Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I have been trying to convince my anti-pistol sister to get one. I believe concealed carry of one may require a permit (non-car concealed carry) here. It would be nice if the "bean bag" rounds available for shotguns could be downsized for a first shot option in a semiauto pistol. They sell one with a pepper spray-infused projectile, ouch.
That would be great. In my state you need a license just for pepper spray so I explain to women that carrying a knife without training will likely end in you getting stabbed and get them to consider pepper spray. By the time they are done the $15 course I recommend they are all set to get spray but usually end up opting for a gun. Which I prefer because pepper spray doesn't always work. Tasers on the other hand are far more reliable IMO but not Legal here. Stupid state.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #42

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

My two cents is you did the right thing. I wouldn't dwell on should haves would haves and what ifs it will just wear you down. You did what you could in the environment you where in. A parents main duties is to protect their kids from their own misjudgments in life and the evils out in the real world and that is exactly what you did.

I don't know the laws where your at but I'm assuming warning shots are a big no no. Don't know your firearm background and the training you have. MrWay hit on an important part. When that time comes tell the idiot what to do "Drop the_______ or I will shoot you", time permitting that is, in a very loud and commanding voice. That way if someone is in the area and no clue what is going on they will when you yell at them in a commanding voice. More witness in your favor the better.

I've had to draw my side arm a few times. The first for a guy coming at with what I thought was a crow bar when I got rear ended with my son in the car. All I caught him saying was he was going to bash my brains into a pulp. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the business end of my .40 cal XD and he dropped the tire iron on my third command when I yelled at him to "Drop the crow bar or I will shoot you" then he spun around got in his truck and took off. Yes there where others there on the street and in cars who seen all this and some no clue what was going on until I started to tell him what I wanted him to do. The cops where called I told him what I did and he took down some info from me and I was on my way with my

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #43

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I have been trying to convince my anti-pistol sister to get one. I believe concealed carry of one may require a permit (non-car concealed carry) here. It would be nice if the "bean bag" rounds available for shotguns could be downsized for a first shot option in a semiauto pistol. They sell one with a pepper spray-infused projectile, ouch.
I can testify to both using a Taser on someone AND being on the receiving end of one.....they do work :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

I can testify to both using a Taser on someone AND being on the receiving end of one.....they do work :-)
Yeah getting tased sucks a$$. Pepper spray just isn't fun. You're better off with wasp spray.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #45

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Yeah getting tased sucks a$$. Pepper spray just isn't fun. You're better off with wasp spray.
The pepper spray that i used before we got Tasers was "Sabre Red", that stuff is about as strong as you can get without your eyeballs melting,lol

The department didnt buy sabre red, i bought the sabre myself.They issued that mk3 spray and ive been sprayed with that too and it isnt close to the potency of sabre red

Name:  https___www.publicsafetycenter.com_image_sabre-red-10-oc-.54oz-keychain-pepper-spray-1770.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  13.9 KB

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #46
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah 10% will ruin your day.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #47

Liked 3755 Times on 1859 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

OP...I think you did just fine.

Putting punks in there place is what responsible men with testicles do.

If punks choose to escalate a situation, they will learn that actions have consequences.

Glad you did not need to fire. None of us want to shoot anyone but all, well, most of us recognize that if forced to fire it will be due to the BG's aggression and not any desire on our part.

Good Job

Tack

Old 07-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #48

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895

Are you kidding me? This is exactly what I am talking about. You sound like the cussing punk kids with that attitude. Let's flip the scene....you and your teenage friends are swimming in a public place having fun. Teenagers use profanity...it's a fact of life. Then some guy tells you to knock it off. Then some old man gets involved...now the fun is over because mom is making you leave. Well that kid is not going to be a 'floor mat' so he's taking matters into his hands...out comes the knife!

The OP was there with his 6 year old daughter for pete's sake. You call it being a floor mat, I call it using good judgement. If y'all think different....whatever.
Yea ok carpet boy, handle your skimpy lil self like a stand down all you want, but dont act like a broom beat lil punk when we say something you dont like cry baby

Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #49

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry1
op...i think you did just fine.

Putting punks in there place is what responsible men with testicles do.

If punks choose to escalate a situation, they will learn that actions have consequences.

Glad you did not need to fire. None of us want to shoot anyone but all, well, most of us recognize that if forced to fire it will be due to the bg's aggression and not any desire on our part.

Good job

tack
++++++++1,000

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #50

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Yea ok carpet boy, handle your skimpy lil self like a stand down all you want, but dont act like a broom beat lil punk when we say something you dont like cry baby
Really...you hide behind the computer and result to name calling. Unreal. I have stated my opinions and have reasons to back them up. Being a parent of young children, I feel avoiding the situation in this case was in the best interest of the 6 year old daughter. Being a real man with 'testicles' and standing up to teenagers that were really doing nothing but being teenagers in the first place must be a job unfit for me. Being a carpet boy and all. Whatever that is. I am so glad we do not share the same values in life. It separates the stand downs from the armed and dangerous.

Now can we voice our opinions like adults...cause I ain't cryin'

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR