Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
I wonder how many times my dad almost shot me?!
I think you just hit the nail on the head. Where's the father with his belt?
Kids probably caught a beating on the way to the car cause mom was pissed off that she had to earn the paychecks she is receiving for the kids for a couple minutes.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Phelenwolf Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Y'all are missing my point. I support those that choose to carry. But this whole situation could have been avoided. I agree the mother is a bad parent and the kids are punks. But this all started over a little public profanity and in a matter of minutes escalated into a 14 year kid getting a knife. And could have resulted in a fatal shooting in front of a 6 year old. Look at the big picture here folks.
So.... the solution is for an adult to let a child run things??

unfortunately our society has determined that no matter how many people a 14year old stabs that 14year is not responsible and is innocent and cant be punished

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #33

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
So.... the solution is for an adult to let a child run things??
No. Not what I said. This took place at a public access swim area. The OP is not the owner of the property nor is he empowered to enforce the rules of that area. He only has control over himself and his daughter. He had the choice to either leave or ignore them. He chose to try and control the situation and it back fired. The old man getting involved was fuel to the fire. If the mother didn't smack the kid and end it, think of how it would have gone down. The point I am making is that the OP had alternatives that could have avoided this all together. This all started because some teens dropped the f bomb. After the first..."hey knock it off, there are kids here" was ignored...I would have simply left.

Sorry if I continue to repeat myself. Maybe I should take my own advice.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #34

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895

No. Not what I said. This took place at a public access swim area. The OP is not the owner of the property nor is he empowered to enforce the rules of that area. He only has control over himself and his daughter. He had the choice to either leave or ignore them. He chose to try and control the situation and it back fired. The old man getting involved was fuel to the fire. If the mother didn't smack the kid and end it, think of how it would have gone down. The point I am making is that the OP had alternatives that could have avoided this all together. This all started because some teens dropped the f bomb. After the first..."hey knock it off, there are kids here" was ignored...I would have simply left.

Sorry if I continue to repeat myself. Maybe I should take my own advice.
Yes you should take your own advice. You choose to let people use you as a floor mat then more power to ya.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #35

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I think you did well. I would have told them to shut up also. I would have pulled iron too to protect your daughter. If she wasn't there maybe not. Depending on totality of situation i may have just stood there and let him come. Depending on size I may have just disarmed him and beat him with his own knife. It all comes down to your own abilities, training, and skills. I think you did nothing wrong and am glad there were other supporters at the lake. i refuse to live on my knees, especially when challenged by some retarted gang banging adolescent. This is a good lesson for you. Not all bg are crowbar weilding adults. A threat is a threat weather it be a man, woman, or child. Yes it would be hard killing anyone especially a minor, bug at the end of the day im going home. period. Congrats on keeping your cool. Your mind is the ultimate weapon. Everything else is a tool.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #36

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Yes you should take your own advice. You choose to let people use you as a floor mat then more power to ya.
Are you kidding me? This is exactly what I am talking about. You sound like the cussing punk kids with that attitude. Let's flip the scene....you and your teenage friends are swimming in a public place having fun. Teenagers use profanity...it's a fact of life. Then some guy tells you to knock it off. Then some old man gets involved...now the fun is over because mom is making you leave. Well that kid is not going to be a 'floor mat' so he's taking matters into his hands...out comes the knife!

The OP was there with his 6 year old daughter for pete's sake. You call it being a floor mat, I call it using good judgement. If y'all think different....whatever.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895

Are you kidding me? This is exactly what I am talking about. You sound like the cussing punk kids with that attitude. Let's flip the scene....you and your teenage friends are swimming in a public place having fun. Teenagers use profanity...it's a fact of life. Then some guy tells you to knock it off. Then some old man gets involved...now the fun is over because mom is making you leave. Well that kid is not going to be a 'floor mat' so he's taking matters into his hands...out comes the knife!

The OP was there with his 6 year old daughter for pete's sake. You call it being a floor mat, I call it using good judgement. If y'all think different....whatever.
No excuse for the mother to not be there handling the situation to start with. You don't let kids swim unattended. No excuse for that kid pulling a knife. He needs a serious a$$ whooping and a lesson in manners and acceptable behavior. I would not have allowed the mother to leave after the kid pulled a knife on me in public ( temper tantrum or not ) that little sh!t would have been dealing with the police or my boot up his ass. Bottom line is he did not pull his firearm.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If a female adult or a youngster or a smaller male adult brandishes a deadly weapon, they are no longer a child, a woman, or a lil fellar; they are a potentially deadly threat to not only you but likely to others around them.

This would be a great situation for one of those civiliana taser units; tase the kid, snap a picture of his knife whilst he twitches, and ask his mother which prison she is grooming him for while you wait for the police.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
If a female adult or a youngster or a smaller male adult brandishes a deadly weapon, they are no longer a child, a woman, or a lil fellar; they are a potentially deadly threat to not only you but likely to others around them.

This would be a great situation for one of those civiliana taser units; tase the kid, snap a picture of his knife whilst he twitches, and ask his mother which prison she is grooming him for while you wait for the police.
I wish they were Legal in my state. If I had the option of less lethal force without getting into stabbing range I would opt for the taser that would be on my other hip.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I wish they were Legal in my state. If I had the option of less lethal force without getting into stabbing range I would opt for the taser that would be on my other hip.
I have been trying to convince my anti-pistol sister to get one. I believe concealed carry of one may require a permit (non-car concealed carry) here. It would be nice if the "bean bag" rounds available for shotguns could be downsized for a first shot option in a semiauto pistol. They sell one with a pepper spray-infused projectile, ouch.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.