Could I have shot a kid? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Kill a boy in cold blood.

What a joke. A 14 year old with a knife can kill you.
Ya sound like a Travin Martin sympathizer.
I agree that a 14 year old with a knife can kill you. I never said that he could not. I was referring to how his 6 year old daughter would see it. Being witness to an event like that could scar her for life. Calling me a joke and a Travin Martin sympathizer is just as juvenile as those punk kids cussing in public.

The point I was originally trying to make was this sounds like a situation that could have been avoided. Punk kids exist everywhere, and the world is filled with profanity. I would have handled it differently, that's all.

Last edited by dks7895; 07-17-2012 at 02:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

Liked 4516 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

The world would've been a better place if you shot him. Hopefully he runs into someone not as rational minded as you. Good restraint on your part.

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Just another case of the devolution of society.

I think you showed a lot of self restraint, I've been thinking about @ what time I would have drawn my Glock. It would have been when I saw the knife.
If someone comes running @ you from 30' you will have a hard time getting your pistol out in that amount of time. When I carry I don't usually chamber a round. Like you, I think about the stereo type BG. I figured if my life is ever put in danger it would happen at a store or fast food restaurant.
Weird really if you think about it.
1) I probably wouldn't have been carrying at the beach in the first place.
2) if I would have been carrying I would have drawn sooner.
3) if I was carrying, I'd still have to chamber a round.

Were dud all this happen? Near a city? Urban or Rural?
defiantly gives you some things to think about.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

Liked 2567 Times on 1669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207

I think you showed a lot of self restraint, I've been thinking about @ what time I would have drawn my Glock. It would have been when I saw the knife.
If someone comes running @ you from 30' you will have a hard time getting your pistol out in that amount of time. When I carry I don't usually chamber a round. Like you, I think about the stereo type BG. I figured if my life is ever put in danger it would happen at a store or fast food restaurant.

When drawing in a cc situation, time is of the essence. Having to chamber a round in a semi auto after drawing could easily make the difference if you win or lose. Your choice, I know.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #15

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmaster207 View Post

If they are 30 feet away, I could have my 19 out and rounds on target before they got to me. 30 feet is a good piece.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3080 Times on 1544 Posts
Likes Given: 377

A 14 yo "Kid" with a knife is a threat. IMHO, if that threat is directed at you, all of the subtle nuances that people argue over fall by the wayside. Neutralize the threat or die.
FWIW, warning shoots seem to cause more problems than they solve.

Quote:
I agree that a 14 year old with a knife can kill you. I never said that he could not. I was referring to how his 6 year old daughter would see it. Being witness to an event like that could scar her for life...
What would scar her more, her father dealing with an armed punk or watching her father get stabbed? If someone's gotta lose, it might as well be the punk.
I think the baddest person there was the punk's mom.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #17

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
Kill a boy in cold blood.

What a joke. A 14 year old with a knife can kill you.
Ya sound like a Travin Martin sympathizer.
I almost had to shoot a 14 year old boy with a knife one time. I was dispatched to a juvenile assault on a parent, when i arrived the mother was outside and her 14 year old son was chasing her in the front yard with a butcher knife. I ordered the boy to drop the knife and he just turned around facing me staring at me, he was about 25ft away from me. I drew my sidearm and trained my sights center mass, i ordered the boy to drop the knife but instead he started slowly walking towards me gripping the knife. I ordered the boy one last time to stop or i was going to shoot him, right when i was squeezing the trigger he stopped and dropped the knife. There was no thought in my mind that he was just a boy,he was only seen as an armed threat. He was lucky for sure

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 07-17-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 704

OP, it sounds to me you acted extremely well. and by all means if it was me and this kids mom had not intervened, that punk would not be having a good day. also, DO NOT ever fire a warning shot. if you fire a warning shot it means you have time to run or escape the situation, and often leads to charges against you. if he had continued to aproach you or charge you and you drew your sidearm. it should IMMEDIATELY be centered on his chest cavity.
the only thing i would say is to verbally tell the kid before you draw that you will defend yourself if he doesnt stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
You asked for opinions....so here is mine. This is why I choose not to carry. It is too much responsibility and if you pull it out...you better be prepared to use it with deadly force. Firing a warning shot is the worst idea. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble for that. Even pulling or flashing your gun will get you in a heap of trouble. I have 3 daughters so I get the parenting thing. I would have taken my child to the opposite end of the swim area and enjoyed the water. You could either ignore the cussing and hope your daughter does as well. Or you take the opportunity to explain to your daughter how not to behave. You had no right to disipline those other kids and your attempt only made it worse. As a last resort, you could have left and gone to the playground. Obviously the kid was stopped by a mother's back hand....so I think a .40S&W is a little overkill. I think your daughter would suffer much more seeing her father kill a boy in cold blood compared to hearing a few f bombs. I am sure that many will disagree with me....and that's fine. You asked for opinions, and this is mine.
and i disaggree that they should of ignored the problem. especially as he was not the only person noticing and speaking to the kids about there behavior. there behavior is a direct reflection upon the parent(S) and those kids should have known better. its sad that it takes the parents of other kids to have to even mention more than a reminder to kids. especially kids of those ages that should know how to act politely in public.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 07-17-2012 at 04:29 PM.
snyder77 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
The world would've been a better place if you shot him. Hopefully he runs into someone not as rational minded as you. Good restraint on your part.
I like this and will add you likely would have been saving someone's life down the line. These little sh!ts are just gonna end up in the system and costing us all money in the future.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895
You asked for opinions....so here is mine. This is why I choose not to carry. It is too much responsibility and if you pull it out...you better be prepared to use it with deadly force. Firing a warning shot is the worst idea. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble for that. Even pulling or flashing your gun will get you in a heap of trouble. I have 3 daughters so I get the parenting thing. I would have taken my child to the opposite end of the swim area and enjoyed the water. You could either ignore the cussing and hope your daughter does as well. Or you take the opportunity to explain to your daughter how not to behave. You had no right to disipline those other kids and your attempt only made it worse. As a last resort, you could have left and gone to the playground. Obviously the kid was stopped by a mother's back hand....so I think a .40S&W is a little overkill. I think your daughter would suffer much more seeing her father kill a boy in cold blood compared to hearing a few f bombs. I am sure that many will disagree with me....and that's fine. You asked for opinions, and this is mine.
That's a negative right there. If you
Read it he said he got his daughter out and started to dry her off. So he attempted to leave and avoid the situation escalating.

I can also say I have personally drawn my weapon and aimed it at a man in Walmart parking lot. And I did tell the police I drew and aimed my gun. Nothing happened they took my gun Ltc and drivers license. Ran my info gave me my stuff back made a report and told me to have a nice day.