A conversation with a coworker - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A conversation with a coworker

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

my philosophy is simple, better to have and not need, than to need and not have. i have fire extiguishers in my house, shop and vehicles and also first aid kits in all them as well. i carry lots and lots of insurance too.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jkl-28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fallon,Nevada
Posts: 175
Default

First few weeks when I started carrying I felt like my pistol stuck out and everyone knew that I had a concealed weapon and I was very careful about lifting my arms up high or bending down (I carryed small of back) and my holster would show!... Now it's very natural and don't worry about that anymore

__________________

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Jkl-28 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

I have carried (legally) now since 1968. I have had my bacon saved several times by the piece I was carrying. Fortunately in each case the BGs retreated before I fired, although I would have fired if they hadn't retreated. They were all armed, but maybe thought they were going to scare me to death. I carry everywhere it is legal, and nowhere where it is not legal. I lived in Indianapolis from 1979 to 2007, and it is a place where a license to carry is a good thing to have. I now live in South Carolina, where it is legal to keep a gun in your car any time, without a permit, as your car is considered an extension of your home. I do have a South Carolina permit, so I can carry even when I'm not in my car. Also, the South Carolina permit is honored in every state I travel to or through. In South Carolina, every law-abiding person is ENCOURAGED to obtain a CWP, and to carry a gun, by LE and even by the news media, They regularly have features on the TV and radio new stations advising people to get a CWP, and to carry. I feel no embarassment, no shame for carrying. It's like carrying a handkerchief in case you get a runny nose. But Chicago is dedicated to the concept of keeping the streets safe for criminals, and Illinois is now the ONLY state where people are denied the right to self defense.

__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I have carried (legally) now since 1968. I have had my bacon saved several times by the piece I was carrying. Fortunately in each case the BGs retreated before I fired, although I would have fired if they hadn't retreated. They were all armed, but maybe thought they were going to scare me to death. I carry everywhere it is legal, and nowhere where it is not legal. I lived in Indianapolis from 1979 to 2007, and it is a place where a license to carry is a good thing to have. I now live in South Carolina, where it is legal to keep a gun in your car any time, without a permit, as your car is considered an extension of your home. I do have a South Carolina permit, so I can carry even when I'm not in my car. Also, the South Carolina permit is honored in every state I travel to or through. In South Carolina, every law-abiding person is ENCOURAGED to obtain a CWP, and to carry a gun, by LE and even by the news media, They regularly have features on the TV and radio new stations advising people to get a CWP, and to carry. I feel no embarassment, no shame for carrying. It's like carrying a handkerchief in case you get a runny nose. But Chicago is dedicated to the concept of keeping the streets safe for criminals, and Illinois is now the ONLY state where people are denied the right to self defense.
I have a ton of trouble with that statement...some states the "law" may be on the books, but the practice of obtaining the license and then actually carrying are a different tale in real life. Then the restrictions put upon those that have actually gotten the license such where and when one might carry becomes so burdensome and complicated its not really worth it.

Here in IN its now state law that no municipality may make laws to curtail legal carry. Basically if you have your carry license, you may carry ANYWHERE in the state, save a building housing a court room.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chris78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Default

Even if right now I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable carrying all the time, I still plan on getting my FL permit for when I travel to my family's land in MO. I think that part of my personal hesitation to carry (once IL joins the free states) is that I've never been in a position that I have needed to. I've always been good at knowing my surroundings and avoiding confrontation.

I also try to get everyone I can, to honestly think about "gun control", the people that would do you harm with a weapon already have one, and won't obey the laws anyway. So exactly what good does it do to keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding.

Stay safe, stay prepared

__________________
Chris78 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pendleton, 29670,South Carolina
Posts: 2,586
Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I have a ton of trouble with that statement...some states the "law" may be on the books, but the practice of obtaining the license and then actually carrying are a different tale in real life. Then the restrictions put upon those that have actually gotten the license such where and when one might carry becomes so burdensome and complicated its not really worth it.

Here in IN its now state law that no municipality may make laws to curtail legal carry. Basically if you have your carry license, you may carry ANYWHERE in the state, save a building housing a court room.
You are right. I stand corrected. California, Massachussetts, and New York are other cases of states pretending to allow concealed weapons, but have failed to implement it for all but the connected wealthy and powerful.
__________________
AIKIJUTSU is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
Even if right now I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable carrying all the time, I still plan on getting my FL permit for when I travel to my family's land in MO. I think that part of my personal hesitation to carry (once IL joins the free states) is that I've never been in a position that I have needed to. I've always been good at knowing my surroundings and avoiding confrontation.

I also try to get everyone I can, to honestly think about "gun control", the people that would do you harm with a weapon already have one, and won't obey the laws anyway. So exactly what good does it do to keep guns out of the hands of the law abiding.

Stay safe, stay prepared
gun control laws are disguised as in our interests of public safety. most guns in the possesion of criminals are not bought or obtained through legal means. they are bought and traded for with drugs, stolen and sold on the blackmarket. so gun control laws when designed and implemented only serve to disarm a law abiding public, not criminals. criminals don't go into a gun store and fill out an FFL form and buy guns the legal way. sure they may obtain some this way with "straw purchases" but most are stolen or traded for. remember, when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 27
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

We prepare for so many "what if" situations.
What if it's going to rain today? That's why I keep an umbrella in my car.
What if my power goes out? That's why I have a backup generator.
What if something happens to my car? That's why I have car insurance.
What if I get sick or injured? That's why I have health insurance.
What if I were to die unexpectedly, what would happen to my family? That's why I have life insurance.

What if someone comes up to me with the intent to harm me?
How can I defend myself against a criminal with a weapon?
What should I do if some lunatic with a gun starts shooting and my family is in danger?
In Illinois the answer to the last three questions is call the police and pray for saftey.

As soon as I can carry legally, I will. Not because I am in a war zone and enjoy vigilante justice. I will carry a gun to be prepared for those "what if" situations. I want to be in the best position possible to protect the people I love the most.

__________________
Irishgiant215 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Creekside_Sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Yerington,Nv
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

You are right. I stand corrected. California, Massachussetts, and New York are other cases of states pretending to allow concealed weapons, but have failed to implement it for all but the connected wealthy and powerful.
I grew up in CA and once I turned 21 I went down and got my ccw. No hassles, long waits or tons of red tape. But then again average response time for ems was 45+ mins and the sheriff was even longer.
__________________

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.
Creekside_Sports is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgiant215 View Post
We prepare for so many "what if" situations.
What if it's going to rain today? That's why I keep an umbrella in my car.
What if my power goes out? That's why I have a backup generator.
What if something happens to my car? That's why I have car insurance.
What if I get sick or injured? That's why I have health insurance.
What if I were to die unexpectedly, what would happen to my family? That's why I have life insurance.

What if someone comes up to me with the intent to harm me?
How can I defend myself against a criminal with a weapon?
What should I do if some lunatic with a gun starts shooting and my family is in danger?
In Illinois the answer to the last three questions is call the police and pray for saftey.

As soon as I can carry legally, I will. Not because I am in a war zone and enjoy vigilante justice. I will carry a gun to be prepared for those "what if" situations. I want to be in the best position possible to protect the people I love the most.
Irish, you have hit the nail on the head! something about being in the boyscouts many, many years ago has stuck with me, "be prepared".
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Another Interesting Conversation Benning Boy The Club House 6 06-06-2011 04:24 PM
coworker gets new gun!!! Buns79 The Club House 27 01-05-2011 04:12 AM
New hunter here, just some general conversation ghh3rd Hunting Forum 6 08-21-2010 08:38 PM
Conversation with Ruger stalkingbear .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 22 04-17-2009 02:19 AM