Could I have shot a kid? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #81
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

All fine and well. Just don't come on a national firearms forum and demonstrate either your ignorance of or defiance of the law.

The OP could have easily left out details of being on Corps property, which leaves me to the conclusion that he was unaware of breaking the law, or didn't care, which, in either case, doesn't reflect well on the rest of us.
Quote:

For state parks, yes. For Corps of Engineers property, no.
Totally agreed. I actually missed that at first glance. I would assume that he was unaware. But you know what they say assumption is the mother of all eff ups.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #82

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

For state parks, yes. For Corps of Engineers property, no.
Well then how is it legal to hunt on COE land in Mississippi? Rifle season?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Good question. Of course, we dare not carry concealed on the Natchez Trace.

Quote:
327.13 Explosives, Firearms, Other Weapons and Fireworks.

The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks, is prohibited unless: (1) in the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer; (2) being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under Section 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites; (3) being used at authorized shooting ranges; or (4) written permission has been received from the District Engineer.
http://www.mvk.usace.army.mil/lakes/index.php?p=rules#13 I am not 100% if that is just for Arkabutla lake, but it doesn't seem so. Makes me want to sing "this land ain't your land, this land ain't my land, this land's been taken from you and me..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Land_Is_My_Land

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-18-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #84

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Let me refer you to my post #74, paragraph (2) of the Corps of Engineers Regulations.....

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 07-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Totally agreed. I actually missed that at first glance. I would assume that he was unaware. But you know what they say assumption is the mother of all eff ups.
Ain't that the truth!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #86

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I think it depends on who you ask wether or not your justified to use deadly force against someone trying to stab you. If you ask most people on the legal/activism forums here, they would say no, it would be murder.
If you asked myself, a jury of 12 level headed people after hearing the facts, or took a random poll anywhere else, you would be justified.

I think you handled your particular situation correctly. If he kept advancing I think you would have made the right call to protect yourself and your daughter.. Everything else is 'what if' speculations.

Last edited by JeeperSC; 07-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #87

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:

Let me refer you to my post #74, paragraph (2) of the Corps of Engineers Regulations.....
Tell you what, I just got done cleaning a garage, I'm tired, hot sweaty and irate. Would you just copy and paste for me please? Otherwise, I'll continue to hunt on COE land, and have amiable conversations with the game wardens as I've always done.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #88

Quote:
Tell you what, I just got done cleaning a garage, I'm tired, hot sweaty and irate. Would you just copy and paste for me please? Otherwise, I'll continue to hunt on COE land, and have amiable conversations with the game wardens as I've always done.
OK, here you go, although you could have just scrolled up in less time than it took to type your message....

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

and, yes, you can continue to hunt on Corps of Engineers land and have your amiable conversations with game wardens as you have become accustomed, as long as paragraph (2) is being met.

Last edited by treehugger49; 07-19-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #89
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts

I think as soon as you unholstered your weapon that kid would have stopped dead in his tracks and you wouldn't of had to shoot him. Kinda the " don't bring a knife to a gunfight" type of thing. I would be prepared to shoot anyone that was charging me or a family member with a knife. Just be glad that you didn't have to make that decision. I probably would of called the cops though to let them know that some kid just threatened you with a knife. Who knows who else he's done that to. I teach 13-14 year olds and I won't turn my back to some of them because I don't trust them which is sad. I would also not hesitate to beat the crap out of one of them if they ever pulled a weapon on me or my other students.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #90

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Child or adult boy or girl it was a threat that needed to be neutralized better you save your/your daughters life than an attacker with no regard for anyone's

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"