Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Couples carrying together

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Default Couples carrying together

My wife and I both have our ccp, and today was the first day we carried together at the same time. She carried s S&W body guard, and I carried my shield .40. She thought it was overkill, but I figured you can't be to careful. Anyone else have a similar experience? She hasn't been carrying for long, so I figured what s better way to start then with me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1124 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Al, that is absolutely NOT overkill. If you subscribe to the axiom "two is one, one is none" when it comes to how many guns someone should carry, you are basically guaranteeing that one of you will have a working weapon should something go wrong. Also, there are times that you are separated even when together (she pays the cashier, you pump the gas) that something could happen and each of you is alone with only what's on their body to defend themselves. As she gets more comfortable with carry she will probably not find it as strange, just give it time.

Oh, another thing you might tell her: Usually a criminal will first focus his attention on the person in a group he perceives to be the most dangerous. This gives the "weaker" member a chance to draw and defend both of you. Also helps if they disarm you but are not thorough in their search of your wife. All sorts of reasons and scenarios why both people should be armed.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-06-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

There is nothing wrong with that if you get in a bad situation all the better. Now there's two trained people there with a fire arm not just one . I have friends who carry and even if there's several of us out together we still all carry.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #4

Better question. How did you get your wife into guns, I can't get mine to even shoot one. Credit to you

Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Overkill? I would LOVE to carry my old SAW. Not because I think I'll be going into combat, but because it comforts me. Like security blanket.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Awesome, Congrats! My wife and I only carry at the same time together occasionaly. She's more of the occasional carry though. I figure I won't push it to much though and let her go at her own pace as far as far as how much she carries. Cool for you though.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1124 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by natevh87 View Post
Better question. How did you get your wife into guns, I can't get mine to even shoot one. Credit to you
First, find out what she doesn't like about it. Most non-shooters have incorrect preconceived ideas based on Hollywood and the media. If it's a complaint that is untrue and you can prove wrong, ask her to go with you to the range. Also tell her that this is a SPORT you really enjoy and would like to share it with her. It sounds sappy to us guys, but if your wife feels like you want to include her in one of your activities, you can usually get her to try it at least once. In really rough negotiations, tell her that if she goes with you once, you'll take her out to dinner anywhere she wants to go that same night. Realize that you may have to shower and wear a suit - decide if it's worth it.

And for anyone that has to be told: Do NOT give her the .500 Mag to fire because you think punishing her with recoil is funny - save the idiocy for your friends. Have her fire a .22 LR rifle so her first experience is a pleasant one. With a pleasant outing, she may well ask to go out the next time.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 256

When my wife first got her CCW she would leave her gun at the house when we were together, I would ask her where Lulu was and she would say you have your gun so I don't need mine. So I started telling her to take her gun and I would leave mine at the house so she would, then she busted me one night as she put her arm around me she felt my carry gun and said "I thought you were leaving it at the house". I told her that she knew me good enough to know that I never leave it at home EVER. Then the light came on and now she carries everywhere every day. At a family dinner a few weeks ago we had 7 armed out of 8 people at the table...I think we are ready.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

jjfuller1 Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

We just hot my wife her carry permit about 2 months ago and ever since she has carried a gun everywhere she goes. It doesn't matter if she is with me or not. I started her out on guns when we first started dating. Our 3rd date was loading up the shotty's and going bird hunting. It was the first time she had ever fired a gun in her life, and the first time I ever saw someone kill a bird with their eyes closed. There was a dove in the top of a tree and I told her just to put the dot on it and pull the trigger. Well when she went to pull the trigger she turned her head to the side and closed her eyes, AND STILL HIT THE FREAKIN BIRD!!!I couldn't freakin believe it. But ever since then she has jumped right in and loves guns.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
A gun beside my bed I keep.
If I awake to find you inside,
A coroner van will be your last ride.

Garadex Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Liked 181 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My wife and I carry together. Seems like a normal thing to do pants go on followed by your CC pistol then shoe's. I have allways have had firearms around from about 13 years of age and our first date allmost 37 years ago was a trip to the range. Family gatherings now have both our girls CC'n and there hubby's CC'n .