Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Could I have shot a kid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 59 Times on 27 Posts

Thank you everyone for the great response to this post. Many of you have truly helped me properly process this incident, and I'm feeling much better about the way I handled it. I would like to set a few things straight though. It was never a question in my mind as to what length I would of went to protect my daughter. Looking back on the situation now, I know without a shadow of a doubt that if that kid would of made it to my daughter and I with that knife in his hand, I would of shot him. If anyone disagrees with me pulling the trigger at that moment, then you are a fool! No one with a knife in their hand that has already stated they are going to "cut me".. is ever getting that close to my children, or wife for that matter. I would also like to thank everyone who has helped explain to me how a threat can come from ANYONE...not just the classic BG I've trained myself to be aware of. I feel I've been seriously narrow minded in assessing the threats around my family and I. From now on, EVERYONE is a threat as far as I'm concerned. I also appreciate everyone who agreed with the way I handled the situation and stated they would of done the same thing. I take the responsibility of carrying and concealing my firearm very serious. I have trained hard (about 6000 rounds so far this year) and read almost anything I can get my hands on about safety, reacting to threats, proper shooting techniques etc. I guess with this being the first real time I've ever felt the need to pull it, it kinda threw me off by being on a 14 year old. Hearing most of you agree that you would of done the same thing has really helped me get past this feeling of guilt and realize that protecting my family is my number one job...No matter who the threat is. Now, let me set the record straight about CCW on COE land. If you have a CCW in this state, you are allowed to carry on COE land. Obviously you cannot open carry on COE land, but you can also carry firearms for hunting. I fish on a COE lake on a very regular basis, all three DNR officers that work the lake, know I CCW and there has never been an issue. About ten years ago they changed the law because of all the people who were getting in trouble for CCW on COE property......Anyway....I was thinking about bringing up some of the nuttier than squirrel sh!t things dks brought up, but I've enjoyed watching all of you guys bat down his spineless, pacifist logic. People like you, dks..have contributed more to the degradation of this society than anything I can think of. You don't stand for anything, and I'd imagine you probably run from just about everything. I was not raised that way, and I'll be damned if some punk teenagers run my daughter and I from a public place because I'm scared of confronting their bad behavior...but I digress, to each their own. Once again everyone...Thanks So Very Much for all the replies!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #92

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Started to wonder if you were coming back!!

Thanks for the clarification...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #93

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerGlocker View Post
If you have a CCW in this state, you are allowed to carry on COE land.
Can you post your state's exemption from the federal regulation?

BTW, I also am glad the way things turned out for you in your difficult situation.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 07-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #94

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You did a good job of analyzing the situation and holding off as far as I'm concerned. I have two daughters 1 20mo. and 1 6yo like yours . Putting myself there I don't know what I would have done . The second I saw the knife and he started towards US I may have shot him. It would have sucked , but not as bad as option 2. Pools and water parks are the worst man, I don't think I've been to one yet where I didn't have to get on someones kid for cussing, being rough near my daughter or literally taking her toys from her hands. All the while the worthless parents sit idle in their "it takes a village" BS bliss. I don't enjoy yelling at someone elses kid , but I'm not gonna teach my daughter to crawl and I sure as hell don't enjoy having to parent someone elses kid. My only question is where can I find those tactical swimming trunks?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #95

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I happen to work in the Juvenile Justice system and I'll be the first to tell you that those lil fu@$(( are just as dangerous and deadly as any 21 year old or older. Just because of someone's age does not make them any less dangerous as someone twice their age. These fine young men are what keep the adult system in business. Juveniles rape, Rob, and murder everyday and if you concentrate on lil Johnny being 14-16, he's only a kid, you will find yourself dead because lil Johnny doesn't Care that he is only 14-16, lil Johnny doesn't Care about anything or anyone. Those who hesitate usually only get to make that mistake once.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #96

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerGlocker View Post
Thank you everyone for the great response to this post. Many of you have truly helped me properly process this incident, and I'm feeling much better about the way I handled it. I would like to set a few things straight though. It was never a question in my mind as to what length I would of went to protect my daughter. Looking back on the situation now, I know without a shadow of a doubt that if that kid would of made it to my daughter and I with that knife in his hand, I would of shot him. If anyone disagrees with me pulling the trigger at that moment, then you are a fool! No one with a knife in their hand that has already stated they are going to "cut me".. is ever getting that close to my children, or wife for that matter. I would also like to thank everyone who has helped explain to me how a threat can come from ANYONE...not just the classic BG I've trained myself to be aware of. I feel I've been seriously narrow minded in assessing the threats around my family and I. From now on, EVERYONE is a threat as far as I'm concerned. I also appreciate everyone who agreed with the way I handled the situation and stated they would of done the same thing. I take the responsibility of carrying and concealing my firearm very serious. I have trained hard (about 6000 rounds so far this year) and read almost anything I can get my hands on about safety, reacting to threats, proper shooting techniques etc. I guess with this being the first real time I've ever felt the need to pull it, it kinda threw me off by being on a 14 year old. Hearing most of you agree that you would of done the same thing has really helped me get past this feeling of guilt and realize that protecting my family is my number one job...No matter who the threat is. Now, let me set the record straight about CCW on COE land. If you have a CCW in this state, you are allowed to carry on COE land. Obviously you cannot open carry on COE land, but you can also carry firearms for hunting. I fish on a COE lake on a very regular basis, all three DNR officers that work the lake, know I CCW and there has never been an issue. About ten years ago they changed the law because of all the people who were getting in trouble for CCW on COE property......Anyway....I was thinking about bringing up some of the nuttier than squirrel sh!t things dks brought up, but I've enjoyed watching all of you guys bat down his spineless, pacifist logic. People like you, dks..have contributed more to the degradation of this society than anything I can think of. You don't stand for anything, and I'd imagine you probably run from just about everything. I was not raised that way, and I'll be damned if some punk teenagers run my daughter and I from a public place because I'm scared of confronting their bad behavior...but I digress, to each their own. Once again everyone...Thanks So Very Much for all the replies!!!
People like me have contributed more to the degradation of this society than anything I can think of. Really? Why, because I choose to enjoy the time with my family rather than boss around some teenagers and risk my child's safety. Just because you are carrying a gun doesn't make you the one in control of others. It's that mindset that gives all of us gun owners a bad rap.

I don't stand for anything, and you'd imagine I probably run from just about everything. Really? That's why I continue to back up my beliefs in this ridiculous thread. But I'm a coward and run from controntation. Whatever.

I find it very disconcerting that you, and many others on this forum, are so narrow minded and childish. We obviously disagree on this topic, but you all get your jollies off by calling me names and high fiving each other. Where are the mods? My respect for this forum is dwindling at a rapid rate.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
People like me have contributed more to the degradation of this society than anything I can think of. Really? Why, because I choose to enjoy the time with my family rather than boss around some teenagers and risk my child's safety. Just because you are carrying a gun doesn't make you the one in control of others. It's that mindset that gives all of us gun owners a bad rap.

I don't stand for anything, and you'd imagine I probably run from just about everything. Really? That's why I continue to back up my beliefs in this ridiculous thread. But I'm a coward and run from controntation. Whatever.

I find it very disconcerting that you, and many others on this forum, are so narrow minded and childish. We obviously disagree on this topic, but you all get your jollies off by calling me names and high fiving each other. Where are the mods? My respect for this forum is dwindling at a rapid rate.

Best wishes to you and your family.
well in no way was i trying to come off as bashing you. or what you choose to do. i just dont understand. as apperently many others on here of why you would leave the area? you as an adult and us citizen should have equal rights to enjoy public places and speak up when something is morally, and ethicly wrong. such as kids using vulger language in public. you may think theres nothing wrong that, okay. but i remember greatly the one time i used a vulger word my fathers hand was across my cheek in a nano second. in 200 years the social changes to what is considered acceptable behavior is scary.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #98

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im not gonna bash dks for the decision that he makes, it is his decision after all......BUT

If im in a public place with my family trying to enjoy my day, we have just as much a right to be there as anyone else there and i REFUSE to be ran out by anyone. If i hear someone being loud and disrespectful i am gonna confront them and tell them to please show some respect for others and tone it down "there is not a thing wrong with that and it IS NOT considered looking for a fight". Now what the person(s) decides to do is out of my hands but i have all possible options covered. If they decide to listen and stop being beligerent and continue to enjoy their day, that is great "remember thats all i wanted". If they decide to approach me and try to start an altercation "unarmed" i will usher my family away from the location and attempt to leave myself. If the BGs will not allow me to leave,well then they just unleashed hell on earth. If anyone comes at me with a weapon in hand, i will dispatch the threat(s) with deadly force, 230 grains of instant act right.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

People Like This 
Old 07-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #99

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
If anyone comes at me with a weapon in hand, i will dispatch the threat(s) with deadly force, 230 grains of instant act right.
230 grains of instant act right. I'm going to remember that line.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #100

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Im not gonna bash dks for the decision that he makes, it is his decision after all......BUT

If im in a public place with my family trying to enjoy my day, we have just as much a right to be there as anyone else there and i REFUSE to be ran out by anyone. If i hear someone being loud and disrespectful i am gonna confront them and tell them to please show some respect for others and tone it down "there is not a thing wrong with that and it IS NOT considered looking for a fight". Now what the person(s) decides to do is out of my hands but i have all possible options covered. If they decide to listen and stop being beligerent and continue to enjoy their day, that is great "remember thats all i wanted". If they decide to approach me and try to start an altercation "unarmed" i will usher my family away from the location and attempt to leave myself. If the BGs will not allow me to leave,well then they just unleashed hell on earth. If anyone comes at me with a weapon in hand, i will dispatch the threat(s) with deadly force, 230 grains of instant act right.

Classic!! Love it!!!