Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A conversation with a coworker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Irish, you have hit the nail on the head! something about being in the boyscouts many, many years ago has stuck with me, "be prepared".
Ding , ding, ding!!! Johnny tell 'em what they've won!!

like i have told my sons, having the correct gear along is the difference between a fun camping trip and a disasterous outing.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #22

See, now you all make me feel better about wanting to legally carry. I was in the boy scouts too; many years ago, be prepared has stuck with me. I guess I just hadn't made the connection.

I stick by the motto "attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure."

Stay safe, stay prepared

Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #23
DX1

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

You are right. I stand corrected. California, Massachussetts, and New York are other cases of states pretending to allow concealed weapons, but have failed to implement it for all but the connected wealthy and powerful.
That's not really an accurate portrayal of the situation in Massachusetts. As I said in another post a while ago, issuance of concealed carry permits in MA is up to the local chief of police. As a result, they are relatively easy to get in many rural towns and smaller cities -- hardly places inhabited by the wealthy and powerful. I got mine in a few weeks. But in cities like Boston or Cambridge it is nearly impossible to get a carry permit.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #24

Liked 16783 Times on 9730 Posts
Likes Given: 43815

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX1 View Post
That's not really an accurate portrayal of the situation in Massachusetts. As I said in another post a while ago, issuance of concealed carry permits in MA is up to the local chief of police. As a result, they are relatively easy to get in many rural towns and smaller cities -- hardly places inhabited by the wealthy and powerful. I got mine in a few weeks. But in cities like Boston or Cambridge it is nearly impossible to get a carry permit.
some states are different in how they issue CCW permits. Texas is a shall issue, meaning if you're legal to carry, they have no choice in whether they issue. some states, even if you meet all the criteria, and are legal, you can still be denied. hopefully the nationwide law will go into effect and will take it out of the states hands on this one. this is one case where federal law should trump state law. of course there are the four states that have it so if you are legal to buy, then you are legal to carry! i like that.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #25

My thought process on concealed carry is in-line with the Boy Scout motto, but goes to a more personal level.
I carry to protect myself and my family. I am kind of a do-it-myself kind of guy, and if something were to happen to my family or myself, and I hadn't done everything I could to prevent it, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. Some people are comfortable with giving the responsibility of self/family protection to somebody else, due to; laws, physical abilities, conscience, peer pressure, etc, and while some are valid reasons, I don't see any that apply to me. And to be realistic, I know in my area, police response time is about 15-20 minutes, given that I would be able to make a call in the first place. A lot of bad things can happen in that time. Why not cut the response time down to 1.5 seconds?
IMHO - YMMV

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
My thought process on concealed carry is in-line with the Boy Scout motto, but goes to a more personal level.
I carry to protect myself and my family. I am kind of a do-it-myself kind of guy, and if something were to happen to my family or myself, and I hadn't done everything I could to prevent it, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. Some people are comfortable with giving the responsibility of self/family protection to somebody else, due to; laws, physical abilities, conscience, peer pressure, etc, and while some are valid reasons, I don't see any that apply to me. And to be realistic, I know in my area, police response time is about 15-20 minutes, given that I would be able to make a call in the first place. A lot of bad things can happen in that time. Why not cut the response time down to 1.5 seconds?
IMHO - YMMV
pretty good advice. if you look at things in pure numbers, LE is overwhelmed. they are just plain outnumbered. thats just a fact, so therefore they are more reactionary to something bad after the fact. so it just stands to reason, that sometimes it's better to protect yourself and loved ones on your own rather than wait for them to show up. even if you cut those times by half or even a fourth, a lot of bad can happen in that time.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
You are right. I stand corrected. California, Massachussetts, and New York are other cases of states pretending to allow concealed weapons, but have failed to implement it for all but the connected wealthy and powerful.
You can add Maryland to that list. While there is a legal provision for gun carry permits in Maryland Law, it's up to the State Police to grant the permits, and applications are seldom approved unless a definite "need" to carry can be proved. In practice, only those "connected wealthy and powerful" in Maryland can "prove" the need to carry.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"A conversation with a coworker"

Just what does one do to 'ork' a cow? I've always wondered what is necessary to become a cow orker.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The other day, someone asked me "Why do you carry a gun? Are you planning on getting robbed?" I asked them "Do you wear seat belts?" When they said they did I said "Why? Are you planning on having an accident?"

I carry everywhere I go that it's legal to do so. I don't feel I'm arming myself to fight a war. Just being ready for the unexpected. Of course, everyone uses common sense and tries to avoid the worst areas where possible. But even in the best city in America, there is no place that is 100% safe. How many times have you seen a news story and hear someone say "I never thought that would happen here". The trap to avoid is slipping into the attitude that carrying a gun makes you invincible and allows you to do stupid things. I have seen people who carry so blatantly that it's obvious they carry. And they walk around like they are Wyatt Earp looking for the Clanton gang. Fortunately there are few of those around.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
The other day, someone asked me "Why do you carry a gun? Are you planning on getting robbed?" I asked them "Do you wear seat belts?" When they said they did I said "Why? Are you planning on having an accident?"

I carry everywhere I go that it's legal to do so. I don't feel I'm arming myself to fight a war. Just being ready for the unexpected. Of course, everyone uses common sense and tries to avoid the worst areas where possible. But even in the best city in America, there is no place that is 100% safe. How many times have you seen a news story and hear someone say "I never thought that would happen here". The trap to avoid is slipping into the attitude that carrying a gun makes you invincible and allows you to do stupid things. I have seen people who carry so blatantly that it's obvious they carry. And they walk around like they are Wyatt Earp looking for the Clanton gang. Fortunately there are few of those around.
well said Paladin. i agree with you on this. being prepared for the unexpected is not the same as looking for trouble. just because i wear a seatbelt, doesn't mean i go out looking to play demolition derby! just the same as a CC. as i heard another member put it, that made perfect sense, he didn't go anywhere with a CC, that he wouldn't go unarmed. shows he isn't looking for some excuse touse his firearm.

i also believe that if more people carried concealed, then the criminals would be wary, just because they would wonder who might be carrying! it might cause a sharp decrease in the crime rates.