money required to do so probably weeds out a fair amount of the riff-raff who probably shouldn't be carrying. I wasn't mature enough to carry at 18, or probably even at 22 to be perfectly honest. And fortunately I also didn't have the patience to go through the process. Licensing also at least exposes the prospective carrier to basic handgun safety and carry etiquette. That's an important factor, IMO.

But I do have a problem with certain regions where they make gaining a permit all but impossible.
I understand your points. I saw a video once of a gun shop in L.A. and two kids walked in and were looking at assault rifles. Those two kids weren't mature enough to carry a butter knife much less a rifle, and that was in the city. After seeing that, I understood for the first time why people could support gun restrictions. But the Bill of Rights aren't conditional and I feel like once we start putting conditions on those rights there will be no end to it. It's a tough situation with no easy answer.

I really like what rjd3282 said about being 18 and old enough to drink and serve. Just to expand on that, maybe a firearms class should be mandatory at 18 when you register for selective service? The military has always been very supportive of armed civilians and training for civilians. The CMP is a good example of that and I was on the rifle team in high school, which was supported by the military. It would be simple enough to do a military sponsored class for 18 year olds which would ensure competency and basic firearm safety. That would eliminate the need for any other restrictions on the 2nd Amendment and could actually help some kids out that might not have any other means of learning how to properly handle a firearm? It would also make it much more difficult for the government to justify requiring a CWP.

Just a Thought.

Last edited by TLuker; 12-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

TLuker: You have some justification for your concern. Just be glad you live in South Carolina, where you can have a gun in your car even without a permit. South Carolina is one of the best states in the U.S. to live in when it comes to protection of citizens' rights. Although getting a CWP involves getting a "man number", and documentation that you intend to have and to carry a handgun, it is encouraged by LE and the state government in general. I believe SC would be among the last few states in the country to cooperate with any federal gun ban. SC is almost fanatic about Constitutional rights and the concept of limiting the power of the federal government.