Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Considering .45 caliber carry instead of 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

9mm alllll day 17+1

Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #52

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Dan View Post
It's being answered by people based on experience and personal opinion. Was that not the point of the asking?
Wasn't a shot at anyone Dan, just an observation. It's like Alex asked what time it is, and people tell him how to build a watch.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #53

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I was just clarifying. Calm down there, Ace...

Old 08-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #54

Liked 315 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It's like Alex asked what time it is, and people tell him how to build a watch.
Isn't that sort of like the adage about teaching a man to fish?
"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:00 AM   #55

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

There is a lot of good information here that is being passed on. I agree with a lot of you about the 9mm vs .45, both are great calibers plus there are a lot of great weapons that everyone carries.

Yet it all boils down to what you are willing to carry and shoot, comfortably all day. I am a large man so I can pretty much carry what ever I want to carry. I have carried full size 1911's, Sigs P220/226/229, as well as compact 1911's and my all time every where back up S&W Bodyguard.

When it comes to ccw most people forget to adjust their clothing size. A larger shirt and pants makes concealing a weapon easier. Not to mention purchasing a belt made for carrying handguns.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #56

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shot placement is key. I was also trained to "double tap". If they don't go down after the two shots, we were trained to take a head shot because they were probably wearing armor. This is called the Mozambique Drill and should be practiced often. I was raised to never pull a gun. If you have to pull one, shoot it. If you have to shoot it, shoot to kill. If your life isn't threatened, don't pull a gun! Btw, when not wearing work clothes I carry a G19 with Crimson Trace, Gol Dot 124gr +p, and holster it in a Milt Parks IWB Summer Special II. I have no problems doing this in sunny Florida. Shot placement and follow up IMO.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #57

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

My concealed carry piece is a high standard .45 (officers size)

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #58

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I carry a Kimber ultra all day every day, with practice it is accurate and deadly. It is easy for me to carry and I carry OWB. Just remember that you have to break a Kimber in

Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #59

Thank you guys for all the great advise!! For this being my first post, I didn't expect to have such a response. Lol. But I'm really happy it did bc you all have opened my eyes and I've gained useful knowledge from all of you For myself I've been shooting firearms for roughly 19 years and im 28 now. I've been carrying since the age of 21 responsibly. I've shot most caliber or handguns including both 9mm and .45 ACP. I can control a full size 1911 at shoot center mass at 50 yards along with my cc Kahr but not quit with my ruger LCP .380. I also carry a aegis SOG knife for times when deadly lethal force aren't needed. I've thought about possibly purchasing a .357 revolver instead of the .45 to upgrade my impact on target. My father has a colt python with a four inch barrel that shoots like a dream😃!!! But I would get a nub nose for easier concealment.

From what I understand shot placement is really the key rather than having a bigger caliber firearm in your hand and being confident and comfortable with your weapon system. How often do you guys train/shot and any holster tips or nice brand of holsters you all have come across that u love?? Thanx again, JA

Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #60

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderjason34
Thank you guys for all the great advise!! For this being my first post, I didn't expect to have such a response. Lol. But I'm really happy it did bc you all have opened my eyes and I've gained useful knowledge from all of you For myself I've been shooting firearms for roughly 19 years and im 28 now. I've been carrying since the age of 21 responsibly. I've shot most caliber or handguns including both 9mm and .45 ACP. I can control a full size 1911 at shoot center mass at 50 yards along with my cc Kahr but not quit with my ruger LCP .380. I also carry a aegis SOG knife for times when deadly lethal force aren't needed. I've thought about possibly purchasing a .357 revolver instead of the .45 to upgrade my impact on target. My father has a colt python with a four inch barrel that shoots like a dreamdde03!!! But I would get a nub nose for easier concealment.

From what I understand shot placement is really the key rather than having a bigger caliber firearm in your hand and being confident and comfortable with your weapon system. How often do you guys train/shot and any holster tips or nice brand of holsters you all have come across that u love?? Thanx again, JA
I love Serpa holsters by Blackhawk!, they are pretty cool and beat regular retention holsters in ease of use( they have a push button that is easily accessed when indexing the gun) they aren't too difficult to conceal but they are kind of expensive at around 60 dollars. I also sometimes use a Galco shoulder holster when I have a coat on. As for my shooting time? I have a berm that's like a 5 minute 4 wheeler ride from the house, so I shoot about 3-4 times a week.