Could You Pull The Trigger ? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Could You Pull The Trigger ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 04:12 AM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2283 Times on 1276 Posts
Likes Given: 6670

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
You always have the question in your head if you did the right thing afterwards.
As a member of this forum that has not been a member of the armed forces, I can tell you that there is many of us that know you did the right thing. I admire and thank each of you that has served our country. Regardless of our Commander in Cheif, and regardless of the missions, you have been called upon to server in a way that most of us will never know, but always are appreciative.

You did the right think, and I thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
Trying to scare an assailant is a real bad idea
I was not prepared to shoot a person one night. While he was wailing on my brother, I exited the car and shot into the ditch. The assailant left immediately. His proximity to my brother and the manner of the assault drove me to the immediate decision to attempt to 'scare the assailant.

We both went to the police station immediately after the incident.
My brother said, "I'd like to report an assaultK
I said, that I would like to report discharging a firearm in the city limits.

It all ended well.
People Like This 
Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2731 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
As a member of this forum that has not been a member of the armed forces, I can tell you that there is many of us that know you did the right thing. I admire and thank each of you that has served our country. Regardless of our Commander in Cheif, and regardless of the missions, you have been called upon to server in a way that most of us will never know, but always are appreciative.

You did the right think, and I thank you.

I was not prepared to shoot a person one night. While he was wailing on my brother, I exited the car and shot into the ditch. The assailant left immediately. His proximity to my brother and the manner of the assault drove me to the immediate decision to attempt to 'scare the assailant.

We both went to the police station immediately after the incident.
My brother said, "I'd like to report an assaultK
I said, that I would like to report discharging a firearm in the city limits.

It all ended well.
Your example shows why you MUST NOT get hung up on the 'always or never' mind set when it comes to survival!
And your are welcome. I am glad to see so many of the 'young' folks stepped up and took the oath and served admirably when the need arose!!!

Last edited by JimRau; 05-11-2014 at 04:16 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
Trying to scare an assailant is a real bad idea to be used only if you are out of options. A BB gun pointed at me would scare me enough to back out, but I'm a reasonable person. Too often an assailant is not a reasonable person or is drunk, high, or just plain nuts. That, unfortunately, is when force is needed to stop them. I would never expect an assailant to react rationally, but they might.
The 'use of force' continuum starts with the mere 'presents' of force and ends with the use of 'deadly force'. You MUST be fixable enough to react reasonably and logically to VERY dynamic set of circumstances if you want to prevail! There are 'guide lines' but you must not get to hunk up on them.
Warning and wounding are not generally advised, still must remain in your 'tool box'!
Improvise, adapt, and overcome!!!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 AM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3796 Times on 2320 Posts
Likes Given: 21008

While I have never been in a position where I had to pull the trigger, I have been in a position of having to cover someone with a weapon on a couple of occasions. One of which was an attempted break in t friend's shop while we were there after hours. The goblin got one of the windows ope in the office (we heard him from the other end of the shop), so I greeted him when he stuck his head in to look around. He saw the muzzle of my GP100, and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and departed. Rapidly.

There have been a couple of times over the last 5 years or so that some of the dope heads have cut through our back yard or the neighbors yard, and either cased the property or tried to break in. The most memorable was late summer, 4 years ago. i head the sound of glass breaking at the neighbors place, so I walked out on my porch and saw someone standing by his garage, trying to pry open the back door. )Dumb azz couldn't tell that it opened to the inside, and they had parked the 1940 Ford against the door ) As I had been practicing with the bow that afternoon, and it was the closest thing at hand, I took it and the arrows with the broadheads down with me. Imagine his surprise when, after almost 5 minute of trying to pull open the door, he felt the tip of the arrow at full draw against the back of his neck. I asked him what he was doing there, and he couldn't answer. Then I smelled it. Long story short, he ran home when I told him to so he could clean himself up. I found out who he was from a friend in said trailer park, and passed the information on to the neighbor. His reply: "He won't be back."

there have only been 2 nightime visitors since, and none over the last 2 years.

In any one of the times I have had to respond to a threat armed, I have never had to pull the trigger. that does not mean that I couldn't if I needed to. Part of the way my father trained me was to have me run between 50 and 200 yards flat out, and stop at the line. At a 3 to 10 yard distance (keep in mind that this was when we owned close to half of the land on our road in NC) he would have set up either a 2 colored balloon set, or a "hostage" target, which I would then engage. Sometimes he would set up the firearm use with a malfunction that I would have to clear first (Timed) or from time to time he would set up a moving target using a rail set up off 2X4s to simulate non-compliance to stop commands.

Several scenarios were set up over the 8 years we lived there. he did a modified version of the same training with my mother as well. His reasoning, He was an active duty Marine at the time, and as such orders could take him away at a moments notice for anywhere from a day to permanently. this was a daily fact of life for us, so he made sure that if it came down to it we could act if we had to. In his own words, you learn to live with what comes after something like that after it happens. That is what your family and faith is for.

Something very similar was also said to me when I first started CCing by my grandfather. He spent 20+ years in the NYSP. I never asked he if he ever had to take a life. I never had to. R.I.P. Poppa Bear. You've earned it.
If I have to explain why I ride, you wouldn't understand. Explaining sex to an alien would be easier than explaining the feeling, one that boils all that is going on in your life down to what really matters each time you are in The Wind. All I can say is, Life is not Life without it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #95
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 2292 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Could You Pull The Trigger ?

While I saw Quite a bit during my 11 years and 8+ months, nothing I saw or did compares to what our elders dealt with in 2 World Wars, Korea, Or Vietnam. And Nothing compares to what Anyone saw or is still seeing in the current conflicts. We of the Older Generations can only console so much..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 AM   #96

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I am an odd creature I am not sure if I would pull the trigger to save my own life. I have been in situations where I had a gun and could have legally used it but I did not. I got in a brawl with a motorcycle club. I got my ear bit off, broke my arm and my hand. I had both a gun and a knife but I didn't use either one of them. I might have used a gun if they had ever got me off my feet or presented a weapon.

Now if you threaten someone I love, damn the law, I will blow your brains out in a heartbeat. I have come closer to using a gun in defense of my dog than I ever have in defense of myself. I am nothing but your average redneck. The people and things I love are my treasure.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
While I saw Quite a bit during my 11 years and 8+ months, nothing I saw or did compares to what our elders dealt with in 2 World Wars, Korea, Or Vietnam. And Nothing compares to what Anyone saw or is still seeing in the current conflicts. We of the Older Generations can only console so much..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
I guess I will have to censed the fact I am an 'elder' of the 'older generation'!
But it is our responsibility to try and educated the 'youngens' who are receptive to our attempts.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #98
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I am an odd creature I am not sure if I would pull the trigger to save my own life. I have been in situations where I had a gun and could have legally used it but I did not. I got in a brawl with a motorcycle club. I got my ear bit off, broke my arm and my hand. I had both a gun and a knife but I didn't use either one of them. I might have used a gun if they had ever got me off my feet or presented a weapon.

Now if you threaten someone I love, damn the law, I will blow your brains out in a heartbeat. I have come closer to using a gun in defense of my dog than I ever have in defense of myself. I am nothing but your average redneck. The people and things I love are my treasure.
John,
You have got to love yourself before you can love others. I think you may rethink that if you realize you will NEVER see those you love, nor they you, if you don't save yourself!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #99
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
John,
You have got to love yourself before you can love others. I think you may rethink that if you realize you will NEVER see those you love, nor they you, if you don't save yourself!
i think in terms of self preservation. many times an instinct going back to the very beginning of man. fight or flight.

i realize that dead, i am of no use to my wife or my family. and though i don't fear death, i feel no need to hurry it before God decides to take me from this earth. i still want to be able to take of my loved ones and to be a part of their lives just as they are a part of mine.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #100

Liked 754 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I hope I never have to put if some one threatens myself, my fiance, those I care about but if someone brakes into my house when I am there it will end very badly for them. At that point they have made their choice and I will have made mine.

Last edited by nchunt101; 05-13-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This