Could I have shot a kid? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

How about a light 155 grains @ 1203 fps?
forumrunner_20120722_065438.jpg  

Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #112

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think it would get the job done. I actually prefer med to light weight rounds per caliber. I've got my own theories on that ,and prefer velocity over weight most of the time

Old 07-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #113

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTF
I think it would get the job done. I actually prefer med to light weight rounds per caliber. I've got my own theories on that ,and prefer velocity over weight most of the time
To each their own. I'd shoot freaking bowling balls if I could.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #114

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
To each their own. I'd shoot freaking bowling balls if I could.
Bowling pins are a hoot to shoot

Old 07-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #115

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It is our god given right to protect ourselves and our families from iminent danger, it doesnt matter if the BG is a 14 year old kid, ive seen plenty of "kids" make LEOS call for back up while on their backs. I had a 17 year old girl high off of xanax and alcohol give me a run for my money one night, she even bent a pair of my handcuffs beyond operation, thats for another story though.

If any person pulls a weapon on me and has the ability and intent on using that weapon, we are gonna have a come to jesus meeting, and im in charge of the schedule.

Last edited by MrWray; 07-22-2012 at 05:30 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #116

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
It is our god given to protect ourselves and our families from iminent danger, it doesnt matter if the BG is a 14 year old kid, ive seen plenty of "kids" make LEOS call for back up while on their backs. I had a 17 year old girl high off of xanax and alcohol give me a run for my money one night, she even bent a pair of my handcuffs beyond operation, thats for another story though.

If any person pulls a weapon on me and has the ability and intent on using that weapon, we are gonna have a come to jesus meeting, and im in charge of the schedule.
Amen my friend---Amen

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #117

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So your saying you would help him to see the light?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #118

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTF
So your saying you would help him to see the light?
If light equals muzzle flash...?
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #119

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

If light equals muzzle flash...?
We're on the same page bro

Old 07-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #120

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

There isn't much I can say that hasn't been said already. It seems most of us are in agreement: Family first. Always.

I support your notion to stand your ground, but I'd like to critique one action you made that seemed to escalate the situation. I mean no disrespect, I simply feel that a bit more tact might have been useful.

You mentioned that the mother was fighting to contain the boys in her vehicle. This caused a scene, and you alluded to the comical nature of this stating that you and others shared a laugh. Perhaps that laughter was the last grain of salt in the wound. The boys are tasting defeat, heavily seasoned with embarrassment, and now find themselves at the butt-end of a mean joke. The way you tell the story implies that your laughter immediately preceded the presentation of the knife. Is it possible the knife would have stayed sheathed in the absence of the laughter?

Hypothetical solution:
The boys fighting to escape the vehicle are still swearing. Your family is still in earshot. You place your hands over your daughter's ears and draw her in to your chest in a protective embrace. You refuse to acknowledge the continuing verbal assault and you avert your gaze, only maintaining the necessary 'watchful eye.' One of three things happen:
A) The boy draws the knife and presents it to the last party that provoked him, the other man who laughed. Your family is not the immediate target.
B) The boy does not present the knife, as your refusal to acknowledge him grants him the satisfaction of victory.
C) The boy draws the knife on you, and you act accordingly.

I am almost certain that I do not possess the tact and awareness to act in the manner I have described above, but I feel that we all benefit from discussing the details of these situations and exploring the options to de-escalate them. As previously stated, I commend your actions and mean no disrespect. While I was not present to bare witness, your story depicts a minor act of provocation which seemingly led to violence. The lesson I take from this is to carefully monitor my actions, and more importantly, how they might be interpreted by an aggressor.

Other than that, you done good Dad!

Side note: Will somebody please create one of those dramatic 1911 pictures on a black background that reads, "230 grains of instant act right" in white Times New Roman? Y'all know the picture I'm talking about. Pure genius Mr. Wray.