Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > a cop drop his gun in a mall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

herer the story

Gun Fired At Southridge Mall Belongs To Police Supervisor - Milwaukee News Story - WISN Milwaukee

Old 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

I agree- you use a holster. Grown ups carry guns- and as a grownup, you are supposed to be a responsible person. (altho my grandkids swear i am proof that it is never too late to have a happy childhood)

The problem I have with the story on its very face- this was a duty weapon that was "dropped" and discharged? WHAT?!?!?

Yes, I have dropped firearms- ranging from a .22 pistol to a belt fed MG. If you have never dropped a gun, you ain't been doing it long enough- you will. Yes, you weep over it later. I have had a service revolver come out of the holster during a foot chase, and get KICKED (sob!) sending it skittering down the sidewalk.

I have NEVER had a gun FIRE because I dropped it. So- what am I missing here?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think he should take a refresher corse in gun SAFETY! because there no EXCUSE fror what happend here.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #14

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Would this thread be the same witch hunt if the offender were a carry permit holder?
I've heard alot of ND stories, and this is the first LEO I've heard of in a LONG time.

LEOs are just people, nut they are people who try and keep your ass safe everyday, so yeah, they are on somewhat of a pedestal.

Did anyone get hurt? Was it intentional? Then why should it be criminal.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #15

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
That is disappointing.
PHP Code:
I hope that he willat the very leastbe required to get some additional firearms safety training
What would a regular citizen be charged with, a misdemeanor for firing a firearm in town or what?
He won't- after all----------hes a COP

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

The story claims that civilians are the ones responsible for nd. The ones i hear about seem to all originate with police issue weapons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I agree- you use a holster. Grown ups carry guns- and as a grownup, you are supposed to be a responsible person. (altho my grandkids swear i am proof that it is never too late to have a happy childhood)

The problem I have with the story on its very face- this was a duty weapon that was "dropped" and discharged? WHAT?!?!?

Yes, I have dropped firearms- ranging from a .22 pistol to a belt fed MG. If you have never dropped a gun, you ain't been doing it long enough- you will. Yes, you weep over it later. I have had a service revolver come out of the holster during a foot chase, and get KICKED (sob!) sending it skittering down the sidewalk.

I have NEVER had a gun FIRE because I dropped it. So- what am I missing here?
This supervisor is prolly one of the chief opponents of ccw by civilians and according to eyewitness reports in other stories there was no dropping of the gun. Milwaukee pd is run by a virulent leftist chief so it doesnt surpise me he is following the lefty mantra of do as i say not as ido and cover up his flunky's nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Would this thread be the same witch hunt if the offender were a carry permit holder?
I've heard alot of ND stories, and this is the first LEO I've heard of in a LONG time.

LEOs are just people, nut they are people who try and keep your ass safe everyday, so yeah, they are on somewhat of a pedestal.

Did anyone get hurt? Was it intentional? Then why should it be criminal.
I think we are pretty fair. We have raked non-pd nd over the coals before. The difference in a lot of cases is how many people are at risk if anyone got injured and how much covering up the police are doing.

I know i personally dont think anyone should be charged if no one else was injured. What everyone seems to object to is the pd's attempt to claim its ok since he was a cop supervisor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #17

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
yes it would. I've stepped in on more than one occasion here on this very forum and had to get some of these guys to lay off after someone admitted to having an ND.

Our members are vicious when it comes to firearm safety, no matter who it is.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #18

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

As far as whether or not the cop should be charged. All officers, military personnel, leaders, politicians, and anyone else in ANY TYPE OF LEADERSHIP POSITION/EXAMPLE SETTER should be held to the exact standards that our civilian population is held to.

The FL highway patrol woman arresting the Miami PD officer for speeding comes to mind. She did what's right.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Why is anyone surprised?

Off-duty Riviera Beach cop shoots himself while cleaning his gun

New York Police Detective Accidentally Shoots Self in Thigh - NYTimes.com

And the list goes on, and on, and on, and on...

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

As a "supervisor" this officer's job is to enforce standards. If he is unable to secure his weapon properly, perhaps he shouldn't be in a supervisory position.
I'd also be interested in knowing the type of gun that fires when dropped. I've always been under the impression that modern firearms were designed to NOT fire when dropped.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman