Could I have shot a kid? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
So...by the reasoning you keep giving, you seem to have two options, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to bash you, but I really want to see if you can come up with something better. I'm also not saying the situation as it happened is a better option, let's not even consider it.

Let's say your confronted with the same situation, except you don't confront the teens. If you have a child (I assume you do, correct me if you don't), then you know that what you want or hope your kid to/will do, (ignore the situation) isn't always what they really WILL do.

You say, to paraphrase, ignore the language, hope your kid does the same, and use it as a teaching experience.

OR you say, to paraphrase, leave the area.

Okay. Neither of those options are acceptable to me, and here's why:

I WILL NOT allow my kid to be exposed to such behavior. My kid would not be able to ignore it, and using it as a teaching opportunity is a great and noble choice, but it will call the attention of my child specifically to the behavior I want to avoid in him.

Also, allowing socially unacceptable behavior to RUN YOU OUT of a public place is not acceptable. No, I don't own it, mountaineer didn't own it, you don't own it, but NEITHER DO THEY. And for you, me or anybody to have to leave for not wanting a confrontation with such douche baggery is a spineless, gutless, yellow coward move.

So. Discarding the third option (confronting the douches), I find your options unacceptable. Can you think of any better? It would be nice to avoid confrontation, and avoid the initial problem to begin with, so I would like to know of a better option than confrontation, exposing my kid to such crap, or leaving an area I have every right to be.

Personally, I like the idea of calling the police and reporting a disturbance of the peace. Whether they do anything about it, who knows? It's a step in the right direction I think.

The OP didn't actually have the option, and was trying to leave the area. The other gentleman happened to find "mom" (I'm using that term VERY loosely) on his say to call the cops. The situation was out of his hands at that point, and I think he handled it from there quite well.
Trip...yes I am a parent/husband and we have three beautiful daughters. Our youngest being 7 years old. It is my opinion that when I am solely responsible for my child's safety, I am going to keep her safe. The OP made it clear that he was worried about his daughter as well...do I throw her in the lake, do I jump in with her....etc. I just don't think a little public profanity by some teenagers is worth risking my child's safety. Look how this all turned out for the OP...his swim time with his daughter was still cut short and they were almost assaulted by a guy with a knife. The profanity was directed to the OP in front of his daughter as well. The OP almost had to pull his .40S&W for crying out loud. Why start sh!t? Be the bigger man and steer clear of the punks and enjoy the time with your child. Problem avoided, and I'm swimming with my daughter. If you see that as a spineless, gutless, yellow coward move....well that's your opinion.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Trip...yes I am a parent/husband and we have three beautiful daughters. Our youngest being 7 years old. It is my opinion that when I am solely responsible for my child's safety, I am going to keep her safe. The OP made it clear that he was worried about his daughter as well...do I throw her in the lake, do I jump in with her....etc. I just don't think a little public profanity by some teenagers is worth risking my child's safety. Look how this all turned out for the OP...his swim time with his daughter was still cut short and they were almost assaulted by a guy with a knife. The profanity was directed to the OP in front of his daughter as well. The OP almost had to pull his .40S&W for crying out loud. Why start sh!t? Be the bigger man and steer clear of the punks and enjoy the time with your child. Problem avoided, and I'm swimming with my daughter. If you see that as a spineless, gutless, yellow coward move....well that's your opinion.
this just brings us back to the same point. its a PUBLIC place. the OP and family had just as much right to a peacful day swimming as much as the kids had a right to be swimming. if i was swimming and being loud or annoying to others and i got asked to be quiet. i WOULD... I would NOT get angry and threaten the person who asked me.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #73
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I think this thread is just chasing it's own tail.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #74

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

A point I haven't seen made in this thread is that the OP is in violation of the law by being in possession of his firearm on Corps of Engineers (Federal) property.

As holders of weapons permits it is our obligation to know the law of our states and areas that are off limits to legal carry. From the Corps of Engineers Rules and Regulations:

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.

I'm not saying I'm in agreement with Corps' policy, but the anti-s read these forums, too, and I'd be careful about giving them any more "ammunition."

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 07-18-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #75

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

For one thing, having a fire-able weapon on Federal/State Park Land is punishable just in itself in certain States/Counties, but this is changing everyday with new Carry/Concealment laws. Just be very careful with your State/County Park Laws, and KNOW where it's permissable to carry. As to shooting off a warning shot. HELL NO. Just doing this is a threat of "Higher Magnitude of Deadly Force" and will land you in jail, let alone if bullet ricocheted on a rock and struck some innocent bystander. Even if firing in air, you got to remember that, that bullet will come down somewhere, and you're responsible for it, if it harms or kills an innocent. My State has "Castle Law" AND "Stand Your Ground" laws---so if you draw your weapon, be prepared to use it without remorse. NOW, you also had a recourse in this matter also, in that the Kid had a knife drawn on you with threatening gestures and words. This alone would of given you rights to of calling the Police to have him arrested and convicted with any witness statements, I'm sure who also heard him.
Del

Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #76
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Hey, the way I see it, it's scenarios like this that you conceal carry in the first place. Black/white, young/old...it's for protection of you and your family and others. You handled yourself perfectly, IMHO.

Thanks to the man upstairs that you DIDN'T have to draw your weapon is all I have to say. And if your daughter was any older I'm sure she would understand the reason why you carry concealed; for her protection, and if the shiz hit the fan she would have thanked the man upstairs that you DID do what you had to do.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
vincent Likes This 
Old 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #77

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Treehugger and triumphman, this varies state by state.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Hey, the way I see it, it's scenarios like this that you conceal carry in the first place. Black/white, young/old...it's for protection of you and your family and others. You handled yourself perfectly, IMHO.

Thanks to the man upstairs that you DIDN'T have to draw your weapon is all I have to say. And if your daughter was any older I'm sure she would understand the reason why you carry concealed; for her protection, and if the shiz hit the fan she would have thanked the man upstairs that you DID do what you had to do.
All fine and well. Just don't come on a national firearms forum and demonstrate either your ignorance of or defiance of the law.

The OP could have easily left out details of being on Corps property, which leaves me to the conclusion that he was unaware of breaking the law, or didn't care, which, in either case, doesn't reflect well on the rest of us.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Treehugger and triumphman, this varies state by state.
For state parks, yes. For Corps of Engineers property, no.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #80

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I think this thread is just chasing it's own tail.
I agree-
Could he have shot the kid---sure
Should he have shot the kid----HELL NO!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET