Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

There is a really good article in this month's American Rifleman on choosing a self defense round.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #62

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderjason34 View Post
This is my first post in the forum and I would like to hear your opinion/personal experiences on carrying a subcompact .45 verses a compact 9mm like a Kahr cw9. I live in Northwest Indiana and we have had an increasing number of incidents where the victim has had to use lethal force to protect his or her life and or family. I carry a Kahr cw9 and a ruger lcp .380 as backup but I've been concerned about stopping power mostly just wanting to stop the threat in the minimal amount of force as possible. I'm a small framed guy and I have a hell of a time "concealing" my firearm. I've been looking at the kimber .45 carry pro for primary carry but have never shot one before. I'm looking for advice and knowledge and opinions about whether or not to upgrade to a .45 or keep my current cc setup, which is sometimes too "heavy" for me. Thanks and I look forward to discussion this with you guys!!
-Jason-
I beg to respectfully differ with the opinion that the 45ACP is a better "man stopper" than a 9MM. With today's modern state-of-the-art SD ammo, the 9MM, 40S&W and 45 ACP all perform about equally well. We didn't have such good SD ammo in days gone bye. The 45ACP use to be a superior defense round. But not so much today. And that term "man stopper" is mis-leading. There is no such thing as a one incapacitating (the assailant is instantly and physically incapable of continuing the fight) shot unless the brain or spine are hit. A hit just about anywhere from a 22 can cause an assailant to change his mind and retreat. The same is true of a 45ACP. But unless the brain or spine is hit, the assailant will not be physically incapacitated. Now people react differently to the shock of being shot, and this can sometimes temporarily incapacitate them. But it's not the caliber that causes this. In SD configuration, the 45ACP, 40S&W, and 9MM are all plenty good and up to the task, if they meet the FBI protocol handgun ammunition tests which call for minimum of 12" and a maximum of 18" of penetration through a very specific media with covering layers of fabric. Manufactures of standard SD ammo load to just over 12" of penetration. (see chart below) We want "enough" power/penetration, but not to much. Rounds that exit a target with lots of kinetic energy left are inefficient and dangerous.

To the OP. Your Kahr CW9 is already a pretty light gun (15.8 oz without mag). They don't get much lighter then that. Any 45 is gonna weigh more. And loaded with modern SD ammo your CW9 is more than up to the job, as long as you do your part. It's not the gun or caliber that will save your butt. It's skill and presence of mind. Get a new gun if that's what you want. (Heck! We always want/need more guns!) But don't delude yourself in to thinking bigger is better. That money may be better spent on ammo for more practice. Perhaps a different carry rig configuration would make your CW9 more comfortable and easier to carry. (But maybe still get that 45 just because they're fun to shoot.)

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 08-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #63

After reading the article in American Rifleman, it looks like the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr 9 mm +P is the winner!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #64

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit2winit
After reading the article in American Rifleman, it looks like the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr 9 mm +P is the winner!
Just finished the article. I was surprised that the penetration for the only 10 mm round tested was like 6.5 inches, when even .22s penetrated more. I'm no ballistics expert, but I'm wondering why the doubltap 135 grain jhp had such low penetration. Does anybody know?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #65

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Your 9mm is more then enough. Military and Leo everywere have been an still are using the 9mm. I think capacity and shot placement are way more important. Like the sayin goes, its not the size of the boat but how ya use it! Lol.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101

Just finished the article. I was surprised that the penetration for the only 10 mm round tested was like 6.5 inches, when even .22s penetrated more. I'm no ballistics expert, but I'm wondering why the doubltap 135 grain jhp had such low penetration. Does anybody know?
I'm just guessing, but if a big slow round hits something and mushrooms, its gonna get bigger and have more force on it, and get even slower..

Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #67

I think it's just like the article says...it's the right combination of velocity, penetration and EXPANSION.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
Your 9mm is more then enough. Military and Leo everywere have been an still are using the 9mm. I think capacity and shot placement are way more important. Like the sayin goes, its not the size of the boat but how ya use it! Lol.
Dude I love that avatar of yours, it's pretty awesome.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock

I'm just guessing, but if a big slow round hits something and mushrooms, its gonna get bigger and have more force on it, and get even slower..
Oh by the way, that load was anything but slow. I'm talking about 1,588 fps.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #70

Haha thanks man, Aw I didn't look at the velocity, guess I should have