Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could you engage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
When I created this thread, the point I was hoping to make is that you have to decide before any threat how you intend to react. Once you've made that tough mental decision - you then train so you will be ready if the worst ever happens...
I agree, you have to develop the mindset if you don't have it already. You can't wait to "just snap" it may be too late. I want to be in as much control as I can when in a confronttion. If I'm "snapping" I'm certainly in control.

Control your emotions or they will control you - chinese adage

Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 AM   #32

Liked 1662 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

I know without a doubt I can and will pull the trigger. Is far as being able to react and aim under pressure...don't laugh. I have been paintballing with a bunch of cops and sheriffs deputies for a couple of years. Paintballs hurt real bad. Especially when it is 90 degrees and you are just wearing a long sleeve t shirt. Talk about an adrenalin rush. Anyone who has done this knows how hard it is to aim while trying not to get shot. These guys I go with are dead serious.

I am not saying it is for everyone. But, hey you get to shoot a cop. It never hurts to have a bunch of friends in law enforcement. If anyone wants to try it out just go to your local PD and ask. I guarantee you they have a bunch of competative paintballers there.

Obviously it's not the same as shooting real bullets. But it is so much more stressful than shooting at paper targets that don't shoot back.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 AM   #33

Outside of physically training , cutting corners, etc in your home, id say the best method of preparing yourself is actually thinking about it and getting in the habit of doing so. Mentally preparing yourself for engaging a target, be it by firearm, knife or fists. Not a day goes by that I dont think about dropping a hammer on a guy at least several times. Hard to determine if its residual ptsd or actual preparedness but id say actually rehearsing various scenarios is a solid step on the path of actually doing it.

Like others have said, engaging a target is something you can easily live with so long as they all fall within your moral framework for correct threat/response. As long as you are correctly justified by your moral framework/state laws you'll have very little issue with the actual act of.

Theres a lot to be said for going through the motions and mental rehearsal. Same can be said for switching roles and putting yourself in the shoes of your target, how would I react if I met myself in the hallway? How would I react to a rear triangle choke?

When in doubt, aggressively advance.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM   #34

Yep the Rottie alerts when anyone gets near, so if the door gets kicked in he'll beat me to them (he's very territorial too) I'm also a "very" light sleeper and the .45 is always close to hand and I always react aggressively to aggressive actions like home invasions.

N.D.

N.D.

"Carefully, and steadfastly, honor your word or be worthless" me

Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #35

Liked 4544 Times on 2196 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You've just walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer from the fridge. You hear a loud crash as your front door is kicked open and 2-3 bad guys enter your home. Are you prepared for this event? Do you have a gun immediately available? Are you mentally prepared to engage the BGs?

Most of us that own pistols train with them. I shoot every week and compete in bowling pin matches and other events. I probably average 300 or so rounds of different calibers downrange a week. I am very proficient with the primary guns I'd be using to defend my home and they're like close friends to me.

The question mark is whether I'm mentally prepared - and the answer is maybe. Only those that have had to face a bad guy really know how they'll react. Will I assess the situation, find cover, engage the targets in the best tactical order? Will I shoot as good and as accurately as I can during competitions? Will I crap my pants?

All I know for sure is I have a loaded gun, that I've practiced with, either on my person or within arms reach at all times in my home. I've thought about this situation a lot, hard not to in today's world, and I believe I could perform as I should - anyway, I hope so...
Will you shoot as good as you do on the range? NO
Will you crap your pant? Maybee, but probably not till it's over
If you want to know how you'll react just think back to the last time you were in a fist fight...Remember...It was probably in High School and some jack ass gave you a choice between defending yourself or running away. In a milisecond you went from perfectly fine, to perfectly sick to your stomach, then the first punch flew and the fight was on. If you stood your ground then you'll stand your ground now.

Tackleberry1

There's no such thing as tough, there is only "Trained" or "Untrained"
Man on Fire

Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #36

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I look at it like hand to hand combat. You can practice kicking, punching, kata, bagwork,etc....,but until you spar hard and get the crap kicked out of you you will never know how you will react to being hit and attacked.

I have sparred numerous people who have practiced for years without ever really being hit. They get the same look beginners do. They freeze instantly and their face does this for a couple of seconds . Then they realize what is going on. It's a mindset you have to get in and stay in. If you freeze when it counts it may be your last rodeo.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #37

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 44

No problem pulling the trigger but am not always within arms reach of a weapon that is intruder ready. I think 250 lbs. of dogs may have the situation taken care of before I do. They usually tell me when someone is within sight or earshot of the house.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I talked at length with a co-worker that recently had to "engage". He mentally prepared for months ahead of time. We ran a "tactical shotgun" course last year in annual training and he embraced the training. When the time came, he was so confident with the shotgun, he exited the car with the 12 ga and took a position of cover. When the BG came out with a revolver pointed at the officers (there were three, one from my agency and two from the city), he did not hesitate. One of the other officers got off an hurried, errant shot from his handgun. The other officer found himself with out cover and scrambled to find some. Our guy fired one round, 12 ga slug center of mass at about 15 feet. Pretty much final.

Prepare mentally and be honest with yourself. If you really cannot do it, don't carry.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #39

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I talked at length with a co-worker that recently had to "engage". He mentally prepared for months ahead of time. We ran a "tactical shotgun" course last year in annual training and he embraced the training. When the time came, he was so confident with the shotgun, he exited the car with the 12 ga and took a position of cover. When the BG came out with a revolver pointed at the officers (there were three, one from my agency and two from the city), he did not hesitate. One of the other officers got off an hurried, errant shot from his handgun. The other officer found himself with out cover and scrambled to find some. Our guy fired one round, 12 ga slug center of mass at about 15 feet. Pretty much final.

Prepare mentally and be honest with yourself. If you really cannot do it, don't carry.
Another thread killed!

Quoted for Absolute Truth.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #40

My Parents think I'm Nutts becuase I have my 20 gauge out with shells on my dresser. Since I'm almost always in my room, and constantly Shooting at dogs and coyotes up here, I can grab 3 shells and be out of the house in under 15 secs.
What My parents don't know, (and might use as a reason to make me keep my 20 gauge in the Gun cabinet) is that one night while I was home alone, A car came up and 2 Big, Burly men start walking up the driveway. I saw a gun (which was a .22, They were hunting Coons) so I grabbed my 20 gauge, Buckshot shell in and 2 more ready to be loaded. (It's a single-shot) When They got within 10 yards of my position, I yelled "FREEZE! DROP THE GUN!!!" ... Besides scaring the living-s*** out of them, That guy litterally threw the gun down as fast as Possible and said "DON'T SHOOT WE JUST CAME TO GET OUR DOGS!" .. anyways, I'm Pretty sure that If someone was to try and break in, I'd know about it. Living in a Rural Area When I hear a car come up the road It wakes me up. Im a VERY LIGHT sleeper. If someone's gonna break in, They better break in my room first.