Could you engage? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could you engage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great answer Canebreak, I live in a shall issue state (Texas) and if you are not a criminal you don't even need a CHL to carry a concealed handgun in your private car. And our castle doctrine is strong, says in your home or car you do not have to retreat, and anyone entering unlawfuly is assumed to mean you harm (no need to even prove they are armed) and you are exempt from civil suit (that part I don't believe). And last but most important, never, NEVER talk to the police without an attorney present. Both myself and my wife have CHL's and carry, I have already felt the pain many times of ending a human life and it IS something you CAN live with.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
It's a tough question, I've done my best to prepare myself both physically and mentally, but I won't know how I'll react until it happens.

I've taken all the necessary precautions (good locks, dog, etc.) and started training seriously in the past year. So at least I know I'm trying my best to be prepared.
Same here. I plan on taking some classes this year.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #23

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have two paranoid dogs that let me know if they hear ANYTHING outside. Seriously, they even go crazy when any of my neighbors get home. Other than that, I always have my LCR in my pocket or in a holster when I'm at home. I'd like to think that in the situation of home intruders I'd have no problem dropping whoever I had to. I'd just have to actually be in the situation to know for sure though. I train in mma and have had a few fights along with countless hours of sparring. So I know I have no problem "pulling the trigger" so to speak when it comes to fighting. I'd like to think it would be the same way if my life was in danger...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Does a bear sh!t in the woods? They would have a tough time getting past our killer poodle first, but if they did, It's on!!

Twilight Training tactics takes place a couple a nights a month, consisting of two pistils / laser sights, darkness, various areas of the house, point, sight and shoot night recon games, with the wife. Sounds fun huh?

Jack
Sounds awesome. Me and mine need that kinda practice in our house.

As for the initial question I am with CA357 on this one.
Yes, I could easily engage and I am not the type to be swayed.
Although I could be caught at a bad moment.
I am usually on "condition yellow."

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #25

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I think about this kinda thing very often and the first thing that would run though my mind when i looked around the corner is do i really wana ruin my carpet, the second is squeeze not pull, but on a series note, thinking about these kinda things does help your mental state, going play by play on how you would react and conduct yourself.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I live in a rural area east of Houston and can't remember the last time I saw a Sheriff in our area. I am and my neighbors are ready to defend our homes and families ourselves. We have 26 homes in our dead end neighborhood, we all know each other and all of us are armed. I really pity the poor fools that decide to rob or harm folks in our neighborhood.

Gun safes, locks, fences, lights and other security items don't compare to well informed, armed and committed neighbors. We know each other by name, when we travel, we keep the others posted and we exchange phone numbers.

Once, I was driving home and saw people loading things into a strange truck from a neighbors house. I stopped, backed up, demanded ID and an explanation of what the H!ll they were doing there. That's how we do things here.

When we were whacked by a hurricane, my lady and I were the only ones left at home. The others bugged out. We had their numbers, knew where they were and several we times turned away people who didn't belong there with openly carried weapons. When the families returned, one of my neighbors woke me, (no electricity or A/C...windows open) told me of strange vehicles in the area, and asked me to cover it.

That's how it is here. 26 homes are ready, willing and able to do what is necessary to take care of our homes and families. There is NO security system better than that!

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-20-2010 at 02:25 AM.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #27

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Somethng would have to snap in me to shoot.I have always avoided fights and confrontations my whole life,but when I was 16,my dad started to beat on me and I snapped all the sudden,and by the time it was over,he was on the ground and didn't get up for 20 minutes.I think if someone ever broke in my home with my wife and child here,I would snap and probably would have an empty magazine by the time it's all over.But If I saw someone outside tresspassing at night though,I would be a chicken and not confront them,I would hold my gun and call the police and keep an eye and ear out for the guy to try to break in.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #28

I have the extreme disadvantage of living on the bottom floor in an apartment building. Lots of entry points. Fortunately I have an alarm system which is loud as hell and I always arm it at night. I've triggered it by accident when walking out onto my patio in the morning to have a smoke. Hell of a wake up call.

I know a couple of my neighbors and usually let one of them know when I am out of town. We also have a police officer living in the neighborhood and he's usually pretty responsive and on scene as fast as possible if he's in the area.

My pistol is always with me, loaded, safety off, and ready to go. I tend to wake up to strange noises, even if it's just my drunk upstairs neighbor stumbling around in the bushes outside. I've called the police several times when I have seen or heard strange activity in the neighborhood. One couple was having a loud, violent fight and I called the police and they showed up within 10 minutes to break it up and take both of them to jail.

As far engaging... I am 100% certain I would engage and take appropriate action depending on the situation. I would make sure that the intruder was either armed or was showing intention to harm me before my firearm would be involved.

Some intruders are high as kites and sometimes you can just talk them down or scare the hell out of them. It's happened to me before. Some random guy walked into my kitchen when I was living in Sweden and he was rummaging around. I stalked up the hallway and assessed the situation quickly, then yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" and he jumped a foot up in the air and bolted out the front door. I was wheezing with laughter because I probably scared the poor bastard half to death.

If they broke in through one of my bedroom windows (about 5 feet from my bed) I am unsure of what would happen. I might fire first out of the sheer shock of it and ask questions later, potentially landing me in a lot of trouble.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #29

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

When I created this thread, the point I was hoping to make is that you have to decide before any threat how you intend to react. Once you've made that tough mental decision - you then train so you will be ready if the worst ever happens...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
When I created this thread, the point I was hoping to make is that you have to decide before any threat how you intend to react. Once you've made that tough mental decision - you then train so you will be ready if the worst ever happens...
Then I am as ready as I ever will be to end another human being's life. I don't think any amount of training can prepare me for that final moment when the hammer falls on the firing pin. Everything that happens up until then I am ready for and I am actively training for it. The only thing I do not train currently is any type of martial arts although I do have several years of Kung-Fu under my belt.

I will engage. And somebody will rue that day.

Edit: Included response to hypothetical scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB
You've just walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer from the fridge. You hear a loud crash as your front door is kicked open and 2-3 bad guys enter your home. Are you prepared for this event? Do you have a gun immediately available? Are you mentally prepared to engage the BGs?
My pistol is always with me. My kitchen area is immediately to the left when you enter my apartment, so chances are that I have a few precious seconds before the bad guys see me. This gives me a chance to assess the situation and determine if they are armed. If they are armed, they are going down. The tall kitchen counter will obstruct their view of me if they return fire. If I happen to react fast enough the first bad guy may be down before anybody else has had a chance to enter. That should serve as a deterrent to the others, if not, I will be there waiting for them.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 03-23-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Included response to hypothetical scenario.