Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Curtis Reeves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just in case CNN get's it wrong...

The victim threw salted popcorn, not assault popcorn .

Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #32

Here's another case where a lawman was provoked into shooting someone . I read stories on this case in which it was reported that Stowers was drunk . For shooting a drunken sailor who attacked him, the off-duty U.S. Marshal got a long prison sentence .
http://diodon349.com/Vets_stuff/sailor_shot_dead_after_fistfight.htm

http://narcosphere.narconews.com/notebook/bill-conroy/2005/04/is-us-marshal-guilty-murder-or-being-black

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/13/AR2005091300915.html

Old 01-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

If Stowers was shot in the back, how is it self-defense?
And if Stowers was just mouthing off, why did the cop get out of his car? To throw his weight around? And did LLoyd shoot in anger, or because he was embarrassed about Stowers standing up to an almighty marshall? Why did he think his family was in danger? And why did Stowers throw a tantrum over a minor incident?
A lot of opportunities for both to stand down, but another case where pride on the part of both resulted in tragedy for all.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM   #34

AIKIJUTSU :
There may be a slight misunderstanding here . I didn't mean to imply that Lloyd was innocent, that it was self-defense . I simply thought it worthwhile to note another case where a victim apparently provoked someone trained and experienced in law enforcement into shooting him .

It is easy to judge the actions of Reeves and Lloyd in the the cool detachment of our homes and a stack of law books . It is not so easy to say what we'd do if someone broke bones in our hands or mouthed off and threw an unknown object in our faces . If there's a big lesson here, it is that you must shoot out of " fear for life and limb " and not out of anger .

Another lesson would be not to incite another man to violence because he just might use deadly force .

Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Rentacop
I was not finding fault, I was just trying to point out that both people in that event overreacted to an otherwise minor event. Their mutual obsession with being the one who came out on top resulted in a tragedy.

Much like the Curtis Reeves thing.
You presented a good example.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #36

The surveillace video is on YouTube now and the defense claims that the guy threw his cell phone at Reeves first, then grabbed Reeve's popcorn and threw it in his face . A far cry from CNN's false reporting of a man shot for texting .

Newest Threads