Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CWP Concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 913 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Default CWP Concerns

I might just be getting paranoid about this, but I feel like CWP's are going to end up being a very bad thing? A CWP is essentially getting special permission from the government to exercise your constitutional right. Laws seem to be getting more and more restrictive in terms of carrying a firearm for those that don't have a CWP, at least in my state. I can easily see it getting to the point that you will have to have a CWP to transport a weapon period whether it is concealed or not. And many gun owners would be fine with that because they have their CWP. I don't like the thought of having to have a permit, that can be revoked or denied, in order to exercise ones guarantied right. I feel like the government should have to give a reason to deny people the right to carry a concealed weapon, like for being a felon, rather than require every citizen to get special permission to carry. CWP's just seem like a path to eventually loosing more gun rights.

So am I just being paranoid about CWP's eventually being a bad thing despite the short term benefit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For what its worth I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I've considered that myself , with the way many Americans blindly trust the Govt enough to give up their god given rights under the idea that its safer for everyone. Just one more thing that tells them your an armed citizen. If you get pulled over at least in VA and your tags are run , it comes back whether your a ccw holder or not. Personally I think if your an AMERICAN CITIZEN at least 18yo you should be able to buy,carry,own wherever , whenever and whatever you want.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yea if you get pulled over in nc they know b4 they even come to your vehicle. I agree that if you are not a criminal (felon) and over 21 you should be able to carry without a permit. Reason I say over 21 is because of maturity.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

On the criminal aspect, I'd have to specify "violent" felons. In some states it's a felony if you miss a child support payment or miss paying a ticket.

While I consider that to be irresponsible, I don't think I'd consider it inherently dangerous.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow didn't know that. That's a little bit over board I think. Yes violent felon.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

When you get right down to it, a law against a felon owning/carrying a weapon is a useless law, anyway. He's a felon because he broke the law. Why would he be afraid to break one about owning/carrying a firearm? No one will know until he uses it so the law against it didn't accomplish anything. So what if he gets an extra year or two tacked on to his conviction for manslaughter, etc.?

That's how big brother has systematically taken our 2nd amendment rights away from us. They make these laws & since we are not affected, we remain silent. When the first weapon ban of automatic weapons was proposed, all pro-2nd amendment supporters should have stood up & said no, even though they didn't personally own & desire to own an automatic weapon. The same should have happened with every gun restriction law ever introduced.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #7

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yes and no. Cons are caught every day during routine traffic stops with illegal fire arms and sent back to jail.

That law doesn't stop them from obtaining a gun, but they do get discovered quite often.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 913 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Ok, I don't feel as paranoid now.

I've had friends with CWP's tell me that after being pulled for traffic stops and informing the officer they had a concealed weapon, their cars were searched. I don't know if those were isolated incidents or if its standard practice, but that is clearly and infringement on the 4th amendment. I just can't see how being honest and informing an officer that you are legal carrying a weapon automatically waives your 4th amendment rights. That also got me to wondering if you waive any other rights by getting a CWP? I can see officers legally justifying all sorts of things because they have to assume you're armed if you have a CWP. Sort of like all the rights you voluntarily give up by walking into an airport.

I'm not anti law enforcement, but I am against the people that keep creating laws that are constantly taking away guaranteed rights. I'm also against laws that result in us "voluntarily" giving up more rights even if we don't know we are. CWP's just seem like a path to voluntarily giving up even more rights, and will eventually result in giving up more 2nd amendment rights.

I was wondering about all that because a buddy wants me to go with him and get our CWP's. I really don't have any desire to carry a concealed weapon. It would be nice to be able to carry just in case, but I really don't worry that much about criminals. Actually I worry more about the government screwing up my life than criminals. A criminal can't put me on a sex crimes list and ruin my life for peeing off the side of my boat, but the government could. That hasn't happened but I do worry about it every time I have to go while on the lake surrounded by houses, and with no where on the bank to go. That would be indecent exposure and that's all it takes to go on the pervert list. It just seems like no matter what I do I have to start looking up laws to see what is an isn't legal. Criminals haven't been near as much a problem for me as government, and I've always lived in bad neighborhoods.

I just don't know if getting a CWP is worth it, and I'm not sure if getting one is a good thing?

Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 72

TLuker... you may a real good point, more and more the govt is becoming more oppressive and restrictive. I am more afraid these days of what the govt is doing than I ever was at what a bad guy might do.

My readings of history convinces me that most bad government results from to much government.....Thomas Jefferson
Being Ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn............Benjamin Franklin
If Barack Obama is the answer, the how damn stupid was the question.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #10

Liked 1768 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 1794

I think 18 should be the limit as long as that is the voting age and the age you can serve in the military why shouldn't they be allowed to carry?