A conversation with a coworker
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > A conversation with a coworker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default A conversation with a coworker

The other day I was having a conversation with a coworker, generally on the subject of firearms, self defense, and concealed carry. Mind you, we're in Chicago, so I wasn't really expecting the conversation to begin with.

My coworker would really like to be able to carry, and of course I completely agree that he should be able to, but that's a political discussion that is going to be a long, hard fight in this city.

I found myself telling him that as much as I would like it to be legal here just because of the reduction in crime that generally comes with an armed populous, I don't want to constantly carry and feel like I'm in a war zone.

I know there is no right or wrong on the personal decision to legally carry, but I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is; probably more so from people in the free states, about feeling like you're going into combat when leaving the house while carrying. Is this a necessary feeling to come to terms with to be able to carry comfortably? Or is it the sort of thing that just becomes natural after a while, like always having your keys and wallet?

Chris

Stay safe, stay prepared

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It comes natural after a little bit.
I don't feel like I'm going into a war zone. On the same note, I don't carry a tool box because I'm a mechanic, I keep it because my truck is old.
I don't carry a gun because I'm fighting crime or Al Queda, I carry it because some folks like to get stupid.
Luckily, I use the tool box much more than my gun.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I personally don't think I want the play the odds of someone thinking I may not be carrying.

Reality check is that there are more unarmed people than armed. But by all reports, major crime rates seem to be going down with more people getting their CWP.

I don't think of this as a war. But I have fire extinguishers and first aid kits nearby. And the firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Chris, not to sound like an ass...but your "walking into a war zone" statement tells me you have been indoctrinated by the Chitcago machine.

We live in the free state of IN, IL neighbor east and we dont have the "War zone" mentality.

Carrying is just something you do (if you so choose) because you "Just never know".

If you havent already noticed, the streets of Chitcago already ARE a war zone!!!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I live in VA I carry all the time. Initially I felt kinda strange in public with it ,like everyone knows but ofcourse they don't. Now I feel naked without it, and trust me that ain't a pretty sight.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #6

I find it nice to be prepared to defend myself or my family if necessary. I dont feel like im going to war everytime i step out of the house. I dont want to be naive either and think that everything is hunky dory. I have never been forced to draw or really even think about drawing my weapon but you never know what this life holds in the future

Old 12-27-2011, 02:20 AM   #7

I have to agree it did seem a little bit nervous the first couple of days I wasn't use to having that card in my wallet. But it does feel good to know that you are capable of having it as a citizen. I haven't had to pull my gun out on anyone but is prepared. I carry I small Glock,27 so I don't feel like i'm going to war it's light.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #8

I want to thank everyone that has replied so far.

FMJ - trust me, I know that Chicago is a war zone. It was bad 8 years ago when I joined the service (Navy, just call me a REMF), and it's only gotten worse. The crime has been moving into the areas of the city that have always been considered safe. But even after being in California for the past eight years, Chicago is still home, and I had to come back. Even with all that's wrong here.

Stay safe, stay prepared

Old 12-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"........just becomes natural after a while, like always having your keys and wallet."

Yep, it's like this for me.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1157 Posts
Likes Given: 770

I carry daily and it stays in my pocket until I head across the river into IL.

I do not feel like I'm in a war zone at all.

Think of it this way... I doubt anyone here would think of not carrying fire insurance on their home. The odds of being a victim of violent crime is greater than the odds of needing to use your fire insurance to cover any loss.

Carrying is simply insurance. I keep it, but I hope I never have to use it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA