Could you engage? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could you engage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I sincerely believe I could do it.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #12

I haven't read the other replies, because I am certain of this. I don't want to, but I would certainly punch a hole in someone if I thought I should, to keep my wife and two kids safe. I consider it little different than shooting a squirrel who is chewing a hole in my bird feeder. I would rather not, but they are causing my personal space and loved ones potential trauma. The fact that they are threatening my family is of more concern than if they were threatening myself. I love all life. If any person threaten my loved ones, I will reluctantly end theirs. I will probably weep afterwards. I will know I did the right thing.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I firmly believe I could. Disclaimer: I can't carry yet, will be getting my CCW in October. I also live in a dorm, so no weapons at hand. But eventually, I'll be carrying, and always have my weapon within arm's reach.

On the mental side of things, the brain is an absolutely wonderful construct. When circumstances are truly dire, the adrenaline gets flowing, and you don't even think about it, because you don't have to. I take muay thai, and when some idiot frat boy sucker-punched me at a party last year (Long story, apparently the girl who had started dancing with me was his girlfriend, and he didn't appreciate it), I had elbowed him in the jaw and punched him in the nose before either of us knew what happened. Training just takes over like that, and I know that applying lethal force is a totally different scenario, but the same concept holds. Range shooting, draw drills, etc. Just practice what you're going to need and your brain will know how to use it when the time comes.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
For some reason or another, I keep my ears open to ALL sounds. I know what sounds are supposed to be there and sounds that ARENT. For example, cats meowing/eating or the dogs chewing on bones downstairs. Then there are times where the dogs/cats will make a noise from knocking something over or getting into something. So, I'm always alert. Up until my head hits the pillow and the sun goes down, my mind is focused on the bad guys.

S.S.
Both my wife and I seem to have a sense about sounds that aren't supposed to be going on, the county road is about 100 yards down hill and when drivers slow down or stop one or the other of us wakes up and checks things out. I even keep an eye on how the deer react, if they are spooky or haven't been around I go around my upper property and check for evidence of unwelcome visitors,mostly of the two legged type but cougar signs as well. The deer pretty much know us and will not move away unless I get too close so as far as I'm concerned they are sort of like watch dogs. We look out for our neighbors and they look out for us. I've killed and cut up deer and elk so the blood and bone splatter aspect of having to shoot a BG should not be a problem in consideration that the wild animals were not bad guys.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #15

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
You've just walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer from the fridge. You hear a loud crash as your front door is kicked open and 2-3 bad guys enter your home. Are you prepared for this event?
Yes, I leave the door unlocked... Front doors cost money!

Old 01-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The smart man will reply with "I won't know till it happens".

I carry every waking moment, everyday. If I'm sleeping, its between the matress and the head board. I'm I'm showering, its on the counter, if I'm dropping a stink pickle, its in the Hanes hammock.

I have been shooting IDPA for over 2 years, and I do quite well. I reckon that will help me a little if the situation ever arises. I used to get very anxious and nervous before matches, sweaty hands, shaky. But that's been gone for quite some time. I just arrive and perform.

Nothing happens on my block without either of my rat terriers going ballistic. They are my early alert system. Then they would have to get past Molly, my basset. I know what your thinking-- basset? She's meaner than ten drunk indians, if she doesn't know you. And if I'm not home, it doesn't matter if she knows you. She literally cornered two cops in the living room of my old house.

Ill likely be alerted, armed and willing if the event ever presents itself.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #17

Not to sound like a Debbie Downer (or whatever the masculine form would be), but if you're not absolutely 100%, no questions asked, completely committed to dropping the hammer on, and very likely killing, someone that you have concluded means to cause you or someone else death or serious bodily injury, the gun should not come out at all.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 01-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here's the way I see it:

If someone breaks into your home with you home, they either...

1) Know you are home, and are prepared to deal with you.

2) Are too high / stupid / crazy to realize that houses are typically occupied at night, which still makes them dangerous in that they are likely crazy enough to hurt you when you surprise them by opening your bedroom door.

Thus, I'll most likely be shooting first and asking questions later.

I CC and, like Willfully Armed, either have my pistol on me or within a few feet at all times except at school (sucks...) and at work (simply because I don't yet have something small enough to absolutely conceal in dress attire).

Mentally, sometimes I make myself nervous like when I realize I haven't looked around me in a minute or two when Im out playing with my dog or something. But, for the most part, I try my best to stay alert (within human limits), but hope I'll be able to perform.

The closest I've come was one day at work. I was behind the teller line (I work at a bank), and a guy comes in with a motorcycle helmet on, visor down. My first thought was "****, we're gonna get robbed." My second thought was "I hope it is one of the quick, painless robberies and not one of the crazy guys who jumps the counter and tries to beat us up." My third thought was "hmm, if he does that, and it turns out he is violent and not just wanting more money, hopefully he will face away from me long enough I could get behind him and drag my knife across his throat. I hope I don't fumble with my knife." at that point, the guy removed his helmet, revealing himself to be a regular customer who had just got his bike out for the first time for spring. That whole thought process occurred in maybe two or three seconds, and I was both amazed and proud of myself at the direction it took.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer (or whatever the masculine form would be), but if you're not absolutely 100%, no questions asked, completely committed to dropping the hammer on, and very likely killing, someone that you have concluded means to cause you or someone else death or serious bodily injury, the gun should not come out at all.
Quoted for Truth!!

JD

Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #20

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

From my "Read this before you decide to carry" article in the Knowledge Base;

Use your head (your most powerful weapon) and only draw and fire your weapon to save you or someone’s life. This is the only righteous shooting. Anything else will find you in a cage or a box. Long before you put yourself in the ‘shoot’ position, you better have completed all the legal requirements that allow you to be there. In addition you must complete the following personal conditions;

1. Training,
2. Understand and accept the moral obligation that the issuing authority extracts from you when you applied for the CCW license,
3. Training,
4. The moral mettle to take a life,
5. Training,
6. Know and keep up on the laws covering carry in the location you are armed (political boundaries and building restrictions),
7. Training,
8. At a bare minimum have a gun rights lawyer’s phone number on your cell’s speed dial,
9. Training,
10. Retain that lawyer if you can afford it,
11. and did I mention training?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello