You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Could You Pull The Trigger ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 37

It is a life changing experience to be in the position of deciding whether or not to "pull the trigger". I held a loaded 45 on a person who challenged me and I could have pulled the trigger and ended the threat, as it was a military situation. I would have been OK legally. Fortunately I didn't have to and we all lived through it, but it was scary and quick.

We all think we know what we would do under circumstances we think might happen. Trouble is the threats most often come from people who are not rational (on drugs, alcohol, or just plain nuts), and too often force (deadly) is the only way of stopping them. Reality is that shooting at an enemy soldier several hundred yards away is totally different than facing a human threat inside of 100 inches. Not different to the bodies and bullets, but to the survivors.

My only hope is that if the time comes for me to decide that I'm quicker and better than he is. That's why we practice (or should practice).
People Like This 
Old 03-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #72

Liked 388 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Shoot to stop a threat.
Never in revenge.
People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
As a LEO, how do you feel about that statement?
It sucks and shows where the country is heading.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
People Like This 
Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM   #74

Liked 620 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did it before, at people I really didn't have anything against, (at first). To protect myself and my loved ones? In a word, yes.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #75
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
What many people forget is that laws are a deterrent to crime, not a protection from crime. Therefore, those that uphold the law should also be viewed as deterrents, not protection.
That is incorrect . The law is not there in order to deter anyone from anything. If a law deters that is just a bonus.

The purpose of law is to be a vehicle, we as a society use to provide agreed upon punishment that can be meted to some one who violates a societal norm. It also defines actions that violate what we agree upon through legislation as being a detriment.

Police patroling cities and highways are a deterrent, law abiding citizens carrying firearms are a deterrent, the law itself is not a deterrent.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #76

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2368 Times on 1313 Posts
Likes Given: 6794

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the law itself is not a deterrent.

I think this is right. I think that the possible chance of punishment for many people IS THE DETERRENT.

I would likely be running over the speed limit if there were no punishment.

There are other things, however, that I will not do... Law, Punishment or not.
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 PM   #77
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I think this is right. I think that the possible chance of punishment for many people IS THE DETERRENT.
I would likely be running over the speed limit if there were no punishment.
There are other things, however, that I will not do... Law, Punishment or not.
I agree. However, the "many people" of whom you speak are the law abiding. Criminals don't think that way.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh
People Like This 
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #78

Liked 75 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Working a few years in State prisons taught me one thing. Criminals don't fear laws, LEO's, the courts nor do they fear prison. The one thing they do fear is armed law abiding citizens. They understand that citizens are not there to arrest them. We are there to protect ourselves and our families.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #79

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoLonzo View Post
Working a few years in State prisons taught me one thing. Criminals don't fear laws, LEO's, the courts nor do they fear prison. The one thing they do fear is armed law abiding citizens. They understand that citizens are not there to arrest them. We are there to protect ourselves and our families.
And those are just the ones who got caught.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #80
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Sadly, like a few others here, I have had to operate weapons on defense of my country. You always have the question in your head if you did the right thing afterwards. Some people deal with it by becoming drunks or junkies, others to to "Support Groups" and still can't talk about it. I really feel for you folks in LE, because you have to deal with the same stuff military personnel have to with this, even if the creator of the situation is different, the outcome is the same. You feel sad or depressed, because no one wants to waste anyone, and you have to live with it until you draw your last breath...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This