Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Could You Pull The Trigger ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/could-you-pull-trigger-102264/)

JW357 01-02-2014 08:12 AM

Could You Pull The Trigger ?

Like him or not, I think this is beautifully put.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8Sb7mOqHg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

WebleyFosbery38 01-02-2014 09:23 AM

Well put, failure to protect self and loved ones would be much tougher to live with for me!

John_Deer 01-02-2014 09:25 AM

I would have no problem pulling the trigger if the situation is as cut and dried as the Yankee Marshall's question. The only issue with his question is life is seldom that cut and dried.

I could have legally shot two people but I didn't. I thank God every day I found a way to avoid taking a life. One of the two I cut him with just the tip of my knife. You would have thought I hung it deep in him and twisted it by the way he screamed and ran off. The other tried to beat me with a timing chain belt. I managed to get a shock absorber to beat some sense into him. In neither case did I consider drawing my pistol. It's not like I wasn't scared for my life. In a brawl things happen so fast you don't always do what you thought you would do.

TekGreg 01-02-2014 09:30 AM

The author of the video creates a very good point that there are people who believe that all life is sacred; I.e. Buddhists won't kill a fly or spider in their home as Buddha created that insect and no one has the right to terminate its life. However, from a more Western Christianity viewpoint, according to the King James Bible, man is evil. He is born into sin a sinful and wicked creature and only becomes different by accepting Christ as their savior and walking a more righteous path. The Bible does not say a Christian cannot defend themself, and has many historical references to evil men being slain. "thou shalt not kill" is not appropriate here, as this was a translation error by King James' scribes. Hebrew has seven words for kill, and the one they should have used is actually "murder," but the scribes were unaware of this difference. Killing for food, killing for sacrifice, accidental death, euthanizing and others were all acceptable under Hebrew law under certain circumstances. The only thing prohibited specifically was what we now codify as murdering another human.

This being said, the question of pulling the trigger all comes from what point of view you have. Buddhists would rather be victims than defend themselves, yet they'll commit ritual suicide for a cause. Most Christians realize that they are allowed to defend themselves from those who would deprive them of life, liberty or family. When one person makes the choice to take a human life for no good reason, they remove themselves from polite society and the protections that affords. Criminal acts that involve wounding, maiming or death place the perpetrator in the column of "Dangerous Felon" and allow any law-abiding individual to stop them from their actions if they endanger life. Prosecutors in more liberal cities have tried to confuse this issue, but I believe morally it is very clear cut. Note that everyone has a different psychological response to a shooting, but the above is simply addressing the morals and that different religions and cultures view the same issue in different ways.

JW357 01-02-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1472556)
I would have no problem pulling the trigger if the situation is as cut and dried as the Yankee Marshall's question. The only issue with his question is life is seldom that cut and dried.

I can't speak for Yankee, but it seems to me the situation where deadly force is accepted is extremely cut and dry: either my or someone in my familys life is will be taken if I do NOT pull the trigger.

Seems to me that its Yankee's opinion that if he honestly believes his or one of his family's life is about to be taken, then he would know it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

eatmydust 01-02-2014 10:34 AM

I believe that I am not only justified in protecting me and mine, but that it is my moral responsibility to defend me and mine, up to and including deadly force.

chloeshooter 01-02-2014 01:03 PM

I don't understand the question really....could I pull the trigger? Hell yes, that's why I have the gun. Better them, than me. Better them, than my family. When it comes to scumbags, I'd even have to say....better them, than my dog :)

I hope I never have to draw a weapon on anyone. I have seen folks on FTF that make me question whether or not they actually live for that day, when they 'get to' shoot a bad guy. I am not one of them. But I have practiced practiced practiced enough that the operation and firing of my firearms is something I can do without thought, ie the muscle memory is there. Would I make the right decision every time? I can't answer that. I don't think anyone can honestly. But I will say this - when I purchased my first handgun, I did so with the understanding that I was empowering myself with life and death capabilities and I do not take the matter lightly. Just like I take driving seriously. If things are at the point where I feel a need unholster, it's serious!

JTJ 01-02-2014 02:38 PM

Excellent post. I like the way he turned the question around. The question really should be "Could you live with yourself if you did not protect your family?". Unfortunately some people will refuse to protect and willingly become the victim. They will blame it on guns not the perpetrator who obviously had a bad upbringing. The gun is an equalizer. It allows the weak to defend themselves from the strong.

therewolf 01-02-2014 02:39 PM

Said it before, I'll say it again.

These BGs have decided to go out of their way to

use violence to harm me.

THEY had options:

---Go to the library and learn a new job skill.

---Volunteer to help the homeless, or help out at a

nursing home.

-----Help a relative move to Indiana.

---Assist a relative in improving their home, or fixing their

car.

---Enter an apprenticeship or vocational school- tons of funding for this is

available.

---There are MILLIONS of other socially redeeming options.

Instead, in their arrogance, ignorance, or false sense of entitlement,

they took it upon themselves to seek out, stalk, and victimize me.

WHY, AGAIN, is it, in that deciding in advance, to defend myself

from these violent hyenas, that I am to be considered a bad person?

BigB 01-02-2014 02:41 PM

When it comes to protecting my wife and kids, absolutely!!!! I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was able to do something and didn't.