Cpx-2 sccy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Cpx-2 sccy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Cpx-2 sccy?

I bought 1 on GB last night, price seemed right, less than $250. You tube has mixed reviews, what do you guys say about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We had a guy in our IDPA club try to use one. THe safety kept engaging itself after a few shots. I wouldnt carry it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've known 4-5 people that had one - all of them ditched it quickly due to mechanical problems...

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's kind of an "almost" gun... as in "almost" good. The internals aren't bad for such an inexpensive gun... It's the externals where most of the problems have been. You're lucky that you have a CPX-2 because it doesn't have that very-problematic safety that the CPX-1 is plagued with. The other major bugaboo with the gun's basic design is the placement and too-big size of the mag release (which causes inadvertant magazine falling-out). Concerning that problem, a lot depends on your hand-size. If you have smaller hands maybe you'll be lucky and won't hit the mag-release button on about half of your shots. If so, great. If not, grinding that plastic mag-release button down so it's almost flush will help... maybe even cure... that problem.
The gun is almost good... It's a nice size, weight, capacity, caliber weapon... (9mm 10+1)... and the price is certainly attractive. If the company can just keep tweaking it til' it's highly reliable for everyone out-of-box, they'll have something noteworthy. I hope it happens. They're customer service is pretty good. They send replacement parts out at no cost with a phone call. But still, they've got a lot of ground to make up on the reliability front. Of course, some people have had no problems because the size and shape of their hand matches the gun well. It's kinda like that...

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default cpx-2

Thank you Alchemist, very good info, sums up what i've been putting together the last 18hrs since purchasing it. I remember the Skyy name now, saw the guns for sale next to the Jennings, Bryco,. All of 'em not my favorite, but, I like reliable guns so maybe I'll be able to do something with this 2nd version and keep it for around the farm/home or even a nice present if functions safely. I always like getting a gun for a present, even if inexpensive. You tube what sold me on making the final bid to buy. I think this gun is one of those worth $150.00, give or take $10. I have my Beretta 92FS, going on 20years now. Plus my nice 1911's, Springfield, Colt: so typically I prefer a more expensive pistol that will last and become my sons' and grandsons.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

I have one and after 200 rounds I have the following issues. Round will not eject every time, miss loads, miss fire and the front stay pin starts to work itself out of the gun. I have contacted SCCY and they have a 100% warranty. They will have the gun next week for repairs and I will see what they find. This CPX has not made it to my CCH list of guns. I will stick to the Springfield 45. I will re post what SCCY finds, however I hate to run ammo though it to see if all the issues are corrected with the price of ammo these days.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Still...

9MM is still the best calibre for practice because it is cheap...

I had a CPX1. Paid 300, sold 4 months later for 150. CPX2 should be a decent carry piece if you can find a round that cycles well.
My first gen not only had safety problems previously described, but would also stove-pipe every third round.
(They tell you not to use +P, but I wonder if it wouldn't have worked better.)
The guide rod for the recoil spring seemed to get chewed up pretty good, too. Spring too close??

I now have a Witness polymer compact 9 on the way. Will be interesting finding out how much better it will be...

Old 01-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

SCCY CPX1 update. I sent my CPX1 into SCCY and they contacted me once they received it and once they found the issue causing the failures I was having. SCCY found a cracked which caused the internal components not to function correctly. SCCY is replacing the whole pistol with the option of getting the CPX2, without the external safety. I was informed that they made more improvements to the CPX2 and I should not have any further issues. I should have the pistol shortly and have a few boxes of 9mm to test it out. I will update this thread with my findings.
So far I give the CPX1 2 thumbs down. SCCY customer services and techs 2 thumbs up. CPX2 review pending.