a cop drop his gun in a mall - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

a cop drop his gun in a mall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I never will forget a broadcast by the late Paul Harvey. He had just reported a bad act by a policeman. Then he said, & I paraphrase, you may hear about a few bad police officers, but they still have a better record than the clergy.
At least for now they do. I don't knock all cops, but the ones here kind of earned a little disrespect. Now the ones in my Mom's town are great, even though the one black guy is illiterate, he's still professional as hell.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
How about the ones who sell drugs? I had one in my apartment building selling crystal meth. He was reported, slapped on the wrist with an unpaid vacation, and went back to work in 2 weeks. Face it, they're not all golden. But I also know they're not all rotten either.
Quite obviously ANY officer worthy of the badge would agree with you 100% I would personally rail the SOB into a cell myself with no qualms.

You CAN'T be a "cop" without integrity. You can have the job, you can have the things that go along with it...but you can't BE a "cop".

When I was a kid, we used to hear "If you're in trouble...find a policeman."

Now the LAST thing you hear from a parent is that sage advice. Maybe I am spoiled living in the small town I do...I still tell my daughter to find a police officer.

We NEED good old fashioned "cops" again, and we still have them, they just don't make the news any more.

Pretty freakin' sad. Still...I am damned proud of the job I did.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #33

Yeah, small towns, see my above post.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

.....well......reviewing the thread, it appears;

- we have a bunch of good cops (the majority).

- we have, what may be, a growing number of bad cops (the minority).

- we would all like the bad cops to be weeded out (not likely to happen soon).

- we have no immediate solution to weed out the bad, as they have been there since the beginning of cops (lots of talk, but we have no reasonable action plan).

- we know any cop worth his salt will be offended when he/she is grouped with the bad ones (and some have insinuated this).

- we know any cop worth his salt will express his/her restraint when faced with comments questioning the integrity of cops as a group (as had been done here in this thread).

- we probably fear the bad cops in the federal government more than the state, county, or local governments (as in the example starting this thread).

- we have some members here, who have been the victim of bad cops and their opinion of cops in general is going to be tainted by those mistreatments (....understandable).

- there are places in the US (departments or agencies) that it seems to be more infested with bad cops, than other places (by a large margin).

Did I make a reasonable evaluation, or just throw JP4 on the flames?!?!

- what did I miss?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Even lady cops sometimes have an accidental discharge. But,then I guess that's better than a vaginal discharge. However, if the piece fired with a light touch like that, it either was cocked and not locked, or double action with a pretty light trigger. A pocket holster could have prevented the trouble.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix
what did I miss?
The only thing I think was missed is the process of weeding out the bad cops. It seems very simple to me. If a cop is caught red handed, and beyond a reasonable doubt have been involved in some wrongdoing, then maybe there should be an investigation performed by an outside party. And if the cop in question is found to have actually violated the standards to be upheld, then they should no longer be an officer. The cops in my town who were busted playing golf on duty, selling and stealing drugs are still cops and still on duty. Does this sound right to you?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #37

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
The fact is...MOST people wouldn't be charged criminally if they were carrying legally. Obviously, if any property damage were done, and I can assume there WAS since I understand it happened inside a structure, he would be on the hook for repair (which is only right), and it would be a civil matter.

True...there ARE charges that could be filed...BUT...absent injury and with no malicious intent most folks would get a "Shame on you for being stupid" lecture. He will PROBABLY catch a departmental rip and MAYBE get some time off without pay...which he should. I'd make him go through the ENTIRE pistol course at the academy again with newb recruits...but that's just me.

Why he wasn't carrying in a holster is anybody's guess. Our department MANDATED holster carry, which I totally agree with. My pocket BUG is always in a holster and I don't (WON'T) own a holster that doesn't cover the trigger guard. Tucking your pistol in your waistband may "look" cool to movie goers and "LETHAL WEAPON" fans...but it's nitwittery.

As for the DEA Agent who shot himself in the foot...double dumbass shame on him for being stupid. There was NO reason for him to take his "Fotay" out of it's holster in a classroom full of kids. If he wanted to show them a gun...he should have used a de-activated armorer's model.

Cops aren't perfect people, though we ARE held to a higher standard, and realistically should be. BUT...that being said...all the anti-cop flamers really can plant a smoochie on my tooshy. I have found the vast majority of cop flamers are jealous and really would like to be a cop but for whatever reason can't be. You have to EARN your badge. They don't hand them out to every nitwit who asks for one. True...some nitwits DO slip through the cracks...I know, I had to work with some of them. The reality is....they wind up going into management...or flaming out and going to work in the public sector.

Personally, I have cut breaks to civilians a LOT more often than I ever cut a break to other officers. I arrested an off-duty officer FROM MY DIVISION for DUI one night. I could have simply driven him home...but I always had ZERO tolerance for DUI. The fact that he was a douchetard notwithstanding. Especially since ALL he would have had to do is call one of us that were on duty and ask for a ride home or called a cab (cab companies here will give you a free ride back to your car in the morning if you call them!). My friends, even the non-cop type know that ALL they need to do is call me and I don't care what time it is, and I will go get them and bring them home.

The arrest didn't make me particularly popular with some others, but MOST of the people with whom I worked respected my decision. Integrity is doing the right thing when no one else is watching.

If you don't DO THE JOB...you don't have a clue about the job. Big freakin' deal if your cousin's husband used to be a cop so now you know it all...you don't know how hard it is just to DO THE JOB nowadays. Everyone second guesses EVERY decision you have to make RIGHT THE **** NOW from the luxurious position of a recliner or from watching a 15 second soundbyte on the evening news, then of course you rush to judgement before ANY of the facts are in between your seventh and eighth beer and slice of pizza while your guts grows ever farther past your belt line.

So, no, I am not defending the officer who dropped his weapon. Shame on him for being stupid. But I AM defending the job I did for over two decades. If you want to criticize ALL cops, get off your dead ass and try to BE one, then tell me how easy we have it.
All I was providing was the charges that sprang to mind of what the person could potentially be charged with, not a 'all cops suck and are automatically going to charge him' list.
I thought my opinion on LEO's was clear. The very vast majority are good. They're in a profession that typically deals with the dregs of society, which I can understand would lead to a slightly mistrustful attitude at times.
But doesn't mean they aren't doing the best they can. If anything, I think we need the justice system to quit being so 'forgiving' and releasing so many criminals back out into society just to start the whole cycle over again.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #38

http://m.desototimes.com/articles/2009/03/03/news/doc49ae0ea11851a527509673.txt

The only thing I can say in defense of these guys is that they were put on what seems to be a BS detail (necessary, yes) and I dont agree with the junior officers paying what seems to be the harsher penalty, I think it should have been the other way around. The steroid dealings I heard about from the ringleader's mom. He was a good friend of mine in HS and just went crooked as sometimes happens. Out of the supposed eleven who were involved in selling roids, he was the only one fired. The cop/meth dealer who was living in my apartment building got two weeks unpaid suspension, demotion, and that was it.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #39

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The only thing I think was missed is the process of weeding out the bad cops. It seems very simple to me. If a cop is caught red handed, and beyond a reasonable doubt have been involved in some wrongdoing, then maybe there should be an investigation performed by an outside party. And if the cop in question is found to have actually violated the standards to be upheld, then they should no longer be an officer. The cops in my town who were busted playing golf on duty, selling and stealing drugs are still cops and still on duty. Does this sound right to you?
I agree, the principle for weeding out the bad cops is simple. However my point was, the actual process action of doing so is more complex. If you, personally, had the authority and budget, I'm sure it would get done pretty quick. But, unfortunately you don't, I don't and it would appear the rest here do not either. But, yes, in principle it would seem rather simple.....cop does bad things, becomes bad cop, bad cop gets caught, bad cop gets prosecuted, bad cop gets punished. Of course this does happen, cops are being discovered to do bad things and rightfully and justly punished, meaning some are no longer cops and some are even in jail. To the point of the thread and your point, I think we agree, not enough bad cops are getting what they deserve. The fact this is true is proof we don't have a good executable action plan. Maybe the best place to start is with the city council and the mayor.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I agree, the principle for weeding out the bad cops is simple. However my point was, the actual process action of doing so is more complex. If you, personally, had the authority and budget, I'm sure it would get done pretty quick. But, unfortunately you don't, I don't and it would appear the rest here do not either. But, yes, in principle it would seem rather simple.....cop does bad things, becomes bad cop, bad cop gets caught, bad cop gets prosecuted, bad cop gets punished. Of course this does happen, cops are being discovered to do bad things and rightfully and justly punished, meaning some are no longer cops and some are even in jail. To the point of the thread and your point, I think we agree, not enough bad cops are getting what they deserve. The fact this is true is proof we don't have a good executable action plan. Maybe the best place to start is with the city council and the mayor.

yes, yes, and yes. There are some who get what they deserve. And yes there are many things I would change if in charge and given the resources (goes for local PD, local retail chains, the local Wal Mart, and many others. I'm sick of people not wanting to do their civilian jobs when so many are out of work) The city council are the ones who decided on the punishments in my above post. The punishments for the golf playing while on duty I think were pretty fair, except for the point I mentioned earlier (I've had to sit around waiting for several vehicles to be serviced myself, and that detail sucks). No, not enough bad cops get punished, or punished appropriately. And, another point we agree on it seems, the good still outnumber the bad. One thing I can't stand though is this concept of taking care of one's own by sweeping things under the rug. When I was in the service we didn't call it taking care of our own (USMC) or any kind of "fraternity/brotherhood" we called it policing our own, which is to say we would lay the legal smack down on one of our own when they messed up. This when for my time in the infantry as well as MP.