Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Could you engage? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/could-you-engage-16840/)

NGIB 08-12-2009 05:34 PM

Could you engage?

You've just walked into the kitchen to get a cold beer from the fridge. You hear a loud crash as your front door is kicked open and 2-3 bad guys enter your home. Are you prepared for this event? Do you have a gun immediately available? Are you mentally prepared to engage the BGs?

Most of us that own pistols train with them. I shoot every week and compete in bowling pin matches and other events. I probably average 300 or so rounds of different calibers downrange a week. I am very proficient with the primary guns I'd be using to defend my home and they're like close friends to me.

The question mark is whether I'm mentally prepared - and the answer is maybe. Only those that have had to face a bad guy really know how they'll react. Will I assess the situation, find cover, engage the targets in the best tactical order? Will I shoot as good and as accurately as I can during competitions? Will I crap my pants?

All I know for sure is I have a loaded gun, that I've practiced with, either on my person or within arms reach at all times in my home. I've thought about this situation a lot, hard not to in today's world, and I believe I could perform as I should - anyway, I hope so...

TelstaR 08-17-2009 03:16 AM

I have thought about it, and I decided to spend the extra money to make it more difficult to bust down the door. I do have my HD weapon nearby and feel confident that I can get to it in the event of badguys busting in. I have never been a passive type person, I believe I would act as I have planned. Dont know for certain and hope I never have to find out.

dunerunner 08-17-2009 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TelstaR (Post 145782)
I have thought about it, and I decided to spend the extra money to make it more difficult to bust down the door. I do have my HD weapon nearby and feel confident that I can get to it in the event of badguys busting in. I have never been a passive type person, I believe I would act as I have planned. Dont know for certain and hope I never have to find out.

He drew the .45 from the IWB holster and released the thumb safety. Peeking around the corner, he could see the two intruders easing their way into his home and he saw a weapon...one of them had a gun.

He stepped into the open and put the armed intruder in his sights and shouted "put the gun down!! Put it down now!!" The intruder turned and began to raise his weapon. The home owners weapon discharged, then discharged again.

The other intruder had turned and was running out the broken front door as his partner in crime crumpled to the floor, his chest erupting in blood.

Yea, I think I've prepared myself with active scenario training enough to assess the situation and take decisive action against multiple intruders.

Franciscomv 08-17-2009 03:53 AM

It's a tough question, I've done my best to prepare myself both physically and mentally, but I won't know how I'll react until it happens.

I've taken all the necessary precautions (good locks, dog, etc.) and started training seriously in the past year. So at least I know I'm trying my best to be prepared.

CA357 08-17-2009 04:47 AM

If you are asking can I shoot someone to protect my wife or myself, I have no doubt that I am able and will.

Would I possibly be disoriented from the initial break in and possibly take some time to react? Maybe. If I was asleep and woken abruptly? Again, maybe. It's hard to be on full alert 24/7. But will I have trouble committing to actually engage? Nope.

I always keep a handgun within grasp or carry one around the house. I have a S&W model 37 that hides out on me most of the time at home. It's small and conceals and carries well. Sometimes my 1911 gets the duty.

WDB 08-17-2009 05:12 AM

You won't know until that time comes. I've had some great training thanks to the USMC and after my local PD. All the same my house and a surprise? I hope I'm ready, I do my best to keep my home the lesser option, motions lights, security system and a couple of good dogs. I know my neighbors and understand the routine in our neighborhood. Something out of place get the attention of several of us. We don't have a "neighborhood watch" but we talk often, do dinners or bbq's often and see each other on a regular basis.

I go back to the basics minimize your threat and then be prepared for the unexpected. Not always a gun at hand in my home but I expect if three bad guys kicked in my door the Lab and the Rot would keep them busy long enough I would be able to get to a gun No matter what room I was in. I am more than capable of putting down anyone that enters my home by force, clearly they aren't here for good intentions.

IGETEVEN 08-17-2009 06:18 AM

Could you engage?

Does a bear sh!t in the woods? They would have a tough time getting past our killer poodle first, but if they did, It's on!!

Twilight Training tactics takes place a couple a nights a month, consisting of two pistils / laser sights, darkness, various areas of the house, point, sight and shoot night recon games, with the wife. Sounds fun huh? :)

Jack

Shotgun Shooter 08-17-2009 06:24 AM

For some reason or another, I keep my ears open to ALL sounds. I know what sounds are supposed to be there and sounds that ARENT. For example, cats meowing/eating or the dogs chewing on bones downstairs. Then there are times where the dogs/cats will make a noise from knocking something over or getting into something. So, I'm always alert. Up until my head hits the pillow and the sun goes down, my mind is focused on the bad guys. ;)

S.S.

Win73 08-21-2009 03:34 AM

Yes, I would have a gun immediately available. As long as I have my pants on, I have one in my pocket, either a .380 or a .38. Also there are three other loaded guns strategically located in various rooms of the house, one 9 mm and two .45's. When I go to bed, the one in my pocket goes into the partially opened drawer of my nightstand, about four inches from my bed.

And I wouldn't hesitate to shoot in a situation like that. It wouldn't bother me one bit to blow away scum like that to protect my family.

Once during my police days, I had to make a decision whether to shoot someone. I didn't. As it turned out, his gun wasn't loaded. But as long as he was holding it, I had to assume it was. When I was about to squeeze the trigger, he dropped it.

docmagnum357 09-26-2009 02:34 AM

Yippee Ki Ay!, it's on! No problem either accessing a weapon(S&W 1911 45 on th computer amoir as i type), no moral trepidations, I am a fudementqal, Bible believing Christian, and see no reason to hold back in this situation. I live in North Carolina, where we are not a true castle doctrine state, but an armed intruder is toast. No need for me to warn, although I guess it would be a good idea. Only question is do I file notches on the grips of a Smith Doug Koenig edition? Hmmm..... I haven't thought that part through yet....