Could I have shot a kid? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 369 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 6

not to keep flogging a dead horse, but...i agree the situation could've been avoided in the first place, but at the same time the OP had no idea a couple words would result in the kid pulling a knife & things gettin that out of hand.

every generation thinks the one after them is worse, but i don't know if kids today are any more obnoxious or defiant than they were 15 or so years ago, when i was that age. i can honestly say in the same situation me & my friends would have told the OP to get f*cked at that age, but we've all long since grown out of that. pulling a knife on the other hand, never would've done that.

to the teens on the forum, some of you will always be "damn kids!!" to someone older. i'm 31, a couple months ago i was shopping with the girlfriend & while waiting in the checkout line we realized we forgot something. i went to get it while she stayed in line & when i came back there were a few senior citizens that had lined up behind us in line. i got back in where my girlfriend still was & overheard one of old guys say "ya know when i was young i was taught to respect my elders." a pretty clear dig at me for "budgeing" in line. even at 31, i was just another "damn kid"

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #162

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1
not to keep flogging a dead horse, but...i agree the situation could've been avoided in the first place, but at the same time the OP had no idea a couple words would result in the kid pulling a knife & things gettin that out of hand.

every generation thinks the one after them is worse, but i don't know if kids today are any more obnoxious or defiant than they were 15 or so years ago, when i was that age. i can honestly say in the same situation me & my friends would have told the OP to get f*cked at that age, but we've all long since grown out of that. pulling a knife on the other hand, never would've done that.

to the teens on the forum, some of you will always be "damn kids!!" to someone older. i'm 31, a couple months ago i was shopping with the girlfriend & while waiting in the checkout line we realized we forgot something. i went to get it while she stayed in line & when i came back there were a few senior citizens that had lined up behind us in line. i got back in where my girlfriend still was & overheard one of old guys say "ya know when i was young i was taught to respect my elders." a pretty clear dig at me for "budgeing" in line. even at 31, i was just another "damn kid"
Lol, I guess we are all "damn kids" to someone. Like how we're someone else, to someone else.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #163

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I don't understand why make a big deal about the kids cussing. Get over it, the child was no more the wiser and is bound to hear it soon enough anyway. Get over it, it's a stupid word and you give it the power by making it so taboo. That's on you.

I'm not going to excuse the teens behavior later. I was once a teenager who cursed like there was no tomorrow. I was approached by adults with children and as long as they asked with respect to their child that I desist in my current course of action I would do so as a mutual respect. This doesn't sound like the case. This sounds like your average self righteous rant by someone who puts way to much weight in a word and overreacts to the use of it around a child who had probably already heard it from mom and dad but definitely elsewhere anyway.
Yeah, there's several problems with your post here. Maybe you should go back and re read the OP.

Point one-The kids were asked several times, by two different people, to stop three foul language in proximity to several women and at least one small child.

Point two-The "parent on duty" over the teens was notified. She then took charge of the teens to (try to) fix the situation.

Point three-By your own admission of your own behavior, they should have knocked it off upon request. Wanna argue with yourself?

Nothing wrong was done on the OP's part IMO. Their behavior was rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, and the parent on duty with the kids didn't approve of it either. Is the parent in charge not the final arbiter on the matter?

Once you say "oh, no big deal", when the parent of the offending party says that it most definitely IS a big deal, then you're stepping across the line into telling how other people should raise their kids. Not to mention the fact that you pretty much, from my perspective, insulted the OP by basically saying it's no big deal for his kid to hear that language. You don't know him, you don't know his family, you don't know his ideals, you know nothing about how he raises his kids, and to say that she's likely already heard that kind of thing from him or her mom is a straight slap in the face.

I think it was handled exactly as it should be. And I'd've ventilated the turd if he'd dared advance any further.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #164
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8505 Times on 4922 Posts
Likes Given: 11055

You did the right thing all but at the end. You should have gotten the names of the witnesses and reported the boy to the police for pulling the knife. Granted, it might only speed his career as an incarcerated criminal but that is not your doing. The way it was left, where everybody just went home, the boy learned nothing. Momma beating his ass is not going to teach him anything because it obviously has not taught him anything in the past. Having Mr. Policeman cuff his juvenile ass for committing a criminal act might get the word through that thick testosterone-fogged skull of his that what he did was criminally stupid.

The next young father of a 6-year-old girl playing in the water at the public swimming hole might just get stabbed to death in front of his daughter because the last time the little punk pulled a knife his momma stopped him before he had a chance to meet Mr. Gaston Glock in your hands (or hand- I have a 27 too.).

Old 12-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #165

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

Yeah, there's several problems with your post here. Maybe you should go back and re read the OP.

Point one-The kids were asked several times, by two different people, to stop three foul language in proximity to several women and at least one small child.

Point two-The "parent on duty" over the teens was notified. She then took charge of the teens to (try to) fix the situation.

Point three-By your own admission of your own behavior, they should have knocked it off upon request. Wanna argue with yourself?

Nothing wrong was done on the OP's part IMO. Their behavior was rude, crude, and socially unacceptable, and the parent on duty with the kids didn't approve of it either. Is the parent in charge not the final arbiter on the matter?

Once you say "oh, no big deal", when the parent of the offending party says that it most definitely IS a big deal, then you're stepping across the line into telling how other people should raise their kids. Not to mention the fact that you pretty much, from my perspective, insulted the OP by basically saying it's no big deal for his kid to hear that language. You don't know him, you don't know his family, you don't know his ideals, you know nothing about how he raises his kids, and to say that she's likely already heard that kind of thing from him or her mom is a straight slap in the face.

I think it was handled exactly as it should be. And I'd've ventilated the turd if he'd dared advance any further.
That's not what I read or reread and I stick firmly to my previous statements, but whatever floats your boat. I'll just never understand someone letting a few words escalate to such a situation. But it happens daily and I do understand one being exceedingly protective, especially when it comes to their children. So I can see where things turn much more easily in such a case. I think it was handled poorly.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 12-12-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #166

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15
Your daughter comes before any other kid. That kid was old enuf to know what he was doing. If you did have to draw your glock the sight of it alone should have stopped him. If not I would fire a warning shot and yell at him to stop. If he continued down the steps well you got to do what you got to do. There is no way you would ever get over killing a kid. But you would hate your self more if you let your daughter get hurt.
I thank you handled the situation very well.
I am sorry you had to deal with that kind of crap on what was suppose to b a relaxing day.

As for a warning shot, that is a bad choice. We're is that warning shot going? What if it hit someone else? In my opinion, you never fire a warning shot. My warning is "STOP". If they don't then bang. Too many bad things can come from a warning shot. If he doesn't run away from the gun itself then a warning shot is just wasting ammo.

As for the question. There is no good way to handle a kid trying to kill you or your family but at the end of the day, me and my family are going home safe. They made their choice and that may be their last. You handled it good for the situation.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #167
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8505 Times on 4922 Posts
Likes Given: 11055

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
I am sorry you had to deal with that kind of crap on what was suppose to b a relaxing day.

As for a warning shot, that is a bad choice. We're is that warning shot going? What if it hit someone else? In my opinion, you never fire a warning shot. My warning is "STOP". If they don't then bang. Too many bad things can come from a warning shot. If he doesn't run away from the gun itself then a warning shot is just wasting ammo.

As for the question. There is no good way to handle a kid trying to kill you or your family but at the end of the day, me and my family are going home safe. They made their choice and that may be their last. You handled it good for the situation.
Your only warning shot should be the words coming out of your mouth "Stop or I will shoot."
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #168

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

1. Good for you for having the dedication to carry at a beach. Curious were you wearing swim trunks? 2. I think you were being a good father and trying to protect your daughters innocent ears. I am not a father myself but where I come from you never cuss in front of women and children. 3. I personally would've started shouting at the kid to stop moving the moment I saw the knife and probably would have drawn and fired after he took two steps. But overall I feel you handles the situation well.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #169

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts

Perhaps the op found the moral courage to intervene since he was carrying. Where as if he was not may have chosen to move on.
In a correct society you would ask the kids to behave and they would show you respect. This day and age getting involved often leads to great risk. That's why most people will not get involved.that is what is wrong with our society. I think the op did the correct thing morally but took a far too risky path in doing so. But hey isnt hignsight wonderful?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #170

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

since you DID "jump" the line, the people behind you were right to complain. Just because somebody LET you "jump in" the line again doesn't make it right. You screwed up and forgot something? ok, start at the back of the line, like everyone ELSE does.